brake fluid change after two years???

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

brake fluid change after two years???

Post by grazuncle2 »

just had my last obligatory service for warranty.

it is three and half year old.. i have had it 18 months.. they recommend brake fluid change after two years..

this is necessary?

didn't change it on 15yr old Polo...
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: brake fluid change after two years???

Post by SRGTD »

I’d say yes, it is necessary. VW’s recommended brake fluid change intervals are first change at three years and then every two years thereafter. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so it absorbs moisture over time, reducing braking efficiency; worst case scenario brake fluid with a high moisture content could cause the brakes to fail.

For the safety’s sake I’d get the fluid changed.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

I never had it offered with the last Polo at VW garages all the time i had it.

Brake fluid had always been hygroscopic.. since I worked in a garage 40 yrs ago.. LOL
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

grazuncle2 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:17 am just had my last obligatory service for warranty.
A common misconception there you are not obliged to service a new vehicle

By law, automakers and dealerships cannot make you perform regular maintenance at a dealership for a new car warranty to remain valid.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

Very interesting

I had one lady at reception once who told me.. 'Of course you need the pollen filter changed'

I asked how much it was and gulped. I said no thanks. (Meaning I'll get one myself and fit it.). she scolded me and said 'why wouldn't you have it fitted?'

I didn't reply
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

grazuncle2 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:17 am just had my last obligatory service for warranty.

it is three and half year old.. i have had it 18 months.. they recommend brake fluid change after two years..

this is necessary?

didn't change it on 15yr old Polo...
I had mine done at the 3 year point then its every two years after.

It does make a difference I find mine is bit more sharper in braking since I had the brake fluid change so I would recommend getting it done.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

had second year service done on golf eight, part of service plan, they said i should have brake fluid changed , i said no as part exchanging hopefully this month for the polo , even if i was not i would not have it done after two years,
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

grazuncle2 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:18 pm Very interesting

I had one lady at reception once who told me.. 'Of course you need the pollen filter changed'

I asked how much it was and gulped. I said no thanks. (Meaning I'll get one myself and fit it.). she scolded me and said 'why wouldn't you have it fitted?'

I didn't reply
I bought one and fitted it in less than 2 minutes.

Yes, I timed myself for fun.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

That's made me even more determined..

:D :D
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

As said brake fluid does absorb water. That said it can be measured how much resistance it have. I personally measured it about 6 months ago. It was ok, not like new but still ok, so I decided to change it in spring 2023.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

it would be nice to see some science in all of this..

brakes 'feel better' is very subjective and resistance can be measured for sure but what do the readings tell you as to serviceability. I don't know.

I have worked in the service industry (Garages too with anything up to Jaguar/Daimler) and I can say the owner can imply anything from figures given to the customers. like; "brake shoes are 50% worn"! which also means they have a good few miles left in them. You could state either to the customer and they will react differently to it.

I'm not saying 'not changing' the fluid is a good idea either.

Someone knows.. LOL
LEEA123
Getting There!

Post by LEEA123 »

What I would like to know is, why is it not part of the service every two years if it is required? Why would it be an extra charge on top of the service plan?
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

That says a lot!

Why not build it into the price?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

LEEA123 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:59 pm What I would like to know is, why is it not part of the service every two years if it is required? Why would it be an extra charge on top of the service plan?
Brake fluid change was part of the service plan when I bought my mk6 Golf GTD back in 2011. At that time VW service plans were three years and covered 2 minor services (the first and third) and 1 major service (the second). As the first brake fluid change is at three years, it formed part of the third service under the plan.

I dare say VW decided it was better for them from a revenue and profit perspective to reduce the content of their service plan product and make it a two year rather than three year service plan and to treat brake fluid changes as a separate chargeable item. Also by doing this, they would probably say that as the first scheduled brake fluid change is at three years, it couldn’t be included in the (first) two year plan. No reason though why it couldn’t be included in a second service plan covering the third and forth services, and any subsequent service plans purchased by owners thereafter.
LEEA123
Getting There!

Post by LEEA123 »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:26 pm
LEEA123 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:59 pm What I would like to know is, why is it not part of the service every two years if it is required? Why would it be an extra charge on top of the service plan?
Brake fluid change was part of the service plan when I bought my mk6 Golf GTD back in 2011. At that time VW service plans were three years and covered 2 minor services (the first and third) and 1 major service (the second). As the first brake fluid change is at three years, it formed part of the third service under the plan.

I dare say VW decided it was better for them from a revenue and profit perspective to reduce the content of their service plan product and make it a two year rather than three year service plan and to treat brake fluid changes as a separate chargeable item. Also by doing this, they would probably say that as the first scheduled brake fluid change is at three years, it couldn’t be included in the (first) two year plan. No reason though why it couldn’t be included in a second service plan covering the third and forth services, and any subsequent service plans purchased by owners thereafter.
my car is only two years old, so if the fluid is three years now then why try to sell me it on my second-year service, I just don't get that, looks like maybe up selling to me.