Just venting!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Just venting!

Post by spartacus68 »

So, got up early, I’m not feeling great as been dealing with shingles and my vision is screwed in one eye for a couple of weeks. Anyway, oil change on the Polo 1.4 TDI as part of a full service. Could hardly feel my fingers as it was around 2 degrees. Used the correct filter housing tool, which just slipped. Tried a jubilee clip around the filter to keep tension on it, and even put a block of wood on the filter tool with a jack to keep it in the right position. Nowt, just slipped. Now cursing and wishing I’d stayed in bed. Of course the oil is drained and I’m not away to pour 4 litres of Castrol Edge into the engine with a dirty filter.

Grabbed a coffee to compose myself. Car is is only 49k miles. Do I just fill it with fresh oil and put it down to experience? Don’t be daft, I attacked it with a pair of claw grips. These are wide jaw grips. I’ve used this tool on all manner of things including shock absorbers. Absolute quality and has earned its spurs. Of course the filter is now leaking the remaining oil. I spray on some Teflon penetrating spray in desperation on the rubber gasket. I also use an extension tube for leverage.

For those of you that have been under a 1.4TDI, there’s no space to swing a cat. You can’t even get mole grips on the oil filter properly. I scrunched the filter for all it was worth and it moved slightly. I’ve never been so happy. :D

Filter eventually released and it came off. Before you ask I always apply a thin smear of fresh oil. I probably over-tightened and with hot engine it created a bit of a vacuum and seized solid.

Please VW when you make new ICE versions, put ‘em up top in the engine bay like Audi. :wink:

Anyway, that was my Sunday.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Just venting!

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh blinking joy - not!

Maybe better to move the service back/forward to a warmer time of year when these issues become only slightly annoying. I hate doing car jobs in winter!

I've never ever had trouble with changing oil filters underneath a car - except on my 2000 VW Passat, I did the "shock - horror" thing of replacing the first oil and filter early ie before its first VW dealership service - that oil filter was super tight, and it was the type with multi ribs on it, so I just used the filter removal tool that I had bought for my 1991 VW Cav GSI 4X4 - that Cav GSI had a small access hatch on the side of the under cover with a Dzus fixing, dead easy to reach, but only if you used a "slip on then tighten" type of filter removal tool, ie one with a built in Jubilee clip.

Only once in about 50 years of messing with cars did I ever give in early and resort to the "trusted?" hammer a screwdriver through it, that almost ended in tears and included some blood, at that time I was using a chain type tool, so I can't remember what went wrong to force me to do that!

The problem taking that 2000 VW Passat 4Motion (Audi engine etc) off I put down to it possibly having been put on "dry" at the engine plant.

My wife's previous Polo (2002 1.4 petrol) had a hex on the end of the filter making life very easy, her current Polo has multi flats and I bought the correct Mann tool before I changed its oil for the first time outside "new car warranty with service package" and so far, no issues. For the 2011 S4 I bought a hex filter cover socket, just as my sockets are mainly bi-hex and I didn't want to create a problem.

Edit:- do you make a point of checking that the threaded nipple that the filter screws onto is still "good and tight" at the engine side, before fitting a new filter, this, it seems can be an issue with the TSI engines from the EA211 family - and maybe others?
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Re: Just venting!

Post by wolfie »

Shouldn't laugh but I think we've all been there at some point down the years. Isn't that what they call "the joys of motoring?".. :lol: :lol:
Problem is modern cars are intended to be built quickly and efficiently on a production line, being able to reach an oil filter for routine service is more of an after thought. They should have a warning in the manual for which joints in your arm you need to dislocate to reach each item.

We've all been there. Taking the skin off your knuckles is a given, but I've also done the oil draining straight up my sleeve more than once. And on one particularly ill-chosen windy day had the draining oil change direction and go straight down my shirt collar! To be fair current Polo is a doddle to do most service items. Oil filter sits on top of the engine and doesn't even spill a drop on a good day. I have become a fair-weather mechanic though. Servicing gets done when its warm and dry!

I had a 4X4 Gsi. I'd fogotten all about the little oil filter access hatch. Those were the days when surrounding the engine with plastic covers was just beginning to be the thing.. :)