Oil change schedule

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Oil change schedule

Post by PoloGTInoob »

hi guys

on my Polo GTI+, the infotainment system tells me when im due an oil change. It will say "XX days or XX miles"

Is this a smart estimate based on usage of the car ie. revs, load, temps etc or is dumb ie. based on time and mileage?

I havent yet taken the time to see if the due time changes in line with the calendar days / mileage i do :D

Cheers
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Re: Oil change schedule

Post by grazuncle2 »

it depends .. as usual.

My Polo was shipped with long service interval (according to the plate by drivers door (can't think offhand what the codes is and working presently)

VW in UK, (in their wisdom?) decided to change it to yearly/10,000 miles.

I use an indy now and they read the plate and reset it to long service and put in the appropriate oil etc.. When i get the chance i'll look it up on the plate.. but it still depends if it has been overridden.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

The long life schedule which says you can drive up to a maximum of 2 years / 19600 miles is the one which takes into account your driving styles, engine loads, temperature and other parameters to continuously monitor the oil quality and adjust the schedule as appropriate. The yearly option will not take into account your engines driving history and it will just notify you when you reach the 10000 mile interval or the year whichever comes first. I always change my oil every 10,000 just for peace of mind, especially how these small engines with turbos and high horsepower are much more strained than the typical engine.
CricketLover
New
Drives: Polo gti Facelift. March 2023

Post by CricketLover »

Interesting thread.
My gti polo was registered March 2023 and I purchased a service plan which covers two services (I hope!). Currently about 5000 miles on the clock. I was expecting annual services when I drove out of the showroom, but notice the info system is saying oil change service in 13,700 miles or 416 days. So I guess I am on long service intervals? If this is the case I assume my service plan will last for four years? I might phone the dealer towards the end of March to see what they say.

I anticipate doing more mileage from around July this year.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

CricketLover wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:55 pm Interesting thread.
My gti polo was registered March 2023 and I purchased a service plan which covers two services (I hope!). Currently about 5000 miles on the clock. I was expecting annual services when I drove out of the showroom, but notice the info system is saying oil change service in 13,700 miles or 416 days. So I guess I am on long service intervals? If this is the case I assume my service plan will last for four years? I might phone the dealer towards the end of March to see what they say.

I anticipate doing more mileage from around July this year.
It used to be a requirement of VW’s service plans that the service regime was set to fixed interval (annnual time and distance) servicing - maybe that’s changed now. Flexible / long life servicing regime is the default from the factory.

I’m a low mileage driver (4.5 - 5k miles per year) so I go with annual servicing as per VW’s recommendation - see link below. I know oil technology has advanced over the years but I wouldn’t want my car to go up to two years without having the oil changed. A trip to the dealership once a year also means the car is (hopefully) checked over annually, so if there’s anything amiss it can be spotted and put right early, rather than develop into a potentially expensive problem.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... dules.html