Help please - undertray removal nightmare trying to service (had to destroy 2 fixings to remove)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mowen
New
Drives: Polo 1.0L TSI Match (2020)

Help please - undertray removal nightmare trying to service (had to destroy 2 fixings to remove)

Post by mowen »

Hi all,

This is my first post on here following an attempt to service my 2020 Polo Match (1.0L Match) yesterday - it might sound like an overreaction, but the nightmare all arises from 2 fixings/clips on the undertray. The actual engine service itself was easy, it was gaining access to the engine that proved the hard part.

Now I'm no newbie to servicing my own cars and working on cars, and in the last 15 years of servicing cars (including cambelt changes, clutch changes etc) I've never encountered such a difficult car to work on...and all I was doing was a simple oil change and air filter change. It was not a pleasure to work on, it feels like VW have made it as difficult as possible to do everything.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could help me identify what kind of fixing was giving me so much grief.

I started by jacking the car up and placing it on axle stands before proceeding to remove the undertray (so that I could gain access to the sump plug and the oil filter). I was surprised to find there were different types of fixings for the undertray in the first place - it's only a plastic cover, so why complicate things with 3 different types of fixings. Anyway, I removed the 9 T25 Torx screws, and then the 3 bigger T45 Torx screws. I tried to remove the undertray and then realised it was still attached right at the back, by 2 other fixings. These 2 fixings were plastic, rather than metal like the Torx screws I'd already removed at this point.

These 2 fixings I have never encountered before, and I could see no means of removing them at all. At first they looked a little like a Allen key fitment, but the minute I tried to use one of those to undo them, they just rounded off as the plastic was incredibly soft. I'm not even convinced they were Allen key fitments after all. Bottom line, I could figure out how to remove them, but I needed the undertray off to access the underside of the car, so I used pliers and just pulled them to pieces (i originally tried using the pliers to unscrew whatever these things were, but they kept spinning and I got nowhere). After I had destroyed they, a male thread was left poking through (from the car side), which is odd, as this means the threads are the other way around to the Torx fixings.

I've spent hours in the workshop manuals, on YouTube, and on google trying to find out what this clip is. I'm wondering if I can just pull out the remains of the clip and replace it with a nice simple self-tapper to make future undertray removal so much easier.

I'm hoping that this post might catch someone's attention who just knows immediately what I'm talking about when they see the photos - any help would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I've attached some pictures below:

First picture
  • The red on the outside (x9) are all T25 Torx screws
  • The red on the inside (x3) are the T45 Torx screws
  • The green are these 2 fixing that caused me so much grief
Second picture
This is what the fixing looked like before I massacred it with pliers

Third picture
This is what I had to pull off the clips to get the undertray off - each one seem to have 2 layers like this (the fourth photo shows what was left on the car)

Fourth picture
This is after I massacred the fixing, you can see the thread poking through (the bit of plastic attached to the thread is the remains of what I removed in the third picture)

IMG-20221022-WA0027.jpg
IMG-20221022-WA0027.jpg (324.22 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
20221022_170701.jpg
20221022_170701.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2408 times
IMG-20221022-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20221022-WA0021.jpg (232.31 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
20221022_180304.jpg
20221022_180304.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 2408 times
Ping
New
Drives: Polo AW -2018

Re: Help please - undertray removal nightmare trying to service (had to destroy 2 fixings to remove)

Post by Ping »

It looks like standard interior car clips you find everywhere on car and bike. Where you either push or screw the plug in so the back expand.

like theese
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Help please - undertray removal nightmare trying to service (had to destroy 2 fixings to remove)

Post by CarbonChaos »

You’re best way forward in my opinion would be to use the 10mm type nuts commonly used on VAG cars to fix the underbody protection panels
These use a course threaded stud which from your picture looks like you already have
Attachments
3A88C271-7C1E-453D-9A02-FADC3B7AD9B0.jpeg
3A88C271-7C1E-453D-9A02-FADC3B7AD9B0.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2373 times
65F3EFC1-D824-41DF-99B7-77DBC03BCC2A.jpeg
65F3EFC1-D824-41DF-99B7-77DBC03BCC2A.jpeg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 2373 times
7329932B-5B76-4DE3-84D8-FFAC6FD01A46.jpeg
7329932B-5B76-4DE3-84D8-FFAC6FD01A46.jpeg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2373 times
mowen
New

Post by mowen »

Ping wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:40 am It looks like standard interior car clips you find everywhere on car and bike. Where you either push or screw the plug in so the back expand.
Thanks for the reply, but it's definitely not these - I'm very familiar with these types of panel clips (screw and push type) and it wasn't these.
mowen
New

Post by mowen »

CarbonChaos wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:56 pm You’re best way forward in my opinion would be to use the 10mm type nuts commonly used on VAG cars to fix the underbody protection panels
These use a course threaded stud which from your picture looks like you already have
Oh thank you very much, that's a great solution - I'll order some now and see how I get on.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

Do you think you could drop the front of the under tray enough to get access to the oil filter and sump bolt. Or does the whole tray got come off?
mowen
New

Post by mowen »

Steve_2019 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:38 pm Do you think you could drop the front of the under tray enough to get access to the oil filter and sump bolt. Or does the whole tray got come off?
I had that same thought, but sadly it can't be done.

Interestingly, I found a video of an oil filter change on my car on YouTube, and those 2 back fasteners don't seemed to get mentioned once (and they don't appear to be present) - either the guy filming was so fed up with them that he took them off before filming and kept quiet about them, or, this person's car has been driving around without them on the entire time....who knows.

See the video below (undertray bit starts at 24 seconds in)...

Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

mowen wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:20 pm
Steve_2019 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:38 pm Do you think you could drop the front of the under tray enough to get access to the oil filter and sump bolt. Or does the whole tray got come off?
I had that same thought, but sadly it can't be done.

Interestingly, I found a video of an oil filter change on my car on YouTube, and those 2 back fasteners don't seemed to get mentioned once (and they don't appear to be present) - either the guy filming was so fed up with them that he took them off before filming and kept quiet about them, or, this person's car has been driving around without them on the entire time....who knows.

See the video below (undertray bit starts at 24 seconds in)...

Thanks for sharing that video. Did you find the undertray very heavy. Bearing in mind I be on my back in the road under the car doing the the work :D.

Might have a go next year when it warmer removing the undertray and do a oil change.

Let us know how you got around those two plastic fixings on the back of the undertray. If the worse came to the worse could you not bother with them back fixing? would the undertray stay on and be safe I wonder?
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

I wonder this is the fixings? it for the Polo shape before ours but they do like similar.

https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/wide-col ... wht000713/
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

The original allen head clip's plastic is very soft and breaks easy, I replace it with these harder plastic clips.
B.jpeg
B.jpeg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
A.jpeg
A.jpeg (37.99 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
timcrowle
New
Drives: 2018 TSI

Post by timcrowle »

Hi
Very interested in your post re undertray. Especially as mine has been serviced by VW while under warranty but is now outside of the warranty period i decided to do it myself.
I found no plastic clips there at all. Just left loose. I assumed that was ok as the other screws seem to hold it securley.
Did you manger to find the correct fixings (i think i should get some).
Also, how did you get yours on axel stands? i jacked the back untill it was high enough to get a stand under the front jack point. Not the best solution. Any help / advice much appricated.
Tim