MK11 Polo R-Line buzzing noise

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
yahya
New
Drives: MK11 2023 Polo R-Line

MK11 Polo R-Line buzzing noise

Post by yahya »

Been having a constant buzzing noise coming from the radiator area near the drivers pillar ever since i've bought the car. At speeds over 40 MPH the buzzing noise is less noticeable and goes somtimes. However at 20-30 MPH the buzzing noise is noticeable and have no idea how to fix it. It occurs when the air con is on and off. VW Dealer is saying it's normal but it really isnt. Any ideas? https://youtube.com/shorts/EfW2nXYLWVI?feature=share <<Video here
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Re: MK11 Polo R-Line buzzing noise

Post by MikeDO »

My car is not an R-Line... but that noise doesn't sound right to me. My GTI certainly doesn't do it. My car is remarkably irritating noise free to be honest.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

It’s not normal; IMHO the dealer’s talking rubbish. In an ideal world, a new car should be free of creaks, rattles and vibrations, but bear in mind that during the colder winter months, there’ll be less natural flex in the interior trim - especially when much of the trim is hard plastic as it is in the Polo, so unfortunately there is an increased chance of unwanted interior trim-related noises.

In your case, it seems the dealer clearly doesn’t want to investigate and fix an issue that they probably consider to be a hassle to do - tracking down the precise source of the noise, removing interior trim adding sound deadening soft tape and / or new trim clips, reassembly of trim, road testing to check if noise has been eliminated and if not, repeat the process over again. You could try a different dealer (you don’t have to use the dealer you bought the car from for warranty work).

From what I’ve read on VW forums over the years, you should be aware that it’s not unknown for dealers to damage interior trim when removing it to investigate / fix issues such as this, and then deny they’ve caused the damage. Some owners have also ended up with additional unwanted noises when trim pieces haven’t been re-fitted correctly. So there are risks in getting these types of issue rectified. Therefore, if you do get your dealer - or another VW dealer - to sort this for you, get them to agree the condition of your interior trim before they start work, as some interior trim can be expensive to replace if it gets damaged / broken and you’re faced with the prospect of having to pay for replacement trim pieces.
yahya
New
Drives: MK11 2023 Polo R-Line

Post by yahya »

I agree, however this isn't a trim noise as it's coming directly from the right drivers side vent. Could be an easy fix but VW did tell me to come back if the noise is loud. Only problem is it's loud on some occasions so by the time I get there the noise could be gone temporarily..
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I have worked as an engineer in many service industries inc motor vehicles.. intermittent faults are the bane of the garage and the owner..

all the best with your fix...