Things you just found out about your Polo (AW BZ)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Things you just found out about your Polo (AW BZ)

Post by SRGTD »

grazuncle2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:09 pm
SRGTD wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:21 am
RUM4MO wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:25 am "Manoeuvre braking" - is that the "feature" that can make a DSG equipped car feel that glued to the spot when trying to move slowly?

I'm not a DSG driver, but now I've moved my daughter's Leon Cupra around my garage, I'm not impressed with DSG when driving up and down from ramps etc!
‘Manoeuvre braking’ is where the car with parking sensors detects an object when reversing and applies the brakes to stop you reversing into the object. I’m not sure but I think it may also activate if the car senses you’re about to drive into something during a forward manoeuvre.

The braking can be quite violent; some owners who’ve had the manoeuvre braking function activate while reversing have thought they’ve actually reversed into something and expected to find rear end damage when they got out of their car to check, only to (thankfully) find no damage.
Exactly! This frightened the life out of me when it first happened (driving forward fast to the rear of a stationary vehicle at an island expecting it to move off as it was clear and it didn't) and i didn't know the car had the feature. :shock:
Manoeuvre braking operates at parking speeds, so I think what you probably experienced would’ve been the Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) function of VW’s Front Assist.

AEB Front Assist will brake the car to slow it down or bring it to a stop when travelling at higher speeds if the system ‘thinks’ there’s a risk of a collision. There should be an audible warning and a warning symbol displayed on the instrument panel like the one below; if the driver doesn’t respond to the audible / visual warning by applying the brakes, then the car will automatically apply the brakes.
IMG_0336.jpeg
IMG_0336.jpeg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 580 times
I’ve not had the experience of my car braking; I have had the audible/ visual warning though on a couple of occasions when a car in front of me was making a left turn and my car ‘thought’ I was getting too close (I wasn’t though, as the car in front had completed the left turn manoeuvre in good time).

Always worth remembering that these systems aren’t infallible - I’ve read on some forums where AEB has been triggered by such things as empty metallic crisp packets blowing across the road in front of the car’s radar sensor, or on tight corners with walls / fences on the outside edge of the tight corner.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Re: Things you just found out about your Polo (AW BZ)

Post by grazuncle2 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:50 pm
Manoeuvre braking operates at parking speeds, so I think what you probably experienced would’ve been the Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) function of VW’s Front Assist.

AEB Front Assist will brake the car to slow it down or bring it to a stop when travelling at higher speeds if the system ‘thinks’ there’s a risk of a collision. There should be an audible warning and a warning symbol displayed on the instrument panel like the one below; if the driver doesn’t respond to the audible / visual warning by applying the brakes, then the car will automatically apply the brakes.

Interesting!
I have not have any braking at low speeds.. or I didn't think it was.. I have had 'what appears to be' the rear brakes grind when reversing into my garage (thinking I have definitely hit something) perhaps that is it? The Parking Sensors do bleep when reversing into the garage and the garage door frames are close.. perhaps i am going a just tad quicker than normal on those occasions? So that is manoeuvre Braking then? I'd be relieved if so LOL

IMG_0336.jpeg

I’ve not had the experience of my car braking; I have had the audible/ visual warning though on a couple of occasions when a car in front of me was making a left turn and my car ‘thought’ I was getting too close (I wasn’t though, as the car in front had completed the left turn manoeuvre in good time).

I must have the AEB too... I have had a sudden harsh braking and a loudish beep twice since having this car (nearly 2.5 years now).. Not had a a gentle slowing.. is there a setting for the sensitivity for this AEB option? Aaaah I see there is! Not intending to mess with it though

Always worth remembering that these systems aren’t infallible - I’ve read on some forums where AEB has been triggered by such things as empty metallic crisp packets blowing across the road in front of the car’s radar sensor, or on tight corners with walls / fences on the outside edge of the tight corner.
This has been very informative.. Thanks