Changing spark plugs for first time in 1.2 TSI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
KTpolo
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI

Changing spark plugs for first time in 1.2 TSI

Post by KTpolo »

I think my 2014 Polo 1.2 TSI (82,000 miles) needs new spark plugs. Partly it's because I don't think I'm getting sufficient mpg for this spec (see my other thread on this) and partly because I can't see any sign of plugs ever being changed in its service history.

Thing is that I haven't changed spark plugs in a very long time. I've had diesels since 2013 and the most recent petrol cars I had before then had long-life plugs. The last time I changed my own plugs was in the days when you just pulled off the HT leads, unscrewed the plugs with a wrench, gapped the new ones, then screwed the new ones in and replaced the HT leads.

It seems a more convoluted procedure now with having to remove the air ducting, remove the coil packs etc. But I'd still rather do it myself than take it to a garage as the old plugs will tell a tale in themselves.

I've read other threads on this and see that a lot of people here use custom tools to remove the ducting and the coil packs. Any particular ones that people would recommend?

Also, which specific plugs do people find are best in practice? A lot of people use a rule of thumb of Bosch for German cars and NGK for Japanese cars but I gather that the OEM plugs for the Polo are VW-badged NGK ones? Also, do they come pre-gapped for VW cars or do I need to set those as well?
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Re: Changing spark plugs for first time in 1.2 TSI

Post by Le_Combattant »

KTpolo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:50 am I think my 2014 Polo 1.2 TSI (82,000 miles) needs new spark plugs. Partly it's because I don't think I'm getting sufficient mpg for this spec (see my other thread on this) and partly because I can't see any sign of plugs ever being changed in its service history.

Thing is that I haven't changed spark plugs in a very long time. I've had diesels since 2013 and the most recent petrol cars I had before then had long-life plugs. The last time I changed my own plugs was in the days when you just pulled off the HT leads, unscrewed the plugs with a wrench, gapped the new ones, then screwed the new ones in and replaced the HT leads.

It seems a more convoluted procedure now with having to remove the air ducting, remove the coil packs etc. But I'd still rather do it myself than take it to a garage as the old plugs will tell a tale in themselves.

I've read other threads on this and see that a lot of people here use custom tools to remove the ducting and the coil packs. Any particular ones that people would recommend?

Also, which specific plugs do people find are best in practice? A lot of people use a rule of thumb of Bosch for German cars and NGK for Japanese cars but I gather that the OEM plugs for the Polo are VW-badged NGK ones? Also, do they come pre-gapped for VW cars or do I need to set those as well?
For spark plug, you can go to the dealer. With your VIN you can be sure to have the right product.
And because it's a common engine, you can be sure to have immediatly spark plug.
And they are already put at the right gap.

NGK is the official supplier for the 1.2 TSI engine spark plug.

To remove coil pack, do it when engine is hot. Otherwise, rubber will stick to the end of the spark plug and the lower part of the coil igniter will stay in the hole.

This is the special tool to remove coil pack.
BGS one, found on eBay:
kq6q.jpg
kq6q.jpg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 735 times
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Tools worth having for this job:
- the special coil remove tool. Can do it by hand if they're not stuck, but it's worth it to have and not need than to need and not have.
- long socket spark plug, but a regular 16mm plug socket will do. Try and get a magnetic one.
- hose clamp pliers. No more fumbling with channel locks! :)
- silicone paste or plug boot lube

I was lucky and didn't need coil removal tool this time. Just used cable ties.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BGS-9094-Ignit ... B075DMDLRS

There are others, but not sure on quality. BGS seem to have a proper one.

Long socket is something like this which cost me around 18 euro here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-3682-Mag ... B003724HUM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BGS-Socket-ret ... B004VRN3V6

Hose clamp pliers, just cheap ones like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOTSUN-Flexibl ... B0C3CZM13T
https://www.amazon.co.uk/QWORK-Straight ... B08VRMSXBX

Just an Amazon find. They're all similar. I bought Chinese sourced versions here. Works fine.

The cable one is for the clamp at the turbo side.

The rest is as stated. NGK PZKER7B8EGS or get from dealership. No re-gap needed.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

You will also need a torque wrench to apply the correct torque.
I bought this one and I didn't remember that I had it on one of the shelves in the storage room. :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VANPO-Motorcyc ... r=1-9&th=1

Image that I posted some time ago in another thread:
Good box, magnetic sockets for 14 and 16 mm spark plugs and wide adaptability.
Of the four dynamometers/torque wrenches I have -different scales- this is the most accurate (digitally verified), the least accurate is the best brand.😄

I also have a very long articulated T-wrench (BGS, I think), although the socket wrench holds the spark plugs with an inner rubber, it also works like a charm.
and others that are included in other boxes (mannesmann, etc).🤷‍♂️
R826583
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Polo 66TSI Trendline

Post by R826583 »

I recently did the spark plugs on my 2016 1.2L TSI Polo. I’ll drop the link to my post where I asked lots of questions about the process :lol: It may be of use to you in case you haven’t seen it already: viewtopic.php?t=78888