Oil separator

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Oil separator

Post by littlepolo »

When I rebuilt my 1.4 BBY over the winter of 2018/2019 I fitted a new top end that had about 23K miles on it. At the same time I swapped over the oil pump and the oil separator. The separator looked OK at the time and did not need a clean.

32,000 miles later, the engine is using a using approx. 300ml over 1560kl, so well within spec. That was mainly motorway runs where the oil gets hot over an extended period. The engine itself seems to be in pretty good condition with 122,000 miles on the clock now. Is it likely that I might need to swap out the oil separator at some point or would it be worthwhile doing it to avert future problems?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Oil separator

Post by iichel »

Are you sure the oil use originates from the oil separator?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I think the current oil use, which is well within spec as I mentioned is just blow by and not related to the oil separator. My question is more about the likelihood of a problem with the separator in future and the merit of replacing it with a new one. Although the one I fitted had only 23K, IIRC it was from a 2004 so its 18 years old. I tend to put all jobs off until fine weather and definitely prefer to avoid unplanned work.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I would personally not replace a part unless I'm certain it is subject to wear or actually broken.
But for your own peace of mind, I guess it wouldn't hurt. Doesn't look like an expensive part or a lot of work to do so.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

tks