Hit massive pothole and no obvious damage

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Hit massive pothole and no obvious damage

Post by Harrihealey02 »

It just a testament to how strong the car is! I was driving at 30 ish mph and my front right tire made the most brutal blow and judder from a pothole!

As I hit the pothole on the driver's side, the impact was powerful and jarring, far greater than I had anticipated any impact at 30mph to be. Despite my initial fear, I was relieved to find that there was no immediate or obvious damage to the car. It seemed to be driving perfectly fine, with no strange noises or wobbles. The pothole seemed big, bigger than a football, and it was deep, measuring about 5 inches.

Still, the memory of the impact lingered, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease as I continued along the road. Although the car seemed to be functioning normally, I knew that the true extent of the damage might not be apparent until later.

As I drove on, I couldn't help but wonder if the pothole had left a lasting mark on my car, one that would only reveal itself with time. Despite the lack of immediate damage, I knew that the incident had been a reminder of the unpredictable nature of the road.

I pulled over and took a look at the wheel, I could see there the tyre had bent inward as there was a black oblong mark along the alloy but no bent rim or damaged tire and no undercarriage damage or bumper scrape. Still, I made a mental note to have the car checked out as soon as possible, just to be sure that there was no hidden damage. It’s been booked in to have the alignment checked as I think the steering wheel is slightly off centre when driving straight but that could have always been there and I’m only talking about 1’ out.

Has anyone had a similar experience and been surprised that there was no damage?
CricketLover
New
Drives: Polo gti Facelift. March 2023

Re: Hit massive pothole and no obvious damage

Post by CricketLover »

Sounds like you were lucky! I hit a deep pot hole in February and had to replace the tyre. Also got a large scratch across the alloy wheel.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

Do double check your tyre closely.

A pot hole slashed the sidewall on our nearly new front RH tyre a few years ago.

Not always glaringly obvious.

New tyre right away.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

A was less fortunate. Hit a pothole in my GTI tyre had a cm long cut in it. When I got the tyre replaced the inner part of the wheel rim had buckled slightly. It passed the garage checks and drives fine but just shows the state of the UK roads. I’m sure the low profile tyres on the 18s didn’t help!
Harrihealey02
Silver Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Considering the sound of the impact and feel I decided to book it in for an alignment check and for them to double check everything. I’ve been driving 10 years and don’t think I’ve ever had one that bad before. I couldn’t see any sign of damage on the tire - no bulges, scraped or tears. Is a good year premium contact tire. The pressure of the tires are 37psi from factory and haven’t dropped. It drives fine, so if there is any damage internally from the rim I’ll not worry about it since the tire is performing fine and it would get noticed when I next change the tires.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Out of interest.

When you say that you've examined the tyre. Have you actually taken the wheel off the car (or used a ramp) and examined the inside of the tyre / wheel?

I only ask, as hit a bad pot hole once and it was only when I removed the wheel and inspected the inside, that I spotted a HUGE side wall bulge. Totally not visible with the wheel on the car.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

when i hit one in my old fiesta st, nothing showed on outside, I looked at inside of wheel and there i see the damage, bent alloy wheel and slow air leak, new tyre and alloy, so annoying
Harrihealey02
Silver Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Oh dear sorry to hear about the bad experience you have had! Got mine checked and they said nothing to worry about everything is fine and the steering wheel is slightly to the left because of the road camber. So all good.