2022 gti arriving soon i hope , extra security ?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

2022 gti arriving soon i hope , extra security ?

Post by LEEA123 »

Hi, just looking for advice. I know the car will have an alarm on but am looking for extra security, either an extra alarm system or maybe a ghost 2. Has anyone had any experience or extra security added? Would not touch a pandora system, had it on fiesta st, kept going off. Maybe was just a bad install as they are highly rated systems
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Re: 2022 gti arriving soon i hope , extra security ?

Post by Boxerboy »

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

Professional thieves will take any car, any time, anywhere.

Just live with the basic car. Lock it at night and tuck your (keyless) key in a tin beside your bed.

Almost 50 years ago I wasted time and effort with old style Krooklocks between wheel and pedals, big yellow steel discs around the steering wheel. Successful but silly. Or should that be silly, but successful?

After market alarm systems seem to lead to more hassles and sleepless nights than ever.

Save your money for better things.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I can’t remember hearing of any cases on the forum of a current (AW / BZ) model GTI being stolen - seems to be much more of a problem with the previous generation Ford Fiesta ST. However, if you do require extra peace of mind then maybe consider the following;
  • If you have a garage that’s just used as a dumping ground, clear it out and use it for garaging your car. If an opportunist thief can’t see your car, it removes the temptation to try and steal it.
  • Consider upgrading your home security to make it more difficult for intruders to gain entry to your home and steal your car keys.
  • If your car has keyless entry (optional now - was standard on the pre facelift GTI+) then it’s possible to temporarily deactivate it, preventing would-be opportunist thieves from intercepting the key fob signal with signal amplification equipment and gaining unlawful access to your car. Temporarily disabling keyless needs to be done each time you lock the car, which isn’t a great hardship as the process to do this is simple and it soon becomes second nature. Also with keyless, keep your keys in a signal blocking device (e.g. metal tin, Faraday pouch) to block the key fob signal being transmitted.
  • Get GAP insurance so if your car is stolen and not recovered or written off, you’re not left out of pocket financially. Don’t buy VW branded GAP insurance though - it’s horrendously expensive compared to buying direct from a GAP insurance provider.
  • If you have more than one vehicle in your household and have to park outside, then block your GTI in by parking another vehicle up close behind it.
  • Consider fitting a visible physical security device such as a Disklok or Stoplock Pro Elite; it can be a bit of a faff having to fit and remove such a device, and if left lying loose in the passenger compartment while you’re driving they can become a dangerous projectile in the event of an accident. Physical security devices they may act as a deterrent to an opportunist thief, but as said by @Boxerboy, won’t stop a determined thief.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

Thank you for the advice all, am thinking it over, but at moment are just thinking of leaving it as it is as standard , if anything at all i may just look into a ghost 2 in the future if anything, Thank you
regards
lee
AnnieGTI
New
Drives: GTI 2022

Post by AnnieGTI »

I just took out GAP insurance on my new gti with motoreasy for £140 for 3 years return to invoice. I've been with them a while for other cars (15 cars in the past 6 years as I get bored, but hoping to keep this one a while) I asked Motoreasy if they could match the best quote I found on a compare website and they did, which was nice.
I hadn't taken Gap in over 30 years of driving until I bought an M140i then an S4 and thought that now I've started buying the cover, I may as well get it for the polo gti. I've never claimed on my insurance (touches wood) so hopefully will never need it. I do have a garage though so when I'm not using it, it's in my garage :)
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I’m not sure if faraday pouches work, I had two MK 7 fiestas stolen from outside my home - both were keyless, although only the second one I put my key in a highly rated Amazon faraday pouch and it still got stolen. If they want your car they will take out any means possible. My second one had a cheap metal steering lock, and the theives took an angle grinder and still removed it (we had CCTV which covered both thefts) soo don’t worry about the extra security. They latest polos I think have a different keyless system where the key won’t emit any signal if it is not moving (on bedside cabinet) so shouldn’t be a problem these days. The MK7 Fiesta keys are always emitting signal regardless if key is stationary (bed side cabinet) or in your hand walking to the car.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:23 am I’m not sure if faraday pouches work, I had two MK 7 fiestas stolen from outside my home - both were keyless, although only the second one I put my key in a highly rated Amazon faraday pouch and it still got stolen. If they want your car they will take out any means possible. My second one had a cheap metal steering lock, and the theives took an angle grinder and still removed it (we had CCTV which covered both thefts) soo don’t worry about the extra security. They latest polos I think have a different keyless system where the key won’t emit any signal if it is not moving (on bedside cabinet) so shouldn’t be a problem these days. The MK7 Fiesta keys are always emitting signal regardless if key is stationary (bed side cabinet) or in your hand walking to the car.

IMHO keyless entry is one of the most pointless things on a modern day car - probably dreamt up by a car manufacturers marketing department and positioned with would-be buyers as one of those ‘must have’ features they couldn’t live without. My car has it (it was part of the car’s standard spec) - if it hadn’t been a standard feature there’s no way I’d have paid extra to have it and I always deactivate it anyway.

The metal lining in Faraday pouches does wear out over time through regular opening and closing of the pouch to get the keys in and out. I dare say the quality of the pouches is also variable depending on where they’re bought and the price paid. Therefore it’s important to test the pouches periodically to ensure the lining’s not damaged and the key fob’s signal to the car is still being blocked effectively; stand next to the locked car with the key(s) in the pouch and if it’s possible to open the door, then it’s time to get a new pouch or use a different, more durable receptacle to keep the keys in. A cheap alternative is a metal tin with a metal lid.

Keyless theft has been discussed many times in relation to the Golf R over on vwroc.com forum and with the exception of a couple of forum members with keyless cars, any that have been stolen were non keyless models where the owners homes were broken into to get the keys. The prospect of being woken up during the hours of darkness by a determined car thief standing by your bed and demanding your car keys is pretty scary - not to mention the risk of injury to you and your loved ones. Therefore IMHO, it’s important to ensure home security is up to scratch to minimise the risk of unlawful entry. A car can be replaced by a family member can’t 🤔.

Stay safe everyone………
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

My vehicle also has a keyless system but what slays me is that the keyfob still has an actual key. The only benifit I can think of is if, lets say, you need access to a locked car and the battery in the keyfob is flat (depleted). It's not like there is an actual ignition switch on the steering column to start the car if the start button fails.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:24 am My vehicle also has a keyless system but what slays me is that the keyfob still has an actual key. The only benifit I can think of is if, lets say, you need access to a locked car and the battery in the keyfob is flat (depleted). It's not like there is an actual ignition switch on the steering column to start the car if the start button fails.
Yes, that’s what the key blade is for - to gain access to the car via the hidden keyhole in the driver’s door handle if the fob battery dies unexpectedly without warning. Based on discussions on other VW forums, dying key fob batteries happen more often than you might expect - often when the battery has been in use for around 12 months. Even with a dead key fob battery, it should be possible to start the car by holding the key fob next to the key symbol on the steering column cowling.

I keep a couple of spare CR2032 button batteries in my car and another in my wallet so if the one in the key fob does die, then hopefully I’m prepared - that’s assuming the new batteries will work! There are lots of fake batteries on sale but I did buy a well known brand from a reputable store and they have an expiry date that’s way into the future, so fingers crossed they’re OK.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Probably it is more a case of "location", when my SIL and family moved down to outside Canterbury many years ago, she set her mind on buying a VW Golf GTI - her chosen VW dealership advised against that as she would probably lose it, so she bought probably a late VW Polo 6N 1.6, that was a pity as that car put her off buying VWs for life, she currently runs a Mini Cooper and is either having an easy time with it, or not telling me about how much money it costs to keep it going!

I certainly made time to get along to my local Halfords to buy one of these annoying but effective Diskloc before visiting them.

Cordless angle grinders do seem to have made nicking cars a bit easier, which is annoying!