I discovered a new feature on my Polo GTI+

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

I discovered a new feature on my Polo GTI+

Post by SRGTD »

I was giving my Polo GTI+ a long overdue wash yesterday and discovered by accident that there’s an alternative way of temporarily disabling keyless entry.

While washing the driver’s door, I inadvertently touched the ‘dimple’ on the driver’s door handle twice in fairly quick succession and found by doing that, keyless entry is temporarily disabled in the same way that it is if the ‘official’ method (outlined in the manual) is used - i.e. pressing the lock button on the key fob once, then douching the Dimple on the door handle. I had to use the unlock button on the key fob before I could open the door.

Maybe some other forum members with keyless entry are already aware of this, but it was a new discovery for me.

Every day’s a school day, however long ago it is since you last went to school (and for me, it’s a long, long time ago!) 🙂.
Last edited by SRGTD on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: I discovered a new feature on my Polo GTI+

Post by lancslad1985 »

I found this but then half the time it didn’t seem to work on my gti plus or Tiguan. So I just took to putting my keys in the metal hazardous cabinet at work whilst cleaning :lol:
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD, I might be confusing myself here but I always thought the 'official' method of disabling keyless entry was:

Press Lock Icon on Key Fob > Press the 'Dimple' once on the handle > Keyless Entry is now disabled.

That's always worked for me. :lol:

I'm assuming your new found method was the following? I also found out about this when washing the car!

Close the door > press 'Dimple' once > Keyless entry is now disabled (no need to use fob).
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:43 pm SRGTD, I might be confusing myself here but I always thought the 'official' method of disabling keyless entry was:

Press Lock Icon on Key Fob > Press the 'Dimple' once on the handle > Keyless Entry is now disabled.

Yes, that’s the way I always disable it when parking up.

Just read my original post and I must have been having one of those brain lock moments as I listed the sequence of events to temporarily disable keyless in the wrong order. Correct sequence is as per your post above - i.e. press lock button on key fob once and then touch the Dimple sensor on the door handle 🤣. I’ve corrected the original post (highlighted in bold)
S_94 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:43 pm I'm assuming your new found method was the following? I also found out about this when washing the car!

Close the door > press 'Dimple' once > Keyless entry is now disabled (no need to use fob).
The new method I found was;
Press the Dimple once, then shortly after (within a few seconds), press the Dimple again. Keyless seems to be disabled as I wasn’t able to open the door until I pressed the ‘unlock’ button on the key fob.

To be fair, I didn’t check the other front door to see if I was able to open it, but a double touch on the Dimple seems to have the same effect as pressing the lock button on the key fob and then touching the Dimple on the door handle once.(DISCLAIMER; don’t blame me if it doesn’t work - always ensure all of your car doors are locked when you leave it!).
Last edited by SRGTD on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:18 pm
S_94 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:43 pm SRGTD, I might be confusing myself here but I always thought the 'official' method of disabling keyless entry was:

Yes, that’s the way I always disable it when parking up. Just read my original post and I must have been having one of those brain lock moments as I listed the sequence of key fob and touching the Dimple sensor in the wrong order!! 🤣. I’ve corrected the original post (highlighted in bold)
S_94 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:43 pm I'm assuming your new found method was the following? I also found out about this when washing the car!

The new method I found was;
Press the Dimple once, then shortly after (within a few seconds), press the Dimple again. Keyless seems to be disabled as I wasn’t able to open the door until I pressed the ‘unlock’ button on the key fob.

To be fair, I didn’t check the other front door to see if I was able to open it, but a double touch on the Dimple seems to have the same effect as pressing the lock button on the key fob and then touching the Dimple on the door handle once.
Sunday brain! :lol:

Thanks for posting about this as thinking about it I'm sure doing the following doesn't disable the keyless entry, merely just locks the door:

Close door > press Dimple once > locks all doors (doesn't disable keyless)... I think?

Your method of pressing the Dimple twice must disable the keyless entry which is something I didn't know about! :)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Yes, just pressing the Dimple once is the keyless way of locking the car - it doesn’t temporarily disable keyless functionality as it’s possible to unlock the car by holding the inside of the door handle.

I think we got there eventually. Apologies if I caused confusion 🙂.

As per my previous post - I’ve not checked all the doors after using the ‘double Dimple’ locking procedure, so if you plan on using this alternative method, please check all doors to make sure they are all locked before leaving your car.

I’ll still use the official method, as that’s what I’ve got used to doing.