Both front wheel bearings?!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
chevmat08
New
Drives: 2004 9n 1.9tdi

Both front wheel bearings?!

Post by chevmat08 »

Okay so bear with me on this one, 130k 1.9tdi pd100. I've got most of a fish, fairly well maintained before I got it and I've done my best to keep it up.

my passenger front makes a wubwubwubwub noise (speeds up and down relatively to the speed of the vehicle not revs).

I'd been trying to figure out what was causing this and the bearing has no play and no apparent issue according to mechanic who did mot. I've changed the tie rod ends, anti roll bar links and bushes. The front rotors and pads last year. No clue kcs or bangs on full lock back or forward (no clicking either).

I've now got the age old sign of knackered bearing on the front right (drivers side). Again no play but roaring that's relative to vehicle speed (not revs, in and out of gear). Same as above.

Now the tyres were being scrubbed but this was down to a knackered bush on the anti roll bar (since changed them- the bar had some movement if you pulledit it side to side, it was terrible)

Now I have both ball joints but again theyve been suggested as being A-OK by mechanic, no damage or signs of wear apparent. No play in the wheel hub. I want to just change them both but I'd need a VW bearing puller tool (so do I just eat the cost and buy it or pay garage to swap?)

I mean what are the chances they both go, but oddly different, around the same mileage?
chevmat08
New

Re: Both front wheel bearings?!

Post by chevmat08 »

Right so the wubbwubb noise was the disc not sitting flush so it was warping the face and catching the dust shield on turning. Screw for the new disc was ever so slightly longer so old corroded threads bottomed out the screw (caused the issue, cleaned and it's all good now)

ANYONE KNOW THE SIZE OF THE FACE FOR THE BEARING Tool? trying to order one but can't figure it out at all (63-72mm seems to be the range)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I replaced the front bearing on my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, and the tool that I bought was for 72mm bearings.

Now, before I bought this tool, this 2015 VW Polo was NOT included as being a car that it could be used on, but, I looked into what sizes the bearings were for that car, and they turned out to be 72mm, well the suitable aftermarket bearings from SKF and FAG, so I just went ahead and bought the tool, using it was a piece of cake, lots of worrying but it all went well.

So, maybe search for suppliers of aftermarket bearings for your model of Polo, and the bearing size will get revealed.

After you buy the tool, maybe make sure that the "flat" or machined off sector/section has been cut down far enough so as to avoid contacting the ABS sensors - I only did that after replacing the LHS bearing assembly and got off without damaging that ABS sensor, unfortunately probably because the RHS hub was more rusted up, even although I had ground down the "flat" more than it was originally, the RHS ABS sensor "leg" got tilted over, and so that meant that the moulding got cracked - so I replaced that ABS sensor.

So, my tip is, really really do chip away and clean up the hubs BEFORE using that bearing tool, lots of YouTube videos show people removing the ABS sensors before working on the bearings, and doing that always looks easy, in my experience it is not easy to get these front ABS sensors out intact - in fact many people have found that VW, at least, do not encourage the mechanics to waste time trying to get them out - just replace them, which could be a bit annoying as VW Group charge over £90 each for them, I ended up buying a replacement sensor from ECP as they were cheaper than VW dealership, and they had them in stock, VW dealership would have taken 2 days to get one for me.

It was the wah-wah noises that that Polo ended up with and as usual no other clues as to which side it was, so I just replaced both sides using FAG bearings from Autodoc. The original bearings were SNR France!
chevmat08
New

Post by chevmat08 »

Super helpful thanks. Id read before to just take the abs sensor out anyway. I have tidied the hubs up before when doing the brakes last year (bit of a scrub) but of course not with this in mind so I'd wager they still need a good brush down.

I'll look up the aftermarkets now