Noisy brakes 2022 GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Metman888
New
Drives: 2022 Polo GTi

Noisy brakes 2022 GTi

Post by Metman888 »

Anybody's brakes suddenly gone noisy in this cold weather? Mine have always made a bit of a squeak when I've reversed onto my drive, not enough to rush to the dealer with but this last week they've become quite noisy when braking going forwards. They get a bit better by the time I get to work but on the way home they start again.

From what I can see the discs look perfect and the car only has 2700 miles of mainly motorway so I know the pads are good.

Cheers
Discoboy
New
Drives: 2022 GTi

Re: Noisy brakes 2022 GTi

Post by Discoboy »

Since the cold weather mine have started to make a bit of a squeaking when reversing out of my drive during braking but all OK during normal froward driving and braking so far...
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Mine are fine forward and back, just squeak when I brake when reversing. I’ve put this down to moisture as it isn’t doing this if I’ve braked hard prior and then reverse.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Yes, mine too at times.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Mine are fine both forward and backward. But whether this is because the car is always garaged when not in use, I don't know.
Metman888
New

Post by Metman888 »

Cheers for the reples fella's and sorry for my late one, had a busy day at work. Hopefully it's just a temperature thing, makes sense as it goes quiet after a while. Probably doesn't help with my commute being 38 miles of motorway and 2 miles of A roads. Finished work this morning at 01:30am and it was -6 on the dash. Got home and brakes still squealed a bit as i pulled up outside house. When I parked up I touched the brake disc and it was still freezing cold, it's supposed to warm up a bit over the weekend so i'll take if for a more spirited drive to see if that helps.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

My journey is similar to yours metman and I’m the same. However if I’ve had to brake hard after coming off the motorway it then doesn’t squeak. So should go as the weather warms.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:27 pm My journey is similar to yours metman and I’m the same. However if I’ve had to brake hard after coming off the motorway it then doesn’t squeak. So should go as the weather warms.
…. “Use ‘em or lose ‘em” is the prescribed method of looking after brakes. And many other things.

A regular dose of serious braking will keep the dust and any other squeak-inducing materials off your discs and pads.

Highly recommended.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Boxerboy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:48 pm …. “Use ‘em or lose ‘em” is the prescribed method of looking after brakes. And many other things.

A regular dose of serious braking will keep the dust and any other squeak-inducing materials off your discs and pads.

Highly recommended.
Very true.

The only times my car’s brakes make a noise are;
  • first time of use after washing the car if it’s been parked up - then when I reverse, I get the ‘mooing’ noise that affected pre-facelift AW Polo GTI’s. For those who are interested and not familiar with mooing brakes, use the forum search function and search on ‘Mooing’.
  • if the car’s not been used for a few days - brakes squeal when I apply them after reversing out of my garage.
At all other times, they’re silent in operation.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

have noticed some noise on my as well. If I lift my foot from the pedal of the brake and let the car move, on its own and apply the brake again very gently, then I can hear them. but if I apply the brake with a little more pressure then no noise, just seems to be when the car is moving off with no gas pedal at all, sounds like a friction noise, maybe just making slight contact, but any more pressure from me and nothing , and any more speed then nothing
Metman888
New

Post by Metman888 »

Just a follow up to this, took the car for a more spirited drive, at least as much as the conditions allow, the brakes have once again returned to being silent, at least when braking going forwards. They still make a bit of noise when I brake in reverse but i can live with that.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

Metman888 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:37 am Just a follow up to this, took the car for a more spirited drive, at least as much as the conditions allow, the brakes have once again returned to being silent, at least when braking going forwards. They still make a bit of noise when I brake in reverse but i can live with that.
For some of us, that reversing squeak / groan / moan, call it what you will, did eventually disappear for good.