Power Steering Broken

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
FreeHassan
New
Drives: 9n GT TDI

Power Steering Broken

Post by FreeHassan »

Hi everyone new to these forums but this is my second Polo GT (my mum crashed my first one) I’ve just picked this up 2 weeks ago and I am struggling to get the power steering to work.

It’s a BLT GT TDI. I bought it 2 weeks ago with the power steering already not working. The previous owner drove it like this for a whole year. The mechanic discovered a leak from the lines, so I changed the lines and the rack with one from a Fabia VRS. The power steering still didn’t work, I’ve done all the power checks. There’s a 55AH battery in there, I’ve tested power at the posts both ignition and start and it’s all normal.

I then changed the pump on the car for another unit (pre owned) no improvement.

The only assisted steering I get is locking to the left and it’s only brief. I’ve taken the subframe mount bolt and replaced it with the correct 61mm bolt and still no steering. I’ve checked the wire for the PAS sensor which goes on the rack at the top and the wire sends power down all 3 wires. Unsure if it needs a new rack or a new pas sensor. When the pas sensor is disconnected from the rack can hear the pump operating.

With it all connected I can access the PAS (44) system with OBD11 and on the live data I can see the pump rpm and power amps. I can also move the steering and see the value get updated so I am at a loss on what to do.