Old VW antics

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Old VW antics

Post by littlepolo »

On a warm day (low 20s) where the Polo has been parked up during the day and I drive it after I turn on the sidelights. At the same time, the rear fog lamp warning light illuminates as does the lamp itself. After driving for say 10-15 mins, I try the sidelights again and this time the rear fog lamp does not illuminate.
I've had a similar issue in the winter time, especially when the it's foggy and the air is damp, e.g. during November. Any thoughts on the likely cause?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Old VW antics

Post by iichel »

sounds like a short circuit somewhere, but you'd expect that to occur at colder and/or wet weather rather than hot-ish weather
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

It does exhibit odd behaviour during hot weather and cold weather. Reversal of the power windows left to right and up to down (everything backwards) durign wet winter weather is the most interesting!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

The latest oddity I've seen in hot weather is front n/s position lamp on with lights switched off and ignition off. When I went for a drive I put on the side lights and then the rear for came on again!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Update. When switching on side position lamps while engine is running/under way, the instrument cluster LEDs dim.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Old VW antics - updates

Post by littlepolo »

No 'whoosh' sound when opening the petrol filler cap.

No warning buzzer when sidelights left on (some of the time)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Gear position indicator LED segment not illuminating completely. I thought I had fixed this with the removal of the instrument panel and re-soldering of prime suspect joints.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

littlepolo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:20 am Update. When switching on side position lamps while engine is running/under way, the instrument cluster LEDs dim.
Is this not intentional? For instance when you need headlights(side position lights on their own are not legal in UK if you are moving) on the ambient lighting level is lower and so if the instrument panel lights stayed at their daylight brightness, then they would be annoying and probably causing your eyes to "close down" a bit and that would reduce your vision of what is going on out with the car.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

littlepolo wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:28 pm No 'whoosh' sound when opening the petrol filler cap.

I'm not convinced that I always notice a "whoosh" when removing the fuel cap to refuel, but I maybe just guessing that bit.

No warning buzzer when side lights are on and you open the driver's door points to a wiring failure or door lock function failure.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:54 pm
littlepolo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:20 am Update. When switching on side position lamps while engine is running/under way, the instrument cluster LEDs dim.
Is this not intentional? For instance when you need headlights(side position lights on their own are not legal in UK if you are moving) on the ambient lighting level is lower and so if the instrument panel lights stayed at their daylight brightness, then they would be annoying and probably causing your eyes to "close down" a bit and that would reduce your vision of what is going on out with the car.
That is a very good explanation!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:56 pm
littlepolo wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:28 pm No 'whoosh' sound when opening the petrol filler cap.

I'm not convinced that I always notice a "whoosh" when removing the fuel cap to refuel, but I maybe just guessing that bit.

No warning buzzer when side lights are on and you open the driver's door points to a wiring failure or door lock function failure.
The thing is, there was a whoosh on occasion (not always) and now there is not.

Yes, potentially a wiring or door lock issue. In total with the strange things going on with the rest of the electrics (crossed electric window operation, fog lamps coming on with side position indicators, and tailgate not unlocking on central locking and intermittent rear wiper operation, etc.) makes me wonder.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Recent fuel consumption calculated at 45mpg (60/40 highway/urban). Knocking has not been such an issue this summer, possibly due to the milder temps.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I was surprised to record 47mpg 60/40 highway/local recently.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Emissions results at recent MOT:

Fast idle
CO 0.00 % vol
HC 11 ppm
Lambda 1.001

Natural idle
CO 0.02 % vol
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

the fuel filler flap has got a bit of spring in it (from somewhere) and now needs to be held in to be locked (on the key).