Finding a suitable sub for under floor or wheel well

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
KabsDK
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Finding a suitable sub for under floor or wheel well

Post by KabsDK »

I just purchased my Polo GTI 2018, but since I come from a bigger car with a nicer sound system, I want to upgrade the sound system in the Polo.

I have hit a wall though. It seems like there is no good solution for this, even though the current style AW has been around since 2018.

What seems to be the limiting factor is the height of the wheel well, which is limited by the battery to 12-14 cm.

I am looking for:
- An active or passive solution
- Wheel well or general under-floor boot space solution

I have looked at several active or passive solutions but one thing they seem to have in common is:
- Too tall (e.g. JBL basspro hub, ESX DBX800Q)
- Not really built for the Polo (e.g. JL audio slimline subs)

Is there any “great” solution out there that just works and is fairly high quality?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Finding a suitable sub for under floor or wheel well

Post by OomStu_ZA »

KabsDK wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:35 pm I just purchased my Polo GTI 2018, but since I come from a bigger car with a nicer sound system, I want to upgrade the sound system in the Polo.

I have hit a wall though. It seems like there is no good solution for this, even though the current style AW has been around since 2018.

What seems to be the limiting factor is the height of the wheel well, which is limited by the battery to 12-14 cm.

I am looking for:
- An active or passive solution
- Wheel well or general under-floor boot space solution

I have looked at several active or passive solutions but one thing they seem to have in common is:
- Too tall (e.g. JBL basspro hub, ESX DBX800Q)
- Not really built for the Polo (e.g. JL audio slimline subs)

Is there any “great” solution out there that just works and is fairly high quality?
I had an active sub installed and fitted behind the left rear seat. It doesn't cause too much of an issue when packing up the vehicle but considering the sound, it is a comprimise I'm prepared to live with.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Did you consider the VW helix plug and play soundsystem?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

iichel wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:28 pm Did you consider the VW helix plug and play soundsystem?
I’m not sure the Helix sub would fit in the Polo GTI. My understanding is that the Helix sits in the spare wheel well, and you have to sacrifice your space saver spare wheel if you have one. With the AW Polo GTI, in the bottom of the spare wheel well is the car’s battery with the car’s tool kit in a polystyrene holder around the battery and for cars that have a space saver spare wheel, the space saver fits on top of the battery. With everything in place looks like this;
A6C6FD64-F80D-4085-A320-C9A5693873C8.jpeg
A6C6FD64-F80D-4085-A320-C9A5693873C8.jpeg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 346 times
And this is how much space there is in the spare wheel wheel with the space saver spare removed or in cars that don’t have a space saver spare wheel (this picture has the Beats sub in the space to the left of the spare wheel well);
DB1060FB-AC4F-4940-A6CE-A4B439D64764.jpeg
DB1060FB-AC4F-4940-A6CE-A4B439D64764.jpeg (80.72 KiB) Viewed 346 times