Led lights on a polo

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RealInsky
New
Drives: Polo 2021 comfortline

Led lights on a polo

Post by RealInsky »

Hello guys,
I come once again to ask about your experience with Polo's, I want to replace my headlight bulb with a led lamp, do you have any known led lights that fit the polo that already has canbus, any lights that are good and required separate canbus or is it better to try and code to Polo for the led lights? If so which odb do you recommend?
If i use 55w leds will i still have an error?
Best regards,
NR INFO
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: Led lights on a polo

Post by Maarten »

AFAIK all polo AW have LED headlights.
Only difference is normal LED or matrix IQ LED
Schermafbeelding 2023-03-21 142021.jpg
Schermafbeelding 2023-03-21 142021.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Translation:
Headlight LED (standard)
Headlight LED Matrix (IQ.Light)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Maarten wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:18 pm AFAIK all polo AW have LED headlights.

Translation:
Headlight LED (standard)
In the UK, all facelift (BZ) Polos have LED headlights but with the pre-facelift (AW) model, only the GTI+ model had LED headlamps as standard; they were an extra cost option on all other trim levels other than the entry level ‘S’ model where they weren’t available.

@RealInsky; your forum signature shows your car as a 2021 Polo in Comfortline trim. If those details are correct, then a 2021 model Polo will be a facelift car in which case as @Maarten has said, your car should already have LED headlights.
Maarten
Silver Member

Post by Maarten »

Yes I should have been more clear, my suspicion was that TS had a FL version.
The pre FL had also halogen lights

Thanks for your correction @srgtd :wink: :D
RealInsky
New

Post by RealInsky »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:46 pm
Maarten wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:18 pm AFAIK all polo AW have LED headlights.

Translation:
Headlight LED (standard)
In the UK, all facelift (BZ) Polos have LED headlights but with the pre-facelift (AW) model, only the GTI+ model had LED headlamps as standard; they were an extra cost option on all other trim levels other than the entry level ‘S’ model where they weren’t available.

@RealInsky; your forum signature shows your car as a 2021 Polo in Comfortline trim. If those details are correct, then a 2021 model Polo will be a facelift car in which case as @Maarten has said, your car should already have LED headlights.
Hello,
Thank you for your reply, I will certainly check on that, sorry but I'm a beginner on this how can I make sure that indeed it has led lights? Fyi the color once they are turned on is yellow
Best regards,
NR INFO
Maarten
Silver Member

Post by Maarten »

When you have the facelift version you have LED as standard.
The pre facelift not.
If your daytime leds are in the bumper you should have halogen light, if they are in the lightunit than probably LED light.

Why don't you post a picture of your car?
RealInsky
New

Post by RealInsky »

Maarten wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:32 pm When you have the facelift version you have LED as standard.
The pre facelift not.
If your daytime leds are in the bumper you should have halogen light, if they are in the lightunit than probably LED light.

Why don't you post a picture of your car?
Thanks,
I can do that once I leave work. My day lights are next to the fog lights.
Maarten
Silver Member

Post by Maarten »

Probably Halogen, but please share the pictures later today.
RealInsky
New

Post by RealInsky »

Maarten wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:40 pm Probably Halogen, but please share the pictures later today.
ab61f4fd-c3d3-fa05-9bb4-020b8d0bc6ee-d0b9b412-109e-42df-951a-1bf4e35bc1fdjpg.jpg
ab61f4fd-c3d3-fa05-9bb4-020b8d0bc6ee-d0b9b412-109e-42df-951a-1bf4e35bc1fdjpg.jpg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
Its the same as this one
Maarten
Silver Member

Post by Maarten »

Yes that's a halogen lightunit
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

RealInsky wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:45 pm
Maarten wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:40 pm Probably Halogen, but please share the pictures later today.
ab61f4fd-c3d3-fa05-9bb4-020b8d0bc6ee-d0b9b412-109e-42df-951a-1bf4e35bc1fdjpg.jpg

Its the same as this one
Ah; apologies! 😳. My earlier post was incorrect - a 2021 model Polo will be a pre-facelift car, so a Comfortline model will have halogen headlamps.

Be aware that fitting LED bulbs in halogen headlamps that weren’t designed for LED bulbs used to often result in a poor beam pattern, poor forward light projection and beam scatter which can dazzle oncoming motorists. Technology may have improved so this may no longer be the case. However, with this in mind, you may be better considering upgrading to a better set of halogen bulbs - something like Philips Racing Vision GT200 or Osram Night Breaker 200% Bulbs. I’ve no personal experience of either of these - or any other halogen bulb upgrades - so can’t vouch for how much of an improvement these would make in terms of illumination compared to the OEM halogen bulbs.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I’d highly recommend the following: https://autobeam.co.uk/collections/volk ... erformance

They come with 5 year warranty, full metal body construction, and have built in cooling fan. I have used AutoBeam LED lights and they are very well built, durable and the light emitting diode is put in the correct place to match the original halogen bulb so that the light beam is accurate to how it was supposed to be designed.
RealInsky
New

Post by RealInsky »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:56 pm I’d highly recommend the following: https://autobeam.co.uk/collections/volk ... erformance

They come with 5 year warranty, full metal body construction, and have built in cooling fan. I have used AutoBeam LED lights and they are very well built, durable and the light emitting diode is put in the correct place to match the original halogen bulb so that the light beam is accurate to how it was supposed to be designed.
Hello,
I'll check those ones, thank you very much :D
Just to check do they need any adaptation or are they compatible out of the box?
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

They should come with a small resistor box that’s part of the wiring, and you plug that in to the original light socket connector and the car would think it’s a normal bulb. That was with the slightly older version to the one I showed you so I’m not sure if they’ve built the resistor into the light itself or if there is still a small box as part of the wiring. It’s plug and play so no crimping needed.
J+silva
Bronze Member
Drives: polo conf.

Post by J+silva »

RealInsky wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:47 pm Hello guys,
I come once again to ask about your experience with Polo's, I want to replace my headlight bulb with a led lamp, do you have any known led lights that fit the polo that already has canbus, any lights that are good and required separate canbus or is it better to try and code to Polo for the led lights? If so which odb do you recommend?
If i use 55w leds will i still have an error?
Best regards,
NR INFO
I have the polo with LEDs, personally I find the light much weak than my seat, so much so that it comes with standart turning on the fog lights that help with lighting.
Knowing what I know I would put some good bulbs in the lighthouse, you will spend a lot of money and maybe you won't be satisfied.