Pauls Polo 6R Trendline conversion road to OEM++

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Paulpelz
New
Drives: Polo 6R 2012 Style 1.2

Pauls Polo 6R Trendline conversion road to OEM++

Post by Paulpelz »

Hi guys and a warm welcome back to me on the forum!

After my last hell of a conversion integrating a electromechanical steering column in my poor litte polo, I took a little break from tinkering.
Just a small reminder on what I already did to my car (in no special order):
- BCM swap
- Discover Media PQ with DAB+
- Soundsystem (mix of Dynaudio and Beats parts)
- Wireless Charging Pad
- 6C Buttons
- Heated Tiguan steering wheel with GRA controls
- Electromechanical Power Steering
- ESP 9.0i swap
- FLA High beam assist
- Black Interior parts
- Climatronic retrofit
- Automatic Headlights with coming/leaving home
- OEM 6C LED headlights retrofit
- GTIish Instrument cluster (lower half from a Seat Toledo, beautifully botched into a modified 6C case)
- MQB style stalks

And all of that for a whimpy 60 bhp CGPB Polo. Well, that's about to change, too. Because my Polo decided that mid-winter was the perfect time to lengthen its timing chain into an unusable length. So I am doing the only sensible thing and I'm gonna throw an 140 bhp CPTA engine in it. With Start-Stop, cylinder deactivation, variable valve timing and everything.
Yes, I am an idiot, I know that.
Most of the parts are already here and the more or less only thing left is awful... sorry: the wiring. I will quite certainly need your help, mostly to double check if what I am planning isn't goint to blow up expensive control units.

So for starters, here is my first question: The "voltage stabilizer 2" J570 is only needed for ESP 8.2i systems, but not if I have an ESP 9.0i system, right? Or rather: If I need a J570, how do I wire it into the ESP unit?
Also: Does one of you have a LHD Polo 6R BlueGT with a manual transmission, who could help me out with some photos of weird things like the start-stop button wiring or the relais carrier?

Thanks in advance!
Paul :D
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Pauls Polo 6R Trendline conversion road to OEM++

Post by iichel »

the voltage stabiliser is present on most cars with a start/stop system. you can see it in the wiring schemes for i.e. the CPTA engine
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Hi Paul, a greatly improved 6R. 8)
I suppose you will have really enjoyed it... and what is to come.

It is always difficult to find certain images on models like the 6R, taking photos of such specific parts at the time of the 6R was not very widespread.
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

iichel wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:26 pm the voltage stabiliser is present on most cars with a start/stop system. you can see it in the wiring schemes for i.e. the CPTA engine
Well, the wiring scheme for the CPTA is kind of crap. For example the wiring for the start-stop-button is just plainly wrong.
Also there is no trace of any voltage stabilizers, neither J532, nor J570. Also, the battery control unit J367 is completely missing from the diagram even though CPTA cars definitely have it.

In the meantime i could find out that at least J532 is present in CPTA Polos, but with the J570 I am unsure...
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

ciclo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:43 am It is always difficult to find certain images on models like the 6R, taking photos of such specific parts at the time of the 6R was not very widespread.
Yes, there are basically no photos at all. Hence why I decided to drive to a dealership that has a Blue GT for sale at the moment. Wish me luck they let me take a look at it :wink:
iichel

Post by iichel »

If allowed, make a full scan of the car too, vcds autoscan and adapmap. Never hurts to have them available.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

J570 Voltage stabilizer 2 is shown in the diagrams:
- Anti-lock brake system (ABS) with electronic stabilization program (ESP), (7L6),(7L8)
From May 2012

J532 Voltage stabilizer and J367 Battery monitor control unit are included in the diagrams:
- Basic equipment, (7L6),(7L8)
From May 2012

For E693 Start/Stop operation button, the diagrams for...
- 1.4l petrol engine with start/stop system CPTA.
From May 2012

... say that the connector is a T10 when in reality it is a T9.

As far as I know, all 6R BlueGT have ESP9.0i.
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

ciclo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:02 am J570 Voltage stabilizer 2 is shown in the diagrams:
- Anti-lock brake system (ABS) with electronic stabilization program (ESP), (7L6),(7L8)
From May 2012
Yes, I saw that. But as far as I know they built ESP 9.0i only from November 2012. Also the pinout in the diagram you mentioned looks very much like the ESP 8.2i pinout. Since they are quite different I can't just put the wires in the pins for ESP8.2i. CNK did a comparison between the pinouts on his Blog and even though he made some mistakes there, I can't find the J570 in the ESp9.0i pinout.
https://polo.blue/swapping-esp-bosch-8- ... -esp-9-0i/
So my guess would be that they built it into the ESP module.
ciclo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:02 am J532 Voltage stabilizer and J367 Battery monitor control unit are included in the diagrams:
- Basic equipment, (7L6),(7L8)
From May 2012
Thanks, I assumed I had to use this diagram. Just weird, that they didn't include any signs of it into the CPTA wiring diagram, since they did on other engines and they show all the other required bits, like the battery itself.
ciclo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:02 am For E693 Start/Stop operation button, the diagrams for...
- 1.4l petrol engine with start/stop system CPTA.
From May 2012

... say that the connector is a T10 when in reality it is a T9.
In reality it should be a T6, and also the used pins don't line up with the pins all the other start-stop-engines use for the T6. I mean since it only really concerns the two wires from the ecu (all the others I could look up in the diagrams for the other start-stop-engies) I could just take a 50/50 guess but when I am wrong I am afraid I could do some damage to the ECU... and those are rare.
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

Well, that was a fail.
Because... being helpful would be boring and here in Germany unwritten rules are apparently carved in stone, it was completely impossible to take a look at the car. Not even the relais carrier. Nothing. :x

So I just wasted several hours and archied exactly nothing. Great.

I'll try to come up with a new plan.
iichel

Post by iichel »

ask for a test drive
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

I asked, but no. I assume because I was there just 1h before closing time.
And now I am grumpy about them so I won't go back :lol:
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

In '2013' I used that E693 Start/Stop button to operate the garage door open/close on my 6R without S/S system.

:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHEHcSkZWh4&t=105s :lol:

The erWin diagrams for the 6R were always incomplete, including the last download a few weeks/month ago.
It has been a great struggle these past years, it was impossible to answer many questions without having images or having the parts in hand.
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

I spent a litte more time thinking about the s/s wiring, here are my thoughts:

This is the ErWin wiring diagram I have for the CPTA engine (which is wrong concerning E693 and K259):
Screenshot 2024-01-16 212137.png
Screenshot 2024-01-16 212137.png (61.57 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
And this is a J693 wiring from a random other engine:
Screenshot 2024-01-16 212451.png
Screenshot 2024-01-16 212451.png (147.25 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
I assume one of the two wires from/to the CPTA ECU is for the yellow LED. The ECU should be switching that wire to ground to turn the LED on, since T6at/2 is connected to A140, which is + voltage (ASR = +12V)
So the other one is the input from the "switch". When pressed, the input into the ECU should also be the same +12 Volt, since T6at/4 is also connected to A140.

Given I connect the two wires the wrong way round, the yellow LED should light continuously and pressing the botton would do nothing. There would not be any reverse polarity or unproteced/unloaded circuits which may result in killing the ECU.
If I want to be extra safe, I could connect one of the two wires into T6at/1 and turn the iginition on. If the yello LED stays off: Great, I can put the other wire into T6at/5. If it lights up: I shall put the wire into T6at/5 and the other one into T6at/1

Sorry, I hope that is understandable. :D
iichel

Post by iichel »

just try, it will not kill anything if reversed. if it doesn't work, reverse it. or try the 6c0 diagram for the 150hp engine. hardware of the button and ECU is the same.
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

ciclo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:08 pm In '2013' I used that E693 Start/Stop button to operate the garage door open/close on my 6R without S/S system.
By the way, I always thought that was a very cool implementation for that button :thumbsup: