New Polo GTI Query

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ScottyJC
New
Drives: GTI 2023

New Polo GTI Query

Post by ScottyJC »

Hello,

I received my new Polo GTI on Friday and overall i am happy with it

I have a couple of niggles with it though and and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

1. I think this one is a common thing but the soundaktor seems to rattle in normal and sport, (even at lower revs as still running in) i know this has been an issue in this past but is this still a recent issue people have had?
2. How do people find the cabin noise, i am borderline convinced something isnt right as with a passenger in the car at 60-70 mph we almost have to shout to hear each other. It sounds like something towards the back of the car is rubbing or dragging but i wonder if this is just me, I do also get a burning plastic smell when stopping but understand this can be relatively normal with a brand new car.

Do people find the cabin to be quite loud at motorway speeds or is it just me and something i need to get used to?

Thanks
Scott
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: New Polo GTI Query

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar issue with the sound actuator and had it disabled by VW. Others say using Eco mode (under individual profile) also helps.

Wrt cabin noise, no problem my side, even at 160Km/h one does not need to shout in order to hold a conversation.
Last edited by OomStu_ZA on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I have a 2020 pre-facelift GTI+. I dislike the fake engine noise so have had the soundaktor set to ‘Eco’ from day one of owning my car (I use the ‘Individual’ driving profile mode, so I can customise the setting to my preference).

As for excessive cabin noise - like @OomStu_ZA, no problems with my car. What brand of tyres do you have as some brands of tyre are noisier than others (I’ve always found Bridgestones to be quite noisy). It would also be worth checking the fabric wheel arch liners in the rear wheel arches as there’s not that much clearance between the liner and the inner face of the wheel / tyre, so it’s possible the liner might be rubbing against the wheel / tyre if it wasn’t fitted correctly when your car was built.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I had the facelift and both complaints are real. The soundaktor can cause rattles so I used to have it individual mode with engine noise set to eco as SRGTD said in another post.

Now the noise on the motorway was why I got rid of my gti in the end. On my 35-45 minute commute to work alone it was tolerable, but a family trip to Scotland last October left all of us with headache and we couldn’t hear each other - that was on 17” wheels. Had the same issue in both my facelift and pre facelift. Could just be the downside of a small hot hatch with sports suspension and low profile tyres, but may be best to get it checked if it sounds like rubbing. Hopefully they removed the blocks on the car….
funkyg
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by funkyg »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 pm Now the noise on the motorway was why I got rid of my gti in the end. On my 35-45 minute commute to work alone it was tolerable, but a family trip to Scotland last October left all of us with headache and we couldn’t hear each other - that was on 17” wheels.
I’m surprised by that. I have a pre facelift GTI and the sound is fine to me. 17” wheels with Michelin tyres.
Maybe my age is finally catching up with me and I’m losing my hearing! (I do have slight tinnitus)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

I had a gti plus as well prior to the facelift but never took it on any long journeys so couldn’t comment on the difference there. All I know is it was the final nail for the gti as my wife then said we need a new car.

Some days I miss the speed and the fact I owned a gti, but now having actual physical buttons for everything and a smooth ride in my new car I wouldn’t go back. My wife’s r line is much more comfortable than my gti was as well.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:50 am I had a gti plus as well prior to the facelift but never took it on any long journeys so couldn’t comment on the difference there. All I know is it was the final nail for the gti as my wife then said we need a new car.

Some days I miss the speed and the fact I owned a gti, but now having actual physical buttons for everything and a smooth ride in my new car I wouldn’t go back. My wife’s r line is much more comfortable than my gti was as well.
I’ve started doing research into what I’ll eventually replace my GTI+ with - probably won’t be for another 12-18 months, but I like to be prepared! 🤣.

I think I’ve already decided it won’t be another hot hatch or another VW - there’s nothing that VW currently make that would tempt me and IMHO hot hatches seem to be a dying breed; Ford pulled the plug on the Fiesta ST, Hyundai are doing the same with the i20N and i30N and the majority of mainstream car manufacturers don’t have a hot hatch in their model ranges. I’ve also found the opportunity to drive a hot hatch as it’s meant to be driven are few and far between these days - I don’t need hot hatch performance to just go with the flow of other traffic on heavily congested single carriageway A roads. The increasing cost of insurance doesn’t help hot hatch ownership either; I had an email from my current insurer yesterday suggesting this year’s renewal premium might represent a steep increase over what I’m currently paying (mature driver with no claims in the last 22-23 years) - time to shop around again I think………..

Many car manufacturers - including VW - are moving to the agency model, meaning the ability for the customer to negotiate discounts off manufacturer list prices is lost. The result? - customers having to pay more for brand new cars 😡. I’ll be focusing the research on my next car to those car brands that have no plans to move to the agency model 🤔.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/buying-ca ... ean-buyers
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Have to say SRGTD I’m incredibly happy with my Mazda. So far hasn’t put a foot wrong. I had a lot of VWs and there was always something with every car - usually minor and liveable with but sometimes major. Touchwood the Mazda has been bullet proof, everything works well and the fit and finish is lovely. Also very nice having a dial system over touchscreen and actual buttons!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:56 pm Have to say SRGTD I’m incredibly happy with my Mazda. So far hasn’t put a foot wrong. I had a lot of VWs and there was always something with every car - usually minor and liveable with but sometimes major. Touchwood the Mazda has been bullet proof, everything works well and the fit and finish is lovely. Also very nice having a dial system over touchscreen and actual buttons!
Good to hear you’re happy with your Mazda 🙂.

Mazda is on my list as a possible replacement for my GTI+; great build quality and reliability counts for a lot in my book 👍.
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

I briefly had the soundaktor rattle issue on my 2020 gti after the bonnet had been removed to be resprayed. It only happened in sport mode, but I found that simply rubbing the speaker by the windscreen fixed the issue - maybe the speaker was very slightly loose. I use eco mode for engine sound anyway, can't stand the fake drone, prefer to hear only the authentic engine sound.

As for cabin noise, I can't say it's too bad. Just returned from a lengthy trip acrossthe UK and found the gti to be a great cruiser.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:56 pm Have to say SRGTD I’m incredibly happy with my Mazda. So far hasn’t put a foot wrong. I had a lot of VWs and there was always something with every car - usually minor and liveable with but sometimes major. Touchwood the Mazda has been bullet proof, everything works well and the fit and finish is lovely. Also very nice having a dial system over touchscreen and actual buttons!

@lancslad1985 -- I have also been looking at Mazda -- Which one did you go for ? (the CX30?)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

I got the CX30 Homura spec with the sky active X in auto so 8.6s 0-62. Took a bit to get used to as Mazda don’t use turbos, they just use 2L petrol engines. The car is comfortable, quieter than the troc I had in the past, doing 41-42mpg early on in its life and (touchwood) hasn’t put a foot wrong from day one unlike every VW I’ve had where there’s always been at least a little niggle. It’s also quite fun to drive and soft touch materials everywhere.

I’d certainly recommend anyone considering to look at a Mazda. I’m not going to say it’s the best thing ever as everyone looks for different things, but I thoroughly enjoy driving mine and the hassle free journey I’ve had with it so far. The only negative is the mild hybrid really is just mild, it’s a tiny battery to help when pulling away from junctions so it doesn’t have full electric mode.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:58 pm I got the CX30 Homura spec with the sky active X in auto so 8.6s 0-62. Took a bit to get used to as Mazda don’t use turbos, they just use 2L petrol engines. The car is comfortable, quieter than the troc I had in the past, doing 41-42mpg early on in its life and (touchwood) hasn’t put a foot wrong from day one unlike every VW I’ve had where there’s always been at least a little niggle. It’s also quite fun to drive and soft touch materials everywhere.

I’d certainly recommend anyone considering to look at a Mazda. I’m not going to say it’s the best thing ever as everyone looks for different things, but I thoroughly enjoy driving mine and the hassle free journey I’ve had with it so far. The only negative is the mild hybrid really is just mild, it’s a tiny battery to help when pulling away from junctions so it doesn’t have full electric mode.
I have been looking at either the CX30 or the Taigo - but the Taigo (fully specced ) is more expensive than a fully specced Polo GTI !!

I would go for the MX-30 RE if it wasn't for the daft door arrangement !! (a rear hinged half door...)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

I’d certainly advise getting the faster sky activ X unless economy is your prime reason for the slower engine. Get one on test drive, I did and it was the better car (in my opinion) compared to the others I tested - XC40 and Lexus UX. The Mazda was £5k cheaper than the Volvo with more kit and had a bigger boot than the Lexus whilst being cheaper and less easy to steal. Seriously look up Lexus UX stolen and it’s ridiculous how easy they are to steal.

I just needed a change after two golfs (standard and gtd), three polos (blue gt, two gtis and one that lasted four weeks as it was broken) a troc and a Tiguan. All the interiors were basically the same bar the seats and there was more and more haptic buttons. The Mazda has proper buttons and dials.

I would come back to VW for the right price and once I’ve had a break but this car is a breath of fresh air and would recommend the brand to anyone wanting a change.