Steering and gear nob swap

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kg212
New
Drives: Gti aw

Steering and gear nob swap

Post by Kg212 »

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie

My question is, can I swap my Polo Gti AW steering wheel with the new facelift Gti BZ steering wheel and will it be fully functional the same questions applies for the gear knob from BZ to AW and will it be fully functional aswell(light on the gear knob)?

I just love how the new features on the Polo Gti BZ look, but I just need them on my AW 8) .

Thanks
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Steering and gear nob swap

Post by SRGTD »

I think forum member @Scotty_boy vw has fitted the BZ version of the DSG gear selector and the mk8 Golf steering wheel; similar - if not the same - as the steering wheel in the BZ Polo GTI. I don’t know if all the steering wheel functions can be activated in the AW polo GTI; maybe @Scotty_boy vw will be able to advise on this.

A couple of things to consider with the steering wheel;
  • The mk8 Golf’s steering wheel with the haptic touch pads seems to be the cause of multiple false travel assist and SOS warning errors. Lots of cars waiting for replacement steering wheels or modules within the steering wheel to fix, although some owners on various forums that have had a replacement steering wheel have reported they’re still getting the errors. There are also one or two BZ Polo GTI owners on the forum who have had false error messages / warnings attributed to the steering wheel and they’re waiting for replacement steering wheels (currently on back order due to the sheer number being replaced under warranty, which must be costing VW a fortune).

The articles at the links below suggest VW are going to revert back to using steering wheels with physical buttons when the mk8 Golf gets its mid-life facelift, so maybe in addition to the comments in those articles that customers prefer physical buttons over haptic touch pads, it’s might also be an admission by VW that steering wheels with physical buttons are more reliable and less problematic.

https://www.motor1.com/news/618057/vw-b ... ing-wheel/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/vw-brings ... s-complain
  • I personally think it’s easier to operate the functions on a steering wheel with physical buttons than one with haptic touch pads (just my opinion though).
I prefer the DSG selector and steering wheel with physical buttons on my AW Polo GTI+ to those fitted in the facelift BZ car. That’s just my opinion though and it’s good we don’t all like the same things, otherwise life would get boring 🙂.
bouncybrick
New
Drives: Polo 6 AW 2018

Re: Steering and gear nob swap

Post by bouncybrick »

Hi Kg212,
I'd like to change the grear lever knob as well, mind if I ask you how do you take apart the gearshift?
In many vw related videos they seem to just press on some kind of pin and just pull up the cover surrounding the lever.
Is it the same? Or do you have to pull up the cover from what seems to be the "ticket holder"?
Cheers