Prevent low beam from turning on as drl

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
john2k
New
Drives: 2012 Polo

Prevent low beam from turning on as drl

Post by john2k »

I have a 2012 polo 6r. Both the parking light and the low beam bulb turn on as DRL. Is there a way to just have the parking light run as drl instead of the low beam too?
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Prevent low beam from turning on as drl

Post by amer6R »

isolate the pin on the headlight switch to disable drl

Im not sure why vw made it work like that, good to drain the battery. other brands did it better.

I wish they made the drl or full strength low beam only when the car is ON. not when the ignition is on and switch in 0 position
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Probably required by law, that's why. Having said that, you can disconnect pin 3 on the light switch. Removing the wire to pin 6 will sometimes (if present) the license plate lights.
john2k
New

Post by john2k »

iichel wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:19 am Probably required by law, that's why. Having said that, you can disconnect pin 3 on the light switch. Removing the wire to pin 6 will sometimes (if present) the license plate lights.
So pin 3 will disable the low beams from turning on with DRL? Can the parking light continue to work? I just don’t want the low beam to turn on.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Yes and yes 8)
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

amer6R wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:03 am isolate the pin on the headlight switch to disable drl

Im not sure why vw made it work like that, good to drain the battery. other brands did it better.

I wish they made the drl or full strength low beam only when the car is ON. not when the ignition is on and switch in 0 position
For the 6R, VW operated the DRLs in 'five' different ways depending on equipment, plus other possibilities depending on possible coding.
In those times everything was to be discovered/defined/regulated.

Once the steering wheel is unlocked with the ignition key, anything can happen... you can become the fastest on the planet downhill without having to start the car, and If you move the DRLs are mandatory. 😄
john2k
New

Post by john2k »

iichel wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:05 pm Yes and yes 8)
Thank you. I'm just thinking maybe my question was worded wrong because when i read it back, it sounds like i asked if the normal parking light will continue to work. What i meant to ask was: If I disable pin 3 which disables the low beam bulb as DRL, does that small 5W parking light bulb stay on as DRL or does that also get disabled and only comes on when I turn the headight switch to first first or second setting?
Bobupndown
New
Drives: None

Post by Bobupndown »

Anyone got an image of the switch showing pin to remove?
Do the pins easily pull out?
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Bobupndown wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:43 pm Anyone got an image of the switch showing pin to remove?
just put a small piece of electrical tape over the pin

its the TFL pin ( on your light switch) , third on the bottom ( from left)
Joseph Bloggs
New
Drives: 2011 6R '60 S' 1.2 12v

Post by Joseph Bloggs »

Bobupndown wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:43 pm Anyone got an image of the switch showing pin to remove?
Here ya go... though as you can see I didn't apply the suggested finesse approach of removing the terminal. Instead I simply cut the wire and insulated both ends using heatshrink. :cry: (excuses, excuses... I didn't have the terminal tool to hand)

I can confirm that the only effect I'm aware of on my 2011 base 'S' model is that the dipped beam filament no longer illuminates when ignition is 'on' and lighting switch is set to '0'. :D

Maybe of help too, on my 2011 base 'S' model the wire in question was a grey with purple tracer located just as amer6R says "third wire along"
Attachments
IMG_4400.jpeg
IMG_4400.jpeg (888.63 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Bobupndown
New
Drives: None

Post by Bobupndown »

Thanks guys, in the end I just bent the pin so that it no longer goes into the connector. DRL headlights off, the bulbs will perhaps last longer now.