VW to get rid of capacitive steering wheel touch pads in the Golf

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

VW to get rid of capacitive steering wheel touch pads in the Golf

Post by SRGTD »

As per title - link to article below;

https://www.thedrive.com/news/vw-brings ... s-complain

So if the touch pad steering wheel is being dropped from the Golf, the facelift Polo GTI may also get a revised steering wheel (same one as in the R-Line perhaps?) with physical buttons.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: VW to get rid of capacitive steering wheel touch pads in the Golf

Post by S_94 »

Always thought the touch controls seemed like a silly idea.

Not surprised they're dropping them.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Glad to hear this and hope it extends to the aircon and infotainment too, but sadly dont think we will see another generation of ICE Polo's. Here in South Africa the current Polo will later become the Polo Vivo no doubt, basically a "cheaper version with less options" Polo.

Current Polo Vivo range is based on the older 6C generation:
https://www.vw.co.za/en/models/polo-vivo.html
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:31 am Always thought the touch controls seemed like a silly idea.

Not surprised they're dropping them.
OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:02 pm Glad to hear this and hope it extends to the aircon and infotainment too.
Agree. IMHO changing buttons for touch pads was an unnecessary change just for the sake of change. Maybe touchpads are cheaper, in which case the appeal of the likely cost savings would no doubt have influenced VW’s decision. I’m actually quite surprised VW listened to - and will be acting upon - customer feedback.

As the saying goes; ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I always thought the climate one was ok once I got used to it. It’s the same one as my Tiguan and I can do it without looking. Bar them being overly sensitive I’ve no qualms with my touchpad on my steering wheel either, I just hope they don’t put the thinner wheel on that’s on my wife’s r line as the gti wheel is nice and chunky.
Ping
New
Drives: Polo AW -2018

Post by Ping »

Finally
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Good News I say.

I am getting on reasonably well with steering wheel controls, but buttons would be so much easier to deal with (and accurate).

On the HVAC controls, still working on that and as @SRGTD has said very early on after facelift appeared, the controls are too low down to be fiddling around.

Case (or two) in point...was driving back with a passenger in the rain and the windscreen is steaming up, wacked up blower and heater made little difference but finally lessened so I eased off blower then steamed up again getting a real pain, then my passenger said , oh it sonly going to feet....Well who changed that!! I ALWAYS have it on windscreen. Clearly I touched that part at some point and took blower off windscreen.

Then another occasion, driving off to Wales for work, I think its quiet in here, glance down and all lights are off on heating controls. Oh god is this faulty...no clearly I knocked it off as I reached into the tray in centre consol. GRRR!!! Never had these problems in my MK7 Golf.

So at least I know what to double check now but you shouldn't have to. Roll on the return of buttons
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

AndyGTi wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:08 pm Good News I say.

I am getting on reasonably well with steering wheel controls, but buttons would be so much easier to deal with (and accurate).

On the HVAC controls, still working on that and as @SRGTD has said very early on after facelift appeared, the controls are too low down to be fiddling around.

Case (or two) in point...was driving back with a passenger in the rain and the windscreen is steaming up, wacked up blower and heater made little difference but finally lessened so I eased off blower then steamed up again getting a real pain, then my passenger said , oh it sonly going to feet....Well who changed that!! I ALWAYS have it on windscreen. Clearly I touched that part at some point and took blower off windscreen.

Then another occasion, driving off to Wales for work, I think its quiet in here, glance down and all lights are off on heating controls. Oh god is this faulty...no clearly I knocked it off as I reached into the tray in centre consol. GRRR!!! Never had these problems in my MK7 Golf.

So at least I know what to double check now but you shouldn't have to. Roll on the return of buttons
I do remember thinking and saying when the initial official pictures of the facelift Polo were released that the HVAC controls were rather too down (IMHO) to be controlled by a touch panel, and that some drivers may find it necessary to look down at the panel when making adjustments - so diverting their line of sight away from the road ahead. It might be that the HVAC touch panel becomes easier to use over time and with familiarity, so the need to look at it when making adjustments might not be necessary after a few weeks.

I’m pleased my pre-facelift GTI+ has three old style rotary knobs for HVAC - to some they might not look as aesthetically pleasing as a sleek touch panel. However, they’re sturdy and robust and easy to use through touch alone, and I can make adjustments solely by touch and keep focused on the important things like the road and traffic conditions 🙂.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

@SRGTD Well it happened again...windscreen steaming up and full fan not making a difference...the windscreen setting had changed again. I don't remember knocking it this time. So ive had to add a glance at the Blower direction when I have a quick look at what is happening.

However, I have had one success, I;ve overcome the VW Nanny systems...Yes!!!!!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

AndyGTi wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:44 pm @SRGTD Well it happened again...windscreen steaming up and full fan not making a difference...the windscreen setting had changed again. I don't remember knocking it this time. So ive had to add a glance at the Blower direction when I have a quick look at what is happening.

However, I have had one success, I;ve overcome the VW Nanny systems...Yes!!!!!
That’s frustrating Andy about the windscreen settings having a mind of their own. As for the nannying systems; fortunately (IMHO) my 2020 Polo GTI+ pre-dates the introduction of such things as Lane Assist.

With all the computer based tech in modern cars, it’s inevitable there’ll be the occasional software-related issues, but some of the current crop of VW’s models do seem to have more than their fair share of software gremlins and glitches. However, based on discussions on the forum, fortunately the Polo seems to be largely unaffected by these issues. The same can’t be said for the mk8 Golf and VW’s ID range of electric vehicles though that have needed a number of software updates and fixes - not all of which have been entirely successful, and some of the fixes seem to have ‘unfixed’ previous fixes. There’s a very long discussion thread (currently 180 pages long!😲) on the mk8 Golf R forum relating to various software issues.

The software used in current generation of VW’s was developed by Cariad which is a wholly owned subsidiary of VW, and I understand it was the first in-house developed software for VW’s vehicles. The rationale for VW bringing software development in-house was to remove dependency on third party suppliers and to reduce cost. However, this strategy hasn’t been without its problems; the initial launch of the mk8 Golf was delayed because of ‘software issues’. Additionally, delays at Cariad caused the postponement of the launch of some premium models from Porsche, Bentley and Audi, and those delays were seemingly behind the reason for VW’s CEO Herbert Diess losing his job.

Hopefully, VW have learned some valuable lessons and problem free software will become the norm in future 🤔.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Don’t get me wrong, clearly it is me knocking /touching the touch panel for the direction of blower. It’s just annoying that it can be that easy.

The fact Polo based on older software/infotainment was an attraction. Only had one software related incident and that passed quite quickly. So I’m enjoying myself overall with the Polo.

I should be grateful as I too have read some of the trouble that Mk8 Golf owners have had. Will be interesting to see what the Mk8.5 changes (or doesn’t). Think it’s still a while off before I buy another Golf.

Yes, the software division is not making friends in the rest of the group. From what I’ve read and what’s inferred in the articles, I think Porsche are livid over the software delays, the Macao EV has been pushed back 18-24months due to the delays. As I understand it they can develop their own software for later models, so Porsche are going to go their own way after the current mess.

Understand the ID 3 will be getting an early facelift next year and fixing software is near top of list. Yes I also read, the software division problems where a lot to do with why Herbert Diess losing his job.