Slow opening boot

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ElAlastair
New
Drives: 6C

Slow opening boot

Post by ElAlastair »

A while ago a garage replaced the original boot struts on my 6C, claiming there was something wrong with them (there wasn’t).

The ones they put on in replacement I’m finding incredibly annoying.

It takes the boot forever to open, if it makes it all the way, and I’ve smacked my head on it several times after being used to my original boot struts opening it much quicker.

The ship has sailed on getting the old ones put back on, though thankfully I got a refund for the botched job. I’m now stuck with these new struts though.

A few questions as someone who knows nothing about them:

Can they be adjusted to open quicker?
If not, are there any replacement struts that people recommend?
Do I need any particular tools and is it a straightforward switch?

I’ve read a few places that say this kind of slow opening is normal but my original boot struts from the factory definitely worked a lot better.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Slow opening boot

Post by iichel »

No you cannot adjust them. Why not get a pair of oem ones and put them on yourself? The only tool you need is a small flat head screwdriver.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

As above, plus, cold winter weather is not a friend of sealed pressurised parts like these struts.

After buying a new pair of struts, just open the hatch fully and support it in that position with a long piece of wood, then swop one strut at a time.

I've never had to do this, but when my wife's previous Polo was in its 12th winter from new, it did annoy me a bit - but not her as she is just 5 feet tall!
ElAlastair
New

Post by ElAlastair »

Looks like I’m buying some new boot struts then (sigh). Thanks!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yup, or buying protective headgear!

There are plenty re-sellers of these parts, but they might not be manufactured by the same company that makes them for VW, if that counts for anything, which in your case it might as someone has already got this wrong for you!

Edit:- for instance, ECP sell Lesjofors version for your car at £30.99 each, they are a trusted spring and strut brand, so that means £61.98 !
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:19 am Yup, or buying protective headgear!

There are plenty re-sellers of these parts, but they might not be manufactured by the same company that makes them for VW, if that counts for anything, which in your case it might as someone has already got this wrong for you!

Edit:- for instance, ECP sell Lesjofors version for your car at £30.99 each, they are a trusted spring and strut brand, so that means £61.98 !
Wow, that price seems a bit too steep for boot lid struts. :shock:
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

I bought a set of Stabilus struts either from eBay or AutoDoc and I think that the pair came in at under £30.
The are OE for various manufacturers, possibly including VW, but definitely on Porsche.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

amer6R wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:43 pm Wow, that price seems a bit too steep for boot lid struts. :shock:
And, from an aftermarket seller of car parts, that is thought to be a cheap option, I too was more than slightly shocked!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

SimonPoole wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:58 pm I bought a set of Stabilus struts either from eBay or AutoDoc and I think that the pair came in at under £30.
The are OE for various manufacturers, possibly including VW, but definitely on Porsche.
Probably a job for AutoDoc then, I've used AutoDoc for front wheel bearings, and found them easy enough to deal with, and delivery within 10 days, not many UK traders that are getting orders out to you within 10 days right now! (moan grumble - rage!!)

Edit:- I'm guessing that gas struts are being looked on as being "luxuries" and not normal service/repair parts.
ElAlastair
New

Post by ElAlastair »

Out of interest does anyone know the part number for the OEM boot strut? Or a direct link? Thanks.

Honestly know nothing about boot struts other than that my old ones worked fine so I’ll use that as a starting point.

Thanks for the tips on alternatives.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

ElAlastair wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:46 pm Out of interest does anyone know the part number for the OEM boot strut? Or a direct link? Thanks.

Honestly know nothing about boot struts other than that my old ones worked fine so I’ll use that as a starting point.

6R6827550 ( B - for WRC, C, A)
1pcs from dealer ~48 eur

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/tai ... 50-1-4-tdi
ElAlastair
New

Post by ElAlastair »

amer6R wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:16 am
ElAlastair wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:46 pm Out of interest does anyone know the part number for the OEM boot strut? Or a direct link? Thanks.

6R6827550 ( B - for WRC, C, A)
1pcs from dealer ~48 eur

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/tai ... 50-1-4-tdi
Thanks for that. Pardon my ignorance, but what does the B/C/A mean?

I can't see the genuine VW struts online new, so I guess it's a case of going direct to a VW dealership?

I'll take a look at the other manufacturers, but first I'll check what's on my car at the minute to avoid whoever made these useless things.
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

These are the ones which I purchased earlier this year for my son's 62 plate Polo Match;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174943235838
ElAlastair
New

Post by ElAlastair »

In the end I bought some OEM ones from a genuine parts dealer. More expensive than other brands, but I got them a bit cheaper than the main VW dealers quoted, and if they last as long and work as well as the old ones I’ll be happy.

(These have a ‘D’ suffix on the part number; apparently correct for this vehicle).

Cheers!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

Mines been playing up since the weather turned cold. Just ordered pretty much the first set I came to on FleaBay that matched the part number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184938135433

Ordered them over the Christmas break so they're penciled in to arrive of the 4th. I'll let you know whether we are in "buy cheap, buy twice" territory when they arrive. :| :D