Mk6 face lift key cover

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Mk6 face lift key cover

Post by MikeDO »

Anyone recommend a key cover that will fit the mk6 face lift?

I've had a look on Ebay and AMAZON and most of them don't look like are for the correct key!

Thanks in advance.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: Mk6 face lift key cover

Post by Dark_cze »

// Sorry just noticed you asked for facelift key. Iam not sure if it is same key as pre facelift key. My bad.

There is 2 types of this key. Iam gonna call it golf version and Polo version where Gold have key blade rotated by 90 degrees. I had one rubber cover for Golf key and the cover will fit both but the Polo key need extra width for key blade to open which Golf covers tends to miss (the extra space that is needed is visible on the attached photo). Well I cut it of with knife but that left a bit of jagged edge so sharp scissors would probably be better. In the end I managed to find metal case That fits well enough but I can't find it again (again attached the photo of it, it is quite badly beaten up after 4 years). Beware if you find it it is quite heavy since it is really made of metal.
Attachments
Polo Key.jpg
Polo Key.jpg (271.52 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Golf key.png
Golf key.png (95.13 KiB) Viewed 716 times
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Post by KayakerPaul »

These should fit Mike.
We went for blue off ebay, due to the key fob matching our T6.1's . Had to slightly trim the rubber for the key to pop out mind.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220915-202530_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220915-202530_eBay.jpg (421.67 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Screenshot_20220915-202726_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20220915-202726_Amazon Shopping.jpg (617.52 KiB) Viewed 705 times
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've ordered up the silicon one.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

I was meaning to come on and ask about the keys as I thought they had changed.

I had a Golf at start of year and rembembered the key came out at a sideways angle. Thanks @ dark_cze for explaining the differences.

So I bought the VW "GTI" silicon case as well as a another non branded sleeve off Amazon. As described by @dark_cze, I also noticed that the sleeve had a section which stopped the key opening for operation. I used some sharp scissors and this has done the trick and have cut away the section and now can use the key

Andy
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

AndyGTi wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:41 pm I was meaning to come on and ask about the keys as I thought they had changed.

I had a Golf at start of year and rembembered the key came out at a sideways angle. Thanks @ dark_cze for explaining the differences.

So I bought the VW "GTI" silicon case as well as a another non branded sleeve off Amazon. As described by @dark_cze, I also noticed that the sleeve had a section which stopped the key opening for operation. I used some sharp scissors and this has done the trick and have cut away the section and now can use the key

Andy
Iam happy that it helped. :)
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

My silicon key cover turned up this morning.

Not that impressed.
It fits a bit floppy. Just the way that the pop out key works I suppose restricts how it can be made. I had sort of thought that the material that it was made of would be slightly more rigid. Though I suppose if it was, then you would not be able to press the buttons. Maybe I will just leave it "naked"?