POLO 6C PDC PARKING SENSOR RETROFIT

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mubmoh
New
Drives: 6C 2014

POLO 6C PDC PARKING SENSOR RETROFIT

Post by mubmoh »

Hi,

Parking sensor retrofit here. I know there's a tonne of threads available, but didn't find an answer I was looking for. I do not have reverse sensors.

I'm trying to get the job done using 2nd hand OEM from scrap cars, parts look affordable and it looks like I could purchase front/back sensor loom, control unit for parking aid (one in boot), buzzers, and parking sensor switch. I've stripped entire dashes before so I'm not shy of removing trims, here are my following questions:

1. The front sensor loom connects to the 'Central wiring set' in the OEM set up. Will I have a spare 6 pin in put there for where these sensors are supposed to connect? I've stripped vehicles before and found these unattached connections. I've checked ETKA and cannot tell whether my vehicle is fitted or not with this wiring set, three sets appear and all have label 4H0973713 'Flat contact housing with contact locking mechanism Parking aid Lambda probe', other will have further features such as "treble speakers", "push button for parking aid". Am I right to assume my vehicle will have a front sensor connecting point?

2. Now for the interior dash I have seen loose connection for unspecced options before in other vehicles, however am in the case of Polo this would not be the case? I will not have a convenient pdc plug waiting for me near my hazards?

3. For the rear bumper, I plug the connection into the control unit. Will there be a connection? waiting for to connect the PDC into the vehicles canbus or is this something I would have to retrofit? Is there an OEM solution for this, or will you have to just find a way to 'tap in'?

Many thanks for sharing the knowledge
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: POLO 6C PDC PARKING SENSOR RETROFIT

Post by iichel »

I feel like all your questions van be answered with 'you wil have to install every wire yourself'. There is nothing installed up front
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

If you want to have a fun time:
- viewtopic.php?p=533766#p533766 + next 10 or 12 pages until the final result.

It's not a tutorial, it's some of the retrofitting I did on my 6R when I was a little kid, unfortunately I evolved 🐵 and now I'm an old kid.🤷‍♂️
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Have you checked to see what companies like Kufatec offer - maybe you can glean info from how they are describing their offerings, I'm suggesting that as I added front PDC to my 2011 Audi S4 and bought the relevant cables from Kufatec, then all the other genuine parts via ebay, some used, the sensors were all NOS, and I only needed to buy a few small bits from VW dealership.

The Kuatec cables were not perfect, so needed slight modifications - like chopping up the front bumper cableform and "adjusting" the lengths of cabling to each sensor, and replacing their 10-way front connector for the 6-way VW Group tends to use.

I've checked their website and you can still buy the complete kits, and individual cables, they might look expensive, but once you have paid for these cables, and downloaded the "instruction manuals", you will be a lot closer to achieving what you are aiming for. Of course there will be some re-coding of the car's controllers to enable it all to work - as well as maybe altering cable lengths to suit your car!

There is/was another retro fit bits/kits based in Poland that also provided their own solution based on using VW Group hardware.
mubmoh
New

Post by mubmoh »

iichel wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:03 am I feel like all your questions van be answered with 'you wil have to install every wire yourself'. There is nothing installed up front
Thanks! No issues, just trying to label down which parts I need to purchase myself.

ciclo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:12 am If you want to have a fun time:
- viewtopic.php?p=533766#p533766 + next 10 or 12 pages until the final result.

It's not a tutorial, it's some of the retrofitting I did on my 6R when I was a little kid, unfortunately I evolved 🐵 and now I'm an old kid.🤷‍♂️
Had a quick skim, looks like a great read up. Will have a look, thanks for sharing!

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:26 am Have you checked to see what companies like Kufatec offer - maybe you can glean info from how they are describing their offerings, I'm suggesting that as I added front PDC to my 2011 Audi S4 and bought the relevant cables from Kufatec, then all the other genuine parts via ebay, some used, the sensors were all NOS, and I only needed to buy a few small bits from VW dealership.

The Kuatec cables were not perfect, so needed slight modifications - like chopping up the front bumper cableform and "adjusting" the lengths of cabling to each sensor, and replacing their 10-way front connector for the 6-way VW Group tends to use.

I've checked their website and you can still buy the complete kits, and individual cables, they might look expensive, but once you have paid for these cables, and downloaded the "instruction manuals", you will be a lot closer to achieving what you are aiming for. Of course there will be some re-coding of the car's controllers to enable it all to work - as well as maybe altering cable lengths to suit your car!

There is/was another retro fit bits/kits based in Poland that also provided their own solution based on using VW Group hardware.

Yep this seems the way to go, buy official VW parts and try to source a working loom elsewhere! Thanks for sharing.
mubmoh
New

Post by mubmoh »

Not meaning to sound cheap with this suggest (well it is!).

The front sensor looms are looking £100ish on ebay while rear are around £40. I am eyeballing the looms as much as I can through images and I can't spot a difference between the rear or front sensor cables.

The front cables from images have 6 wires total. Each sensor end contains 1 unique wire, 1 earth, 1 power. Hence there's a total of 6 wires into the 6 connector (1x4 unique, 1 earth, 1 power). I have attached an image.

The rear loom is playing the exact same game. 3 wires into each sensor then 6 into the plug. The only differences I've noticed are there rears are wrapped in plastic and the front in loom tape. I could just remove the plastic and tape it up and get going surely.

Only concern I have is that the loom could be a dodgy length or be short, can anyone comment if there is a drastic length/spacing difference?
Attachments
rear sensor.jpeg
rear sensor.jpeg (106.23 KiB) Viewed 723 times
front sensor.png
front sensor.png (2.72 MiB) Viewed 723 times
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

biggest problem with that is that the front loom enters the bumper in the left front corner and the rear loom enters the bumper in the middle. otherwise you can probably convert a front loom to a rear loom no problem.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Keeping with "keeping it cheap", back in 2015 or 2016, I used up over £400 to add front PDC to my 2011 Audi S4, and the cost difference between doing it to that car and your Polo will be nominal/minimal, so if you get all this completed and use up less than £650, then I think, that you will be "lucky" - I'm just pointing this out in case you are underestimating what the total spend will be by the end - and that will include any tools and materials that you need to buy to make cable forms, modify cable forms and prepare the bumpers for accepting the sensors - oh, and painting the sensors to match the car.

I was okay with the money that I spent to get front PDC on my Audi S4, just because I wanted to end up with that to compliment the rear PDC, hopefully you will also be okay with spending this money to get front and rear PDC on your car.