Polo AW GTI Fog lights DRLs

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Nasaa_97
New
Drives: 2.0 GTI

Polo AW GTI Fog lights DRLs

Post by Nasaa_97 »

Firstly, Hi all.

Hoping i can get an answer to this question because its bugging me now.

I'm trying to activate the led fog light for my polo, there's the normal halogen bulb for the fog light but on the outer sides of them they have led dots lets call them. I've seen many non GTI polos that have them on but just wondering how they turn on.
Apreciate it, thanks.
Attachments
16610450296953282244682756960519.jpg
16610450296953282244682756960519.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1316 times
Last edited by Nasaa_97 on Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Re: Polo AW GTI

Post by POLO Clive »

Welcome to UK-Polos Nasaa, I'm assuming that you will have LED headlights fitted to your GTI, if so the led DRLs you're referring to are just for show, your DRLs are built into the headlights.
You only get these lights with 'standard' non-led headlights.
Polo drls.png
Polo drls.png (358.81 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Nassa_97; The standard AW GTI model (and other AW Polo models) has halogen headlamps and as you’ve said, on AW Polos with halogen headlamps those outer sections do function as DRL’s. However, on the higher spec AW GTI+ model with LED headlamps and DRL’s integrated into the headlamp units (or other Polos where LED headlamps were spec’d by the first owner as an extra cost option) then those outer sections of the fog light / cornering light unit in the lower bumper aren’t operative. As far as I’m aware, they don’t contain any LED lighting units and aren’t wired up, so they’re purely cosmetic with no working functionality. I seem to remember there was someone on the forum a few years ago with one of the first AW GTI+ Polos who accessed the rear of that fog light / cornering light unit to check, as they were asking the same question as you, and it was just an empty void.

No doubt It would’ve been more cost effective (cheaper) for VW to fit the same fog light / cornering light / DRL lighting unit across the entire AW Polo range, rather than have a different specific unit for cars with LED headlamps.
Nasaa_97
New
Drives: 2.0 GTI

Post by Nasaa_97 »

That's a shame, thanks for responding so quickly guys. Just hoped there was some coding option with these. Unfortunate i guess.
Good health all! :D
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Re: Polo AW GTI Fog lights DRLs

Post by POLO Clive »

Just for reference, here's a previous discussion on the subject > https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=564699
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Wait till you find out that your led headlights are half fake too :D
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

You could have both the LED DRL in the headlight and the fog light working together but you would have to add a wire to the existing wire going into the BCM.

Scott
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

I have a question on the gti+ led headlights…

The drl that runs along the bottom is very bright, then is there a small slightly dimmer strip above the main headlight itself. I can’t work out why sometimes it looks like it is on then not at other times (the top part that is).
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

ad_182_uk wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:28 pm I have a question on the gti+ led headlights…

The drl that runs along the bottom is very bright, then is there a small slightly dimmer strip above the main headlight itself. I can’t work out why sometimes it looks like it is on then not at other times (the top part that is).
I’ve just been out and checked my car and have come to the conclusion it might be the position of the thin upper LED strip that gives the illusion of it sometimes working and sometimes not. It looks as if it’s almost tucked up out of sight under the top edge of the headlamp unit, so if your eyeline is at normal standing height (say, approx 1.0m - 1.5m or more above the height of the headlamps) there’s a chance it’ll appear to not be working as you may not be able to see it - either at all, or you may only see the lower edge of it - especially if you’re tall. If you squat down so your line of sight is level with the headlamp unit, then you should be able to see it’s working.

Hope that makes sense! 🙂
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Aha that makes sense based on all my low show camera angles showing it as lit. But just stood infront of it appears off.

Thanks!