New polo rline. Heater matrix cover cracked from factory. Poor service by vw and vw assist

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
CLIFFORD2K1
New
Drives: 1.0 115 sel dsg

New polo rline. Heater matrix cover cracked from factory. Poor service by vw and vw assist

Post by CLIFFORD2K1 »

Hi all, my polo r line is now around 6 wks old and it’s covered 600miles. When giving it its first gentle long run I noticed the lower left hand side of the cockpit was getting extremely hot and cooking my legs. This was extremely uncomfortable and not normal compared to my 19 plate sel. I rang the dealership today to book it in and they put me straight through to vw assistance (the Aa) as this comes with all new cars for the first year. The as chap came out and removed the trim and low and behold the heater matrix was blasting hot air out regardless off function of the heater controls as the bottom is smashed/ hanging off. I can only aassune this was done at the factory as the car is so new and also some of the wiring harness was not clipped in correctly. The aa chap advised this could be a big job. Dash out etc and that it needs to go back to the dealership. He rang vw as he called it and instructed I would need a courtesy car etc and needs to be dsg. Vw assist were great on the phone to him and it was passed on to me that I would get a hire car within 3 hours etc. no drama. We took the car to the dealership and he drove me home and I got a txt saying a car had been booked for me at my local enterprise. Here is where the fun starts. Enterprise rang me and said:
A:) we have no cars available today at all
B:) they only have authorisation for a 1 litle manual corsa

I then spent the next 4 hours frantily ringing vw, the dealership enterprise and vw assistance (the aa) with all of them fobbing me off left right and Centre. I was in the end given a old transit van as a vehicle by enterprise as it’s the only thing they had.

The terms state it is up to the aa to provide a vehicle for first 48 hours. The dealership are refusing to give me one as they have bone spare. But after 48 hours it is there responsibility apparently.

I very nearly went to get the car back as I can’t be without transport and considering I’ve paid a fortune to buy a brand new car I didn’t expect to be treat like this

Any advise on how to proceed?

Nor vw or the dealership seem to car they just fob you off with the worldwide car shortage etc and lack of vehicles. I’m pretty pissed a new brand new car is potentially gonna be ripped to bits to repair.

I’ve attached a pic of the damaged part
Attachments
C0032446-AA52-4E18-BCC7-0890F80FDB04.jpeg
C0032446-AA52-4E18-BCC7-0890F80FDB04.jpeg (4.44 MiB) Viewed 1161 times
5E954B81-4CF5-4052-934B-D313BF5CE226.jpeg
5E954B81-4CF5-4052-934B-D313BF5CE226.jpeg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 1161 times
50D2341C-FBFB-4C8C-8BCE-2456FBC604BF.jpeg
50D2341C-FBFB-4C8C-8BCE-2456FBC604BF.jpeg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1161 times
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Re: New polo rline. Heater matrix cover cracked from factory. Poor service by vw and vw assist

Post by KayakerPaul »

This is terrible news for you.
Hope you get a satisfactory resolution soon.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: New polo rline. Heater matrix cover cracked from factory. Poor service by vw and vw assist

Post by RUM4MO »

Why not name and shame your dealership, your initial contract to purchase that product is with them, surely they have either a demo car or quality trade in similar model with DSG that they grab from stock/demo to keep you going.

Unfortunately this sort of things can happen, probably due to the factory in South Africa not bothering too much over final inspection - or maybe more like many hidden areas of work are getting "self inspected".

To carry out that sort of task in the way the dealership is guided to do so by VW, the dashboard will need at least to be partially dismantled which is extremely annoying for the new buyer, rejecting that car is your only other option, but that will come with some limitations and as you hint at, not a very wise approach in the present car supply limitations.

I would have thought that a smart supplying VW dealer would have just have grabbed that car and bodged a temporary fix to cover you not getting any heat from that matrix into the cabin - and then provide you with a suitable DSG car ASAP - okay, that would amount to them spending workshop labour time that they would not get back from VW - but that is hardly your worry, do they not want to retain your business and that of your friends, neighbours associates - as that sort of thing is needed to drive continued sales!
CLIFFORD2K1
New

Post by CLIFFORD2K1 »

It’s very very bad news for me and like you say taking the dash out is a major concern to me probs be a whole host of issues after that.

The dealership just pass the book to vw roadside assistance who are the aa who couldn’t give a f**k your brand new vw is in the garage. Vw imo should be doing more and so should the dealership

The task of rejecting the car might be my only threat
KayakerPaul
Getting There!

Post by KayakerPaul »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thAk9YuqaJE
this guy had issues with his GTI - I haven`t followed the posts but I think he was going to reject it at some point. But it might be all sorted now.
The dealership or franchise must have a "spare " car coming for September, or whenever our batch is due to be shipped, to sell on the forecourt, I would be asking and hoping if I could swop mine for a different car. They have to be ordering cars to sell themselves , as they know they will sell them easily with no wait. Even if price is inflated.
Hoping it gets sorted for you soon.
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

I had three new polos from 2018 to 2020, all of them had problems that emulated from the factory, but ultimately were never resolved by the dealer, in the end the dealer made such a bad job of repairing the third one that they had to buy the vehicle back from me.
I was then left without a vehicle but I was stress free.
I’ll never buy another VAG group vehicle, and since 2020 have been happier in other manufactures vehicles.
I sold the 1st vehicle as a trade in to remove myself from the issues, rejected the 2nd vehicle after 24hrs and as above the dealer couldn’t really deny the damage they caused to my final one!!
Good luck, and don’t hang around waiting to get it fixed, use your consumer rights and move on.
CLIFFORD2K1
New

Post by CLIFFORD2K1 »

Thanks to all that have posted with advice. Still mulling over what to do long term. I did have some success in getting a courtesy car out of the dealership after failing to get any sense out of vw assistance. Bascially I had to Chuck my toys out of the pram and threaten rejecting the car for the manger or magaicly find me a Tiago r line demonstrator to use while mine is in the workshop this is the same dealership that had no cars the day before and fobbed me off. My worry’s now are the state my car will come back In or if I even want the thing now workmanship by this dealshio on previous cars has been shocking and they normally damage something while carrying out any work
KayakerPaul
Getting There!

Post by KayakerPaul »

Can't you keep the tiago until they get another R line in.
Even if it's intended as their demo, or one through their franchise chain .
Your car when fixed can be their demo then
Or is that too simple an option for VW. ?
A few of us seem to be,hopefully, having our cars in transit/shipping soon, so I would have hoped they could have found you a replacement in 6/8 weeks. As there has to be a few intended demo's on this boat.
What is your rights on a new car , as I know its 30 days from a second hand dealer.
You were lucky the faults/ poor quality control didn't cause you to have an accident.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

KayakerPaul wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:28 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thAk9YuqaJE
this guy had issues with his GTI - I haven`t followed the posts but I think he was going to reject it at some point. But it might be all sorted now.
The dealership or franchise must have a "spare " car coming for September, or whenever our batch is due to be shipped, to sell on the forecourt, I would be asking and hoping if I could swop mine for a different car. They have to be ordering cars to sell themselves , as they know they will sell them easily with no wait. Even if price is inflated.
Hoping it gets sorted for you soon.
He did get it sorted, quite unheard of really but then he was right and had the CPA (Consumer Protection Act) on his side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wRp3nCexz4
CLIFFORD2K1
New

Post by CLIFFORD2K1 »

Tbh I don’t no where I stand demanding a replacement car does anyone know the law? This one was built to my spec with the extras I want and colour etc. I’m not sure there would be any car for them to give me as a new replacement. Due to current demand I highly doubt considering the lack of new cars in the showroom and at the dealership and also the wait I had for this one that there are any spare cars coming to the dealership at the moment I was lucky to get in a pre build. Plus the dsgs are rare now as the r line dsg box is 2.5k more plus I went for the higher 110bhp . I don’t want to keep the Tiago I’m not that keen on it the back on the car looks cheap I don’t like it and the view through the rear view is poor. It’s identical inside to the polo. Plus the r line engine feels under powered for the Tiago weight of car and it’s high mileage for 9 months old. Tbh the heat out that cracked matrix was severe it was extremely hot to touch. I took into another dealership one hour away as it smelt and felt so hot after a hours running like something was going to set on fire but they fobbed me off saying the heat could be normal. I told them it’s not normal I had a polo sel 19 plate and it didn’t get hot. Honestly these dealships are clowns
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

You should name and shame. I had an awful time with Lookers Preston when my bluegt had issues from new a few years back. Took 18 visits in 12 months to get the car sorted and then I’d lost interest in it. Also had numerous issues with their servicing department, bunch of clowns.

Can’t say the same for Inchcape Bolton. When my wife had an issue on her United with water ingress they took it in for a look, ordered the parts and fixed it within the week as a liner had not been put in at the factory. No arguments, just an apology and a courtesy car. Was very impressed.

Now I come to think of it, every polo we’ve had between us (6 since 2012) has had some sort of issue or other but my two mk7 golfs, my t-roc and my current Tiguan have had none (touchwood). Maybe QC at the South Africa plant isn’t very good!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

CLIFFORD2K1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:55 pm Tbh I don’t no where I stand demanding a replacement car does anyone know the law? This one was built to my spec with the extras I want and colour etc. I’m not sure there would be any car for them to give me as a new replacement. Due to current demand I highly doubt considering the lack of new cars in the showroom and at the dealership and also the wait I had for this one that there are any spare cars coming to the dealership at the moment I was lucky to get in a pre build. Plus the dsgs are rare now as the r line dsg box is 2.5k more plus I went for the higher 110bhp . I don’t want to keep the Tiago I’m not that keen on it the back on the car looks cheap I don’t like it and the view through the rear view is poor. It’s identical inside to the polo. Plus the r line engine feels under powered for the Tiago weight of car and it’s high mileage for 9 months old. Tbh the heat out that cracked matrix was severe it was extremely hot to touch. I took into another dealership one hour away as it smelt and felt so hot after a hours running like something was going to set on fire but they fobbed me off saying the heat could be normal. I told them it’s not normal I had a polo sel 19 plate and it didn’t get hot. Honestly these dealships are clowns
It’s never good hearing of situations such as this. A new car is a major financial commitment for most people, and IMHO it’s not unreasonable to expect it’ll be in perfect condition, or that any issues highlighted by the owner are resolved swiftly to the owner’s satisfaction.

The article at the link below provides a good summary of your legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. There are other similar articles; just Google ‘consumer rights when buying a new car’ and you’ll find them.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/your-legal ... -car/n3307

Basically;
  • Within the first 30 days of ownership - if car is of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described; you’re entitled to a full refund.
  • After the first 30 days but within the first 6 months of ownership; you can request the fault be repaired or the car replaced. It’s assumed the fault existed at the time of sale unless the dealer can prove otherwise. The seller has one opportunity to fix the car, and if the repair is unsuccessful, you are entitled to a refund equivalent to the purchase price, with the dealer making an adjustment (reduction) to that price to reflect your usage of the car during your period of ownership. In the (unlikely) event the dealer is able to prove the fault wasn’t present at time of sale, then unfortunately you won’t be entitled to a refund.
  • If a fault is found after 6 months of ownership - the onus is on you to prove it existed when you bought the car. Not relevant in your case though, as your car is under 6 months old.
I’d say that in legitimate cases such as yours, acting swiftly to get a satisfactory outcome is important. Also, ensure any discussions (face to face or phone calls) with the person(s) at the dealership are followed up in writing / emails so you have a full record of events, should you need to take this matter further (e.g. the dealership’s general manager, Motor Ombudsman Bureau, official complaint to VW exec etc.). It might be worth copying in the General Manager of the dealership to any written communication, or get them involved early on with the objective of getting an early positive outcome - either a satisfactory repair or a replacement car of the same spec as your current car. IMHO staying calm and polite (even if you don’t feel that way) in any verbal and written communications is important, as it may influence the outcome of your situation.

Good luck 🤞. Please continue to keep the forum updated on developments.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:36 am You should name and shame. I had an awful time with Lookers Preston when my bluegt had issues from new a few years back. Took 18 visits in 12 months to get the car sorted and then I’d lost interest in it. Also had numerous issues with their servicing department, bunch of clowns.

Can’t say the same for Inchcape Bolton. When my wife had an issue on her United with water ingress they took it in for a look, ordered the parts and fixed it within the week as a liner had not been put in at the factory. No arguments, just an apology and a courtesy car. Was very impressed.

Now I come to think of it, every polo we’ve had between us (6 since 2012) has had some sort of issue or other but my two mk7 golfs, my t-roc and my current Tiguan have had none (touchwood). Maybe QC at the South Africa plant isn’t very good!
I’ve had cosmetic issues with every one of the five VW’s I’ve owned (mechanically, they’ve all been OK), ranging from misaligned body panels / uneven panel gaps, paintwork imperfections, a minor dent, and scratches in the paintwork. Two of the German built Golfs were the worst, my previous generation Spanish built Polo GTI was the best built by far. IMHO VW’s factory QC procedures and dealership PDI’s are poor. The issues have generally been fixed to an acceptable standard, but a brand new car shouldn’t be handed over to the customer in anything other than a brand new condition 😠.

After almost 20 years of VW ownership, there’s a good chance my next car won’t be a VW……..🤔
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I’ve a similar opinion, but the cars I like the look of are seats/cupras and Skodas. So they’re just a VW underneath….. just don’t like the look of many other brands. I like Volvo, but having had one from new they plummet in value and are priced as premium.
CLIFFORD2K1
New

Post by CLIFFORD2K1 »

So name and shame wise the branches in question are
Lookers vw Newcastle who I took the car too mid run who told me the car nearly setting on fire could be normal and I had to get a infa red heat gun on it my sled so they knew where it was getting hot.
And the dealership I bought from lookers vw Carlisle and is repairing