Rear Axle beam has snapped

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
NordSteve
New
Drives: 9n3 1.2

Rear Axle beam has snapped

Post by NordSteve »

Donated my old 2009 9n3 to my sister last year and the rear coil cup has snapped off!

Shame really as the car has only done 40k.

Spring is now off the car so I’ll have to tackle it on the driveway.

I’m assuming a used beam will have to be sourced, and I’m wondering which cars will qualify as an appropriate donor? Years and models much appreciated.

Drum brakes by the way.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Rear Axle beam has snapped

Post by RUM4MO »

I would have thought that a proper blacksmith/metal fabricator could sort that out quite easily.
NordSteve
New

Post by NordSteve »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:29 pm I would have thought that a proper blacksmith/metal fabricator could sort that out quite easily.
That would be ideal, of course, but with the amount of corrosion and the fact it will have a giant spring under compression to support, I’m not sure. I wonder if it would even pass an MOT afterwards?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, your probably correct to source a cleaner one, rear brake type version would be easiest.

Maybe do a bit of homework across the Skoda Fabia, SEAT Ibiza and VW Polo cars using this online parts cat:- https://ifinterface.com/page/page3.php?langid=2
It is free to use and seems to hand over good parts numbers.
NordSteve
New

Post by NordSteve »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:20 pm Yes, your probably correct to source a cleaner one, rear brake type version would be easiest.

Maybe do a bit of homework across the Skoda Fabia, SEAT Ibiza and VW Polo cars using this online parts cat:- https://ifinterface.com/page/page3.php?langid=2
It is free to use and seems to hand over good parts numbers.
Oh thanks.

I suppose I could fit a disc brake axle but would probably end up needing new discs and pads, plus a recode for ABS.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

NordSteve wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:56 pm Oh thanks.

I suppose I could fit a disc brake axle but would probably end up needing new discs and pads, plus a recode for ABS.
Yes, I like having rear discs as for me they are easier to service, but, and there is a big "but", VW Group always use aluminium alloy callipers for rear "disc brakes with handbrake function" on their small and medium cars, and the lifetime for these callipers before they need "sorting out" seems to be anywhere after 8 years/40K miles.

My today's job on my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, will be to attempt to "sort out" the offside, ie RHS rear calliper as it is dragging a bit and that will be due to the alloy corrosion inside the rubber top cover, causing the piston to remain too far out when the brake fluid pressure has returned to ambient - if that rear calliper has more issues, which I doubt, then it will be easier/quicker just to replace it for roughly £68 (ECP sourced Pagid calliper via Halfords).

So, if you are planning to replace that "drum" rear axle with a "disc" rear axle, check and refurb the callipers before fitting it - a set of piston "score" seals and top covers for 38mm pistons will only cost you £7 for both sides - maybe check that the pistons are 38mm and not smaller first before ordering.