Polo GTI coil spring swap

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
rhodesyb
New
Drives: Polo GTI 1.8 TSI 2015

Polo GTI coil spring swap

Post by rhodesyb »

Hi Guys. I bought a Polo GTI 6C about 6 months ago, it came with H&R lowering springs on when i got it. I’ve just had it in at the garage today as the ride felt off, turns out the front left passenger coil spring has snapped.

I’ve found the ride a bit hard since i got it and was debating changing them for something softer anyway, seems like a perfect opportunity. Does anyone know if the stock GTI springs are a softer ride? Or recommend a set of aftermarket springs that have a smoother ride :)

Thanks
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Polo GTI coil spring swap

Post by iichel »

The smoothest ride will be original height, no doubt. If you want it lowered, try to find linear springs instead of progressive.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

I thought the standard set up in my wife 6c GTI were on the far side of firm but its a trade off I'm prepared to make for the superb handling. Having experienced the change (for the worse) in ride quality when I lowered my Mk1 Golf GTI by 40mm I cant imagine how bad the ride would be in a lowered 6c GTI. Ive used Eibach in the past (but not on the 6c) with good results. Minimal lowering, virtually unchanged ride quality and improved handling compared to OEM
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

On the topic of ride quality. The ride in my GTi with stock suspension was getting pretty bad so over the past few months I've had all the bushes and other rubbers replaced and or upgraded front and back now it handles great. I found that the front top mounts made the biggest difference in ride quality and helped greatly in rounding off harsh bumps and potholes. It was also only £40 for the pair. They didn't look too bad but there 100% has been an improvement in ride quality and if you're already changing the springs they're right there anyway.

Having been on lowering springs it may also be necessary to replace the bump stops if you're going back to stock as they may have been cut down and if not are probably battered.

Top mounts and bearings:
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lemforder/7703891

If you want to upgrade the front lower control arm bushes you can fit the Ibiza Cupra lower arms which come with a solid bush vs the polos voided bush or just replace the bushes. You will get more NVH but better steering and longevity with the solid bush. Although if it's a better ride your after, stick with the voided bush just keep an eye out for uneven tyre wear, specifically on the inside edge.
See the thread regarding the options available:
https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=77980
rhodesyb
New
Drives: Polo GTI 1.8 TSI 2015

Post by rhodesyb »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ve decided to go back to the stock coil springs, managed to get a brand new set for £110. Fair bit cheaper than any decent lowering springs.

I think i’ll get front mounts replaced as you recommend. Looks like theyre on sale for £30 quid right now and like you say, the suspensions are off anyway.

The car looked great lowered but i know the GTI is lower by about 15mm anyway so dont think it will make too much of a difference. I will report back re the ride quality!