brake fluid change after two years???

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: brake fluid change after two years???

Post by lancslad1985 »

Some garages do upsell. Lookers Preston once tried to sell my wife a coolant flush on a one year old car when it was in on the service plan. Thankfully she had the sense to ring me and I told them where to stick it. Considering they knew I worked for a car care company that produces coolant and flushes, I’m surprised they were that stupid.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

LEEA123 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:10 pm my car is only two years old, so if the fluid is three years now then why try to sell me it on my second-year service, I just don't get that, looks like maybe up selling to me.
I think I would challenge the dealer and ask them why they’re trying to get you to pay for the first brake fluid change at two years when it’s not due until year three. It would be interesting to hear how they respond 🤔.

VW appear to have conveniently removed the fluid change intervals from their website, but it’s still on some dealer-specific websites. This is from Sinclair VW website;
8FE3EF75-D7F4-4BF4-8895-979723F4A37E.jpeg
8FE3EF75-D7F4-4BF4-8895-979723F4A37E.jpeg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 549 times
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I thought that since maybe 2019 or 2020, for all new cars reg'd from that point onwards, the given recommendation for all VW Group marques was now, change brake fluid every 2 years even from new.

I've been doing that for many many years, okay I could buy a cheapish brake fluid tester that might or might not work accurately for 2,4 6 or 8 years and lull myself into thinking that I had got this issue under my control - but why, replacing the brake fluid every 2 years might even prompt people to get their car brakes serviced every 2 years as well.

I don't really enjoy doing that job, but I still do it and service the brakes at the same time, I've just done this to 3 cars this year, and disposed of the waste brake fluid correctly.

Remember it should be DOT+/ESP/Pro and not just basic DOT4 - check the VW Group specs on the tins of genuine VW Group brake fluid if you don't believe me.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

grazuncle2 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:18 pm Very interesting

I had one lady at reception once who told me.. 'Of course you need the pollen filter changed'

I asked how much it was and gulped. I said no thanks. (Meaning I'll get one myself and fit it.). she scolded me and said 'why wouldn't you have it fitted?'

I didn't reply
I prefer the Frecious Plus version of cabin filters,as far as I know VW Group have not moved onto using that version yet, just BASIC or CARBON IMPREGNATED options, from experience, if buying a VW service package, and your car gets the carbon impregnated fitted at the factory, it will only get the basic cabin filter fitted at service time - every penny counts!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:23 pm I thought that since maybe 2019 or 2020, for all new cars reg'd from that point onwards, the given recommendation for all VW Group marques was now, change brake fluid every 2 years even from new.
That’s interesting.

My car was registered in 2020 so was two years old when it had its second service a couple of months ago. The VW dealer I use doesn’t miss an opportunity to upsell, but they made no mention of the first brake fluid change being due when I booked it in.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

(Deleted this message because I found some better information) see below
Last edited by Harrihealey02 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Fuchs oil website it gives a better reason why the 2 year brake fluid change may be required - there are two types of fluid.

HYGROSCOPIC: Glycol Ether (DOT 3, 4, and 5.1) brake fluids are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb moisture from the atmosphere at normal humidity levels.

HYDROPHOBIC: Non-hygroscopic liquids such as Silicone / DOT 5 based formulations and mineral oils, are hydrophobic, so they can maintain an acceptable boiling point throughout the useful life of the liquid.

Hygroscopic brake fluids are the most used in vehicles. For this reason, the drain interval for brake fluids must be respected and should be of approximately two years. This range is chosen considering that the corrosion inhibitors are consumed during the operation of the fluid and that the water that absorbs the liquid lowers the ERBP boiling point.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

Thanks for that.

I'm wondering how much moisture can get inside the system though unless you left the cap off. Some air is induced whilst the pads wear, unless topped up (you have to remember to take some out when putting new pads back in as the fluid is pushed back into the reservoir) so the system can't be sealed, but is there a one way valve in the reservoir cap?

I doubt you could get VW approved hydrophobic brake fluid at their garages.. LOL