Replacement head unit - CarPlay

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wanleg
New
Drives: Polo 6C

Replacement head unit - CarPlay

Post by wanleg »

Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement head unit that supports Carplay for my 2015 1.2TSI SE Polo (6C?).

Standard double din ones don't look like they'll fit properly but does anyone have any experience otherwise?

I've been looking at a unit on eBay which the seller says fits my car but can anyone confirm as the seller is a company based in China with a stock holding in the UK?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203182795555 ... BM-P_KoYph

Cheers
George
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Replacement head unit - CarPlay

Post by Dink »

i'd spend the extra and get this https://northeastvagadaptions.co.uk/col ... pp-connect

fully OEM so you don't lose any functions and not having to move the wiring about (headunit is in the glovebox and it's just a screen in the dash)

you could also find a second hand unit that supports it (model numbers are on the web page above) and send it off to be activated but the prices have shot up since it have been hacked
wanleg
New

Post by wanleg »

Thank you for the information, very useful.

£400 is above my price range so maybe I could look for a cheaper 2nd hand unit. I see the company you linked are based in Durham, which is where I work, so for £100 activation fee I may be able to find a used unit that fits my budget, I can’t spend more than about £280 in total.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

wanleg wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:19 pm Thank you for the information, very useful.

£400 is above my price range so maybe I could look for a cheaper 2nd hand unit. I see the company you linked are based in Durham, which is where I work, so for £100 activation fee I may be able to find a used unit that fits my budget, I can’t spend more than about £280 in total.
Problem is that they used to be dirt cheap (i paid £40 for a compatible unit) but they have got to silly money now.

You may find a second hand unit within budget but not likely unfortunately unless you go scouring a load of scrap yards.
wanleg
New

Post by wanleg »

Many thanks for the info.
Icarus
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Icarus »

Hi All,

New member and first time poster.

I recently bought a 2016 Polo GTI and later found out that I had one of the non upgradeable 820A headunits.
I was quoted the £400 as mentioned but I just could not justify the cost and left it at that.
A couple of days a go I then came across this guy:

Instagram @vagautosretrofit

Long story short I now have the App Connect, (Carplay & Android Auto) Performance Monitor & Voice activation all at a very reasonable cost of £250.

The unit is ex Skoda so does not have the cd facility but that does not make any difference to me. All the software loaded is VW and is coded specifically for your car.

The guy is very knowledgeable, honest and his customer service is second to none.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards