Automatic braking when reversing

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AnnieGTI
New
Drives: GTI 2022

Automatic braking when reversing

Post by AnnieGTI »

Hi everyone,
I'm up to 1k miles now and enjoying the car every time I drive it.

I have quite a tight longish drive between mine and next doors house to reverse in and out of. I'm finding it very easy with the polo, as I've usually had wider cars.
The problem is, if I don't apply the brakes while I'm reversing, the car slams the brakes on itself. Is there anywhere I can disable this?

Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Re: Automatic braking when reversing

Post by Harrihealey02 »

What year of the model is this? As far as I know the latest face lift does not have rear cross traffic alert. The previous model 2018-2022 had it as an option. Mine has it but it only ever occurs when it thinks you’re going to crash into something or something will crash into you. If there’s wind and some bushes, as it detects the bush swaying towards your car it thinks an imminent collision will occur.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

It’s because the sensors are very sensitive and if you’re going too fast (in its opinion) it thinks you’re going to hit something. I reverse into my narrow drive and just do it very slowly otherwise I have the same issue.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve never had my car apply the brakes when I’m reversing up my driveway (it has a slight incline up to the road). I just put it into reverse and let it creep under its own steam, so the car’s travelling very slow. I do get the occasional bleeping from the parking sensors when they sense nearby shrubbery, but that’s all.

Slow reverse manoeuvres seem to be the answer 🙂.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

ha ha

Yes the Brakes do apply...I know this as I was reversing into a hedge on a strange road and the brakes jammed themselves. I blame the idiot Amazon driver that blocked the turning circle.
AnnieGTI
New
Drives: GTI 2022

Post by AnnieGTI »

AndyGTi wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:56 pm ha ha

Yes the Brakes do apply...I know this as I was reversing into a hedge on a strange road and the brakes jammed themselves. I blame the idiot Amazon driver that blocked the turning circle.
It's a bit annoying isn't it and over sensitive. I have to keep braking now when reversing out of my drive between the walls to stop it slamming on :roll:
I am enjoying the car more and more though. I might actually keep this one. I've only been keeping cars for a few months in the past few years.