Cruise control doing cheeky stuff

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
P6ldma
New
Drives: 6R 1.2l tdi coupe

Cruise control doing cheeky stuff

Post by P6ldma »

Hey guys.
So the cruise control on my 2011 polo (1.2tdi) works BUT only when I tap the button for who knows how many times, sometimes with no results. I've seen the pattern that if i do get CC activated whenever i use the blinker or highbeams my CC deactivates. Sometimes when i once again can't activate CC flicking highbeams on and off a few times can help with getting CC to work.
Any ideas as to what it could be?
Also no aftermarket things have been done. No faults with lights or anything else. Problem persists whether it's summer of winter.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Cruise control doing cheeky stuff

Post by CarbonChaos »

Try a new switch, pretty sure that will sort it.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

+1

Toymachine1
New
Drives: Polo 6R Comfortline 2010

Post by Toymachine1 »

I had same symptoms and now cruise control has been completely dead for a bit. Just received new part (6Q0953513AL) today. I will let you know if changing that fixes it when I get to it. Note you might need bit different part depending on your cars configuration.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

The 6Q0 part is correct for model years 2009, 2010 and 2011. The 2012 and 2013 model years use the 6R0 stalks.
The 6Q0 stalks transfer over from the Polo 9N/3, albeit with a different font on it for the 6R. Somehow the picture shows a 9N3 interior too.

The 6R0 and 6Q0 stalks are not interchangeable, they have different slip rings.

Most likely, one or more of the wires in the stalk have broken, near the point of rotation. If you're handy, you can disassemble the stalk unit and unveil the wiring.
It's about a 30 minute repair, and you need a small torx screw driver and a soldering iron and likely some replacement wire.
Toymachine1
New
Drives: Polo 6R Comfortline 2010

Post by Toymachine1 »

Changed my stalks today and cruise control system is back online!
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Toymachine1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:47 am Changed my stalks today and cruise control system is back online!
8) 👍

Lately the same symptoms have been reported in the forum regarding the steering column combi switch in the 6R, we could say that these combination switches have a useful life of about 12/13 years. Which isn't bad considering the 6C (pq26) steering column combi switch fail at earlier ages...
I suppose that it will be necessary to press/push/pull with delicacy and affection so that they last longer.😁