key fob battery lifespan ?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

key fob battery lifespan ?

Post by LEEA123 »

Hi all, just a little question. My 2022 gti key fob battery, what is the lifespan before you would suggest changing? I do not have a keyless start system, so i assume the only time the battery gets used is when I push the button to lock and unlock the car.
And is it a very simple process to change the battery when required?
Thank you
Regards
Lee
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: key fob battery lifespan ?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Hi LEEA123

I tend to replace mine annually (keyless). As for replacing it yourself, very staright forward. Here is a video clip showing you how to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_UBfkL ... yMateVINCE

Even though its for an older model the key fob battery replacement is still the same.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Prior to my current Polo GTI+, none of my previous four a VW’s were keyless. I kept each of those cars between 4 and 5 years and when I sold each of them, the key fobs were still working perfectly on the original batteries. So, depending on how long you keep your car, you may never need to change the battery. My current car has keyless and I needed to fit a new battery at around two years old, although I do disable the keyless function each time I lock the car.

If your key fob is like the one below, if you ever do need to replace the battery it’s really easy to do.
IMG_1135.jpeg
IMG_1135.jpeg (11.22 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

The YouTube video at the link below shows you how. Note that some VW fobs use a CR2032 battery and others use a CR2025.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1_UBfkLCbu0
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:30 pm The YouTube video at the link below shows you how. Note that some VW fobs use a CR2032 battery and others use a CR2025.
My 2020 Polo is a 2032, so I'd say all AW Polos are a 2032.
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

I've changed my battery yearly, the dashboard will pop-up with a warning letting you know that your key battery is low. The battery is within a cover which you can pop once you open the key.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PO10ASH wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:17 pm I've changed my battery yearly, the dashboard will pop-up with a warning letting you know that your key battery is low. The battery is within a cover which you can pop once you open the key.
I got the pop up warning on the instrument display when I needed to replace the battery. I keep a spare key fob battery in my car, plus another in my wallet in case the one in the key fob ‘dies’ unexpectedly. The spare batteries have a long shelf life so I’m hoping I’m well prepared if I do need to use them at short notice.