New pads and discs not sitting flush?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TezzL0
New
Drives: 6C GTI

New pads and discs not sitting flush?

Post by TezzL0 »

Hello. I had EBC Grooved discs and Yellowstuff pads fitted all around this week. I've done 30ish miles on them and I have noticed the inside of both front discs look differently worn compared to the rest of the disc. I also noticed it doesn't look like the pads are sitting completely flush with the discs, I'm not sure if this is normal or not. The brakes feel fine, although I am going easy on them. I will bed them in properly after 100 miles or so but I'm worried the garage didn't install them correctly. Any advice will be appreciated.
disc2.jpg
disc2.jpg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 728 times
disc.jpg
disc.jpg (130.65 KiB) Viewed 728 times
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: New pads and discs not sitting flush?

Post by iichel »

That's normal with new pads and used rotors
TezzL0
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Post by TezzL0 »

iichel wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:15 pm That's normal with new pads and used rotors
The rotors are brand new along with the pads
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I see. I wouldn't worry about it too much after 30 miles. Keep an eye on it for a while.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

FYI

https://ebcbrakes.com/race-motorsport-a ... edding-in/

EBC Yellowstuff Bed-in Procedure
Fast Street use Pre Bed Fade 1 – drive 50 to 100 miles on Public road/highway normal driving to allow the pads to mate up to the disc and establish full contact followed by 8 stops from 80 mph to 30 mph at 300-yard intervals and then coasting allowing the brakes to cool.

The couple of times I've fit bluestuff to a friend's ST he just did a full tank of fuel worth of distance with minimal motorway driving before doing fade 1 bedding. Equated to around 300 miles~ but as they drive a lot that only took a week. Perfect pad to disc contact every time.

Do the 100 miles quoted by EBC and inspect. Try and avoid motorways or long stretches without using the brakes for those 100 miles.

To do fade 1 bedding either find a relatively flat national limit stretch of road where you know you can do your 8 stops without having to stop completely or a stretch of road again preferably with a national limit with a roundabout at each end like a dual carriageway or a motorway junction/spur. The benefit of the latter is once you're done you can hop on the motorway and drive for a while without using the brakes to cool them.

Ideally do it at a quieter time so no one can interrupt your bedding in and there will also be fewer people to think you're a lunatic :D 70-20mph stops work completely fine but still use your head and don't do it somewhere the police are likely to be or where you braking down to 20mph suddenly will put anyone else in danger.

The brakes will get hot and will smell quite bad, that's perfectly normal. If you didn't I'd recommend getting fluid changed or even better upgraded to match the increase in temps the pads can take.

ATE TYP200 is a good choice, while not the highest temp brake fluid out there, it's an increase over stock and only a little more expensive. I've never managed to get it to boil :lol:
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

I've found its a good practice to clean the carriers where the pad slides with a file ( just file down the rust layer), the steel brush never cleans it properly it just shines up the rust layer.
And to make sure the pad slides freely withouth sticking in the carrier