Meyle HD vs Lemforder

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Meyle HD vs Lemforder

Post by Le_Combattant »

Hey fox,

Next year, I will shceduled full maintenance on the front axle of my 6C.
10 year, original arms and bushing.

My original plan was to change only the bushing of lower arms, cheaper alternative,but, I don't know what kind of tools will be needed.
There is tone of china product and called "universal".

Lemforder seems the official brand of VW lower arm, but not sure at 100%.

Lemforder lower arms:
-37239 01
-37238 01

Meyle HD lower arms:
-116 050 0103/HD
-116 050 0104/HD
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Re: Meyle HD vs Lemforder

Post by 2226 »

Get the Meyle HD with the solid mounts.
I have torn stock mounts. Managed to get some Meyle HD bushings sent out from the UK.
Just need to find the cash for the bushing tool kit. (The amount of jobs queueing up that need tools seems to be getting longer :roll: )

There are generally 2 kinds of kits that seem will work:

https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afric-2 ... -gpress002
https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afric-u ... -gbushk001

Not entirely sure which is best. And not cheap here but I'll recoup the investment easy enough doing bushings on 2 cars.

From measurements and input from others you need a push sleeve with 58mm outer diameter and receiving sleeve of no less than 66mm.

Of course you can do the bushings with other tools like pipes, washers, big sockets, but a dedicated tool is always nice and convenient:

viewtopic.php?p=595108#p595108

Otherwise get the full control arm and save some effort. I'd get the Meyle HD arms that have the solid bushing.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:14 pm Get the Meyle HD with the solid mounts.
I have torn stock mounts. Managed to get some Meyle HD bushings sent out from the UK.
Just need to find the cash for the bushing tool kit. (The amount of jobs queueing up that need tools seems to be getting longer :roll: )

There are generally 2 kinds of kits that seem will work:

https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afric-2 ... -gpress002
https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afric-u ... -gbushk001

Not entirely sure which is best. And not cheap here but I'll recoup the investment easy enough doing bushings on 2 cars.

From measurements and input from others you need a push sleeve with 58mm outer diameter and receiving sleeve of no less than 66mm.

Of course you can do the bushings with other tools like pipes, washers, big sockets, but a dedicated tool is always nice and convenient:

viewtopic.php?p=595108#p595108

Otherwise get the full control arm and save some effort. I'd get the Meyle HD arms that have the solid bushing.
I suppose you mean, this one ?

Because for the ball joint, seems to be normal Meyle and I heard pros and lot of cons about HD series of Meyle.
However, for Lemforder, quality seems to be quite regular.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Yes, that one.
Also heard pros and cons, but the pros outweight the cons for me.
Well, I hope they do. Still have to fit this set.

I don't get Lemforder here, but never heard anything bad about the brand on here.
I just don't want to go with voided bushings this time.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:58 pm Yes, that one.
Also heard pros and cons, but the pros outweight the cons for me.
Well, I hope they do. Still have to fit this set.

I don't get Lemforder here, but never heard anything bad about the brand on here.
I just don't want to go with voided bushings this time.
Yup prons seems to be more important, but in meley ball have a weakpoint in their design.
Because my car is now 9 and next year 10 years old and 15000+km, I would like to see if my silent bloc are in good condition.

If it's the case, and considering the fact my car is lowered -30mm, I will maybe stick with Lemforder. In the other case, let's go for Meyle HD. I already install the anti roll bar link. Nice quality and far better than VW factory.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Which ARB links did you get?
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:17 pm Which ARB links did you get?
This model: https://www.auto-doc.fr/meyle/2118450
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Awesome. I might look into getting those when the time comes.
Still running the stock ARB bushings with these?
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:18 pm Awesome. I might look into getting those when the time comes.
Still running the stock ARB bushings with these?
Yup, since factory, plus lowered the car.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

As far as I "know" all cars that come built a factory with lowered suspension, like GTI etc, have a slightly shorter lower arm/track control arm, by having that, the camber remains correct with shorter road springs fitted, that is why, for anyone with normal suspension, replacing the front lower arms with GTI/Cupra versions of these arms so that they can end up with solid rear mountings, will end up with wrong camber settings. So, it follows that the only way that someone with a normal height suspension can gain the benefit of having solid rear mounting bushes, is to retro fit them to their original or new correct slightly longer, lower arms/track control arms.

Edit:- that posting is just something to be aware of, nothing more.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Really?
I just don't see VW doing that since they're cheapskates. :D

ETKA lists different pages for the GTI than the rest, but look at the part numbers.
The control arms are the same.
The balljoints might be ideal spot to do such a small change, but those are also identical part numbers.

The only differences that stand out are in the applicable bearing/hub carriers and the rollbar and its clamps.
That and the list for shock absorber options. Which is probably why there are separate pages.

The bearing/hub carrier not only holds different brake options, but it's shape (width and height) could locate the wheel at a different spot while keeping the lower end of the shock at the same location so as to not add unnecessary constant stress to something like the strut mount above.

GTI owners report the inside edge of the tyre being worn out first. 10mm drop.
My Cross Polo eats the outside edge first. 15mm lift.
That's pointing to non-adjustable camber all running on same running gear save spring and shock. I pretty much have the GTI carrier on my Cross Polo.

Maybe they are compensating for this using the carrier, but I do not see different length control arms in use.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

So that means that VW Group did make a change in this area from the original 9N Polos/Fabia/Ibiza, I seem to remember this being discussed while the earlier models were current. Using different lengths of lower arms seemed an easy way to keep the camber "okay" for differing standard road spring lengths, but I must admit that while I knew this was the case with the earlier cars, I just assumed that it was still done that way, having never looked deeply into the actual part numbers.

Edit:- it certainly sounds a very cheap thing to do with Cross Polo if the longer springs cause excess wear to the other edges of the front tyres.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

2226 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:18 pm GTI owners report the inside edge of the tyre being worn out first. 10mm drop.
+1 for the inside edge wearing more.

I'm still waiting to see what effect the solid rubber Cupra LCA bushes may have on tyre wear. They're also Lemforder arms, so far so good.

Thread regarding LCA options:
https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=77980
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Cut the ends, tap them, bit of pipe, tap the inside of pipe. few nuts and you have adjustable ones. On just take spherical bushings.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:02 pm So that means that VW Group did make a change in this area from the original 9N Polos/Fabia/Ibiza, I seem to remember this being discussed while the earlier models were current. Using different lengths of lower arms seemed an easy way to keep the camber "okay" for differing standard road spring lengths, but I must admit that while I knew this was the case with the earlier cars, I just assumed that it was still done that way, having never looked deeply into the actual part numbers.

Edit:- it certainly sounds a very cheap thing to do with Cross Polo if the longer springs cause excess wear to the other edges of the front tyres.
I still think the 9N was a better Polo for messing with. :)

Yes, cheap thing to do. That's how things go these days.