Polo Blue GT (6C) washer level sensor

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Polo Blue GT (6C) washer level sensor

Post by Norbreck21a »

HI all. We've been having a constant issue on the wife's 2016 Blue GT (6C) with the low washer sensor going off even when the washer bottle is full. Sometimes it sorts itself out after a few seconds, other times it stays on permanently. I purchased what I thought was the correct level sensor some time ago, however when I took the right-hand front wheel and wheel arch liner off to access the bottle, it looked like the old sensor was glued or welded to the bottle and as such i ended up putting everything back.

Does anyone know if the level sensor is replaceable or is it all built into the washer bottle ? If it makes any difference, the wife's car has the Xenon HID headlights and headlight washers in the bumper.

Thanks
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Polo Blue GT (6C) washer level sensor

Post by iichel »

yep it is a replaceable part
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Thanks llchel, not wishing to question your vast experience but are you sure, as my local VW dealer tells me it's moulded in as part of the complete washer bottle and only replaceable as part of the complete assembly (which if true seems a really stupid idea !)

I must admit when I looked at it in the summer (after taking off the wheel and wheel arch liner), it didn't look like it would just pull out ? Does the fact that her's has the factory Xenons (HID's) make any difference ?

This is her car:

iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I have no issues with you doubting me. I'm a scientist, we do it all the time. So that's fine.

if you look at the catalogue, it's a separate part, so that means it's replacable.
Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 12.29.25.png
Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 12.29.25.png (434.37 KiB) Viewed 580 times
There is no mention in the workshop manual to replace it, but I've replace a sensor before.
Discoboy
New
Drives: 2022 GTi

Post by Discoboy »

Hello Norbreck,
When I owned a 2014 Blue GT (6C) from new some years back now I had the exact same issue as you.
Turns out due to the very low millage I did and so a low amount of washer fluid used. The washer fluid I had in stock to top was old and the alcohol or other chemical that is in the washer fluid had lost its strength.
When I emptied the washer bottle and filled up again with new just purchased fluid mix the problem was solved.
I discussed this with the dealer at the time and the service department informed me the level sensor is also sensitive to the washer fluid strength/concentration level.
So if not already tried may be worth a try with fresh fluid….