POLO 6R Barrel Binding

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
rashel54321
New
Drives: 6R

POLO 6R Barrel Binding

Post by rashel54321 »

My central does not have a remote fob so to unlock it the key has to manually be turned in the door barrel. Today for the first time i experienced this issue.

I went to turn my key to unlock and as I did it felt as though the key was binding and so the lock was difficult to turn and unlock. The key does however freely turn when trying to lock (only binds on unlock). I was however able to force it to turn open but when it did unlock, both the passenger and driver doors dropped halfway. I assumed the rear windows did not drop as they’re manual windy windows. I hope this is a clue to what the problem is.

I’ve stopped using the drivers door and now use the passenger door to unlock so as to not worsen the issue. Can someone give me an idea of what the issue may be.

Many thanks.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: POLO 6R Barrel Binding

Post by Maarten »

When holding the key in the open position, all power windows will go down.
When holding in the close position they will go up.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Maarten wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:04 am When holding the key in the open position, all power windows will go down.
When holding in the close position they will go up.
A fact little known by many owners

As for the OP I think you need to remove the interior door panel and disconnect the rod from the barrel, then try the key again .this will tell you if it’s the key barrel or the door latch that’s faulty
rashel54321
New
Drives: 6R

Post by rashel54321 »

PSA I ended up not fixing this and now my barrel spins freely without locking or unlocking. If your lock binds DO NOT ignore it.

Now I’m looking into installing remote central locking to remedy the situation.

I can’t find a lock repair kit for my barrel (2011 Polo 6R1). I only seem to find barrel repair kits for the 6N Polos. Does anyone know if one exists for the 6R.