Discover Navigation Pro - worth it?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Discover Navigation Pro - worth it?

Post by SRGTD »

LEEA123 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:29 am Hi all, i am waiting for my polo gti, and coming from a golf eight style, I can confirm the wireless charging is so bad I did not want it on the polo.
If you have a phone case its very hit and miss, may work for a minute or so, may then stop, and then come back on, any movement on the phone it just stops working or says it cannot charge the phone, There is nothing to hold the phone in place. I also had overheating issues with it, with an iPhone and google maps, and it got so hot it caused the phone to shut down after an hour or so.
Google maps is very hungry for power and generates a lot of heat, add that to wireless charging heat it was not a good combo.
So ended up using apple maps which works good for me, and i never use the wireless charging now, it just does not work good enough, really a bad design in a way, to get it even working sort of ok, i needed to remove the phone case and try to secure it in a very precise place.

So now I just get in, plug it in, and all good,
I’ve read on other VW forums of owners having similar experiences with wireless charging.

IMHO needing to plug the phone in to charge it isn’t a hardship; it takes just a few seconds to lug the cable in. Some owners complain of untidy cables - that can easily be resolved by using a short cable; I’ve got a 30cm VW branded lightning cable with an angled connector and it works well and no issues with a long trailing cable.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Re: Discover Navigation Pro - worth it?

Post by AndyGTi »

@ SRGTD

I agree totally, I thought a cable wasn't a hardship and already had a cable (cheap Amazon one - lined up) but then found out I got a VW branded one with right angle too. Result!

I thought spare wheel was better use of £105 approx as compared to wireless charging. I had also read the other forums with people saying phone got too hot etc.

As for Discover Nav Pro, it does seem like a lot of more for not a lot, i think for money, metallic paint or sunroof would make you happier