Selecting a used Polo

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mk6Polo
New
Drives: Mk6

Selecting a used Polo

Post by mk6Polo »

I am looking at used polos MK6 in the South-East/London

My main criteria are: 3/4 years old max (i.e 70 plate onwards), 95 PS, Metallic paints, front/rear sensors, manual, petrol. Mileage up to 25/30k is okay if well-maintained.

With a budget of up to £17k, I have seen a few similar to the following:

https://www.alandaygroup.co.uk/vw/car-d ... atch-tsi-6

With the used ones, the PCP contribution is only £250 and you get 2-years free servicing. I have tried to haggle but with not much luck.

I wanted to ask anyone who has the 115ps models how they are? Does it add much to the used price? I do some motorway/dual carriageway driving as well as country roads.

I am looking at the SEL ranges which include park sensors and climate control and quite a few features. The '21 SEL is almost like the new facelifted models in terms of technology It seems that the R-line is quite a jump in price. I have noted that the Match and SEL don't differ too much in price. I have also noted the "united" trim is quite good.

Is anyone able to explain how the cars are priced/valued. I suppose the main criteria is the age, then mileage, then trim/condition etc? I am shopping around dealers so I can spot if something is a good deal. I looked into some of the larger dealers and it seems they are sometimes moving stock across the country which is not necessarily good in terms of tracing history etc. I also noted some from seaside towns with excess rust in only 3 years.

If I was going to buy brand new with the front and rear sensors on a Life trim, this would take me up to £24,000 ish. Even with VW deposit contribution (£1,250) and maybe £500 from the dealer it is still quite steep in a sense.

One of my main concerns with a used car is obviously future repairs and the chance of something going wrong. Many of the cars I suppose are ex-lease and may have taken quite a beating. I am using a detailed checklist and going on test drives. I am sticking to main dealers. I am also thinking of an independent check when I buy. The service history doesn't go into too much detail, only key dates. Am I right in suspecting that dealers get their cars MOT'd at places where they may be trying to hide advisories as these can be subjective? Are there any key service intervals where certain parts need to be replaced say after 30k miles?

I also need a spare wheel (ideally full-size). I have noted different dealers quote different prices which shocked me. Is this normal? Also I am thinking of getting my car professionally detailed later if needed. I also need to keep aside some money for unexpected repairs. I suppose after 3 years, the tyres will be quite worn, brake pads and maybe some other consumables. I noted some used Polos were on the annual/fixed service cycles, while others had variable servicing and not serviced for almost 2 years.

I am not in a rush and doing some investigation at the moment and reading reviews as well. Any known issues with 21 plate TSI polos? Any ideas for the above?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Selecting a used Polo

Post by SRGTD »

I don’t own the models of Polo that you’re considering. However, I do currently own a Polo (2020 70 plate GTI+) and my previous four cars were VW’s, so hopefully I can answer some of your questions (apologies for the long post!).

If you’re buying from a VW dealer on VW Solutions PCP, be aware that the APR on used VW’s is significantly higher than the rate on new VW’s and VW’s deposit contribution on used cars is usually much lower than it is on new cars. So you may find that the lower APR / higher deposit contribution makes a new car more achievable financially.

On how used cars are priced / valued; as you’ve said, age, mileage and condition will be factors as will service history. Additionally, factors such as those below will also have a bearing on the dealer’s selling price;
  • the price the dealer paid for a car.
  • the profit margin the dealer works to.
  • the cost to the dealer in preparing the vehicle for sale - e,g. new tyres (if required), repairing cosmetic bodywork scratches / alloy wheel refurbishment if required, servicing / mechanical repairs.
  • the cost to the dealer of providing VW’s Approved Used warranty.
So how much a dealer has paid for a car, how much it’s cost them to prepare it for sale and their profit margin requirements will all have a bearing on how flexible they may be on discounting the selling price.

I think the SEL and R Line trim levels will appeal to different customer segments; SEL equipment levels tend to be more generous than those on the R Line and probably appeals more to a more mature customer, whereas the R Line which has some of the GTI’s styling cues (but less standard equipment than the SEL) and those styling cues probably appeal more to younger owners.

You’ve mentioned that you’ve seen 3 year old Polos with ‘excess rust’; that’s quite surprising. I can’t recall any forum members highlighting ‘excess rust’ issues on the current shape Polo. On those vehicles you’ve seen that are showing signs of excess rust, I’d be interested to know which parts are rusting - if it’s the brake discs or the rear brake drums then it’s pretty normal for them to show signs of corrosion as those parts are made from (largely unprotected) ferrous metal. The brake drums usually have just a thin layer of paint on them so are prone to corrosion when exposed to the air and / or moisture. Brake discs are unpainted for obvious reasons so will get covered in light surface corrosion when exposed to moisture. It’s also not unusual for suspension components to show signs of surface corrosion on a three year old car as they won’t go through the same corrosion protection process on the factory production line as the car bodyshell and body panels. I’d expect a three year old Polo’s bodywork to be pretty much free of corrosion, unless it’s been seriously neglected or damaged and badly repaired. Diamond cut alloy wheels might be the exception as the diamond cut finish tends to be less durable than painted / powder coated alloys - it’s not unusual for diamond cut alloys to suffer from white worm corrosion at around the 2-3 mark (sometimes sooner).

Any car - new or used - can go wrong. With a car sold under VW’s Approved Used scheme, you do have the benefit of a two year warranty. However, as with all insurance based car warranties, there are exclusions and the warranty won’t be as comprehensive as VW’s new car warranty (even the new car warranty has exclusions). As for MOT’s - I dare say many (most if not all) VW dealerships will be licensed MOT test stations, so if a car being prepared for sale needs to be MOT’d, then they’ll carry it out themselves.

VW used to provide a spare wheel as part of the car’s standard spec (I think the pre-facelift Polo Beats model was the exception). However, they stopped doing this 2-3 years ago and a spare wheel is now an extra cost option. It might be that dealers quote different prices for a spare wheel as there are different types / sizes - e.g. full size or space saver. If you find the ‘right’ car and it doesn’t have a spare wheel, then you might be able to get the dealer to agree to include a spare wheel kit as part of the deal, or include it at a reduced price.

Scheduled servicing items outside the normal ‘standard’ service;
  • brake fluid change. VW have changed the interval of the first brake fluid change in the last couple of years. It used to be at three years and then subsequent brake fluid changes every two years. The first change is now at two years then subsequent changes every two years thereafter.
  • I’m not sure whether spark plugs form part of the standard service (I think the frequency of spark plug changes depends on the model and year of the car).
  • VW will recommend the air con is serviced every two years - note; this is a recommendation rather than a requirement.
VW’s default service regime is long life / flexible servicing. It can be changed to the fixed (time and distance) service regime. VW’s recommendation on which regime should be followed (depending on the vehicle usage) is at the link below;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... dules.html
mk6Polo
New

Post by mk6Polo »

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I saw a car recently. Interestingly the car was listed around £15,700 and then later they changed it to 15,300. Apparently is stock doesn't move within 60 days they try to send to another site or possibly change the price.

The 95 PS exceeded my initial expectations. Are you able to explain more about the TSI engine. I have been reading up about turbos, and turbo lag. The 1.0 engine is quite economical, yet produces a lot of torque when needed. I took it for a motorway test drive. I noted that the acceleration in gears 2 and 3 and somewhat in 4th was fast, with a feeling of a turbo. When I reached 60mph, the rate of acceleration slowed down and I had to press the throttle hard to get it up to 70mph.

Can you explain how the same sized engine, turbocharged, can produce two different outputs (95 and 110PS) - is this a different turbo? Later down the line are there any reliability issues with these turbos?

In terms of a cash price the dealer was very reluctant to negotiate - other "than a tank of fuel".

I noted some mossy/algae on some of the trim and areas needing cleanup - what can I negotiate to get cleaned/prepared with the dealer? The paintwork and alloys seemed fine.

I am also looking at dealers within a 2 hour drive of home. What are the downsides of buying away from home, lets say there is warranty work? I know that I can get servicing done locally with the servicing plan.

In terms of a cash purchase - the handover process. I was told that they tax the car for me (but include the price to me). I was told that I should make the payment before the day of collection. I have a handover checklist from a car which I bought new. Usually you also have to pay a small deposit. The whole process apparently takes around 4 days.

I am also mentally keeping 800-1000 pounds aside for any unexpected issues - e.g. wear and tear items which could need replacing in the 4th year - brake pads, pollen filters, changing batteries, fluids, tyres etc.

With the servicing plan there appear to be two options: £492 (minor/major service), or £678 with air filter/spark plug as well. There is also the "all-in" for £40 monthly I think. Would the "all in" 2 years extended warranty effectively duplicate with the approved used warranty?

I also have a mk4 golf with around 180,000 miles. It still has an MOT, but not in very good condition. Is there any worth trying for a trade-in? Or better to scrap and get maybe £250? I suppose it is no use to the dealer really.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

mk6Polo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:21 pm I saw a car recently. Interestingly the car was listed around £15,700 and then later they changed it to 15,300. Apparently is stock doesn't move within 60 days they try to send to another site or possibly change the price.
I think that’s pretty normal practice; reducing the price might entice prospective customers to buy. Moving stock around within a dealership where they have more than one premises creates the impression of a busy, successful dealer whose vehicle stock is in demand.
mk6Polo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:21 pm
The 95 PS exceeded my initial expectations. Are you able to explain more about the TSI engine. I have been reading up about turbos, and turbo lag. The 1.0 engine is quite economical, yet produces a lot of torque when needed. I took it for a motorway test drive. I noted that the acceleration in gears 2 and 3 and somewhat in 4th was fast, with a feeling of a turbo. When I reached 60mph, the rate of acceleration slowed down and I had to press the throttle hard to get it up to 70mph.

Can you explain how the same sized engine, turbocharged, can produce two different outputs (95 and 110PS) - is this a different turbo? Later down the line are there any reliability issues with these turbos?
Sorry, can’t explain more about the 1.0 TSI engine; I’ve never owned a car with this powerplant. As for the different power outputs of the 1.0 engine, this discussion topic was from a few years ago;

viewtopic.php?t=73207
In terms of a cash price the dealer was very reluctant to negotiate - other "than a tank of fuel".
There does seem to be greater reluctance by dealers to negotiate on the price of used vehicles than on new vehicles. With a used vehicle, IMHO willingness to negotiate will depend on how much margin the dealers has to play with after taking into account various factors such as what they paid for a specific car, expenses incurred in preparing it for sale, how long it’s been sitting on the forecourt, their profit margin objectives (there will no doubt be other factors impacting a dealer’s willingness to negotiate on price).
mk6Polo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:21 pm I noted some mossy/algae on some of the trim and areas needing cleanup - what can I negotiate to get cleaned/prepared with the dealer? The paintwork and alloys seemed fine.
I’d personally prefer a dealer not to do this type of cleanup; I’d prefer to do it myself as many dealers cleaning / valeting skills leave a lot to be desired! Dealership free complimentary service washes aren’t known as as a free scratch n swirl treatment on many forums for no reason 😮 🤣. I never let the dealer inflict their free service wash on my car when it goes in for servicing - in fact I specifically instruct them not to wash it!
mk6Polo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:21 pm I am also looking at dealers within a 2 hour drive of home. What are the downsides of buying away from home, let’s say there is warranty work? I know that I can get servicing done locally with the servicing plan.
I’m pretty certain that VW’s Approved Used warranty allows you to use any VW dealer for warranty work; you don’t have to use the dealer you bought the car from. Worth having a read of the small print int the warranty booklet;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/cont ... ooklet.pdf

The main disadvantage I could foresee is getting any non-warranty issues sorted that you discover after collecting the car that the dealer agreed to fix as a condition of sale. VW’s Approved Used warranty essentially covers sudden and unforeseen electrical and mechanical issues, so if a dealer agreed to fix any cosmetic damage but failed to do so, then it would be necessary to go back to selling dealer to rectify those issues. IMHO that makes it important to check over the car very carefully at time of collection; try and get the dealer to agree to keep the car under cover on collection day so it’s clean and dry and easier to inspect.
mk6Polo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:21 pm With the servicing plan there appear to be two options: £492 (minor/major service), or £678 with air filter/spark plug as well. There is also the "all-in" for £40 monthly I think. Would the "all in" 2 years extended warranty effectively duplicate with the approved used warranty?
There will be areas of duplication between the benefits of VW’s Approved Used scheme and the ‘All In’ product in addition to areas of overlap under the actual warranty cover (e.g. MOT cover, Roadside Assistance cover). If I was buying a vehicle under VW’s Approved Used scheme, I wouldn’t consider buying the All In product until expiry date of the Approved Used warranty; the dealer will have factored cost of the Approved Used warranty / other Approved Used benefits into the price of the car you’re buying, so buying the All in product would mean you’d be paying twice.
mk6Polo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:21 pm I also have a mk4 golf with around 180,000 miles. It still has an MOT, but not in very good condition. Is there any worth trying for a trade-in? Or better to scrap and get maybe £250? I suppose it is no use to the dealer really.
The benefit of trading in would mean you’re not without a car as you’d have the Golf up to the point that you drive away from the dealership in your new car. As a trade in, you’re likely to get offered very little for your Golf; because of its age and condition, it’s not a car the dealer could put on their forecourt to sell. A dealer would probably just offer you a nominal amount and put it into an auction to move it on. With an older car such as yours, they might recommend you consider selling to one of the car buying services such as We Buy Any Car as it saves them the time and cost of getting it put into an auction.
mk6Polo
New

Post by mk6Polo »

I am looking at a few SEL's

The following one is a 68' plate with 25,000 miles

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 24&fromsra

Do you have any comments on having a car which is around 6 years old. My annual mileage is around 5 to 6k miles, so many years before reaching 80-90k where many expensive repairs are often needed. Mentally I feel that 3 years is a good spot for the £15,000-17,000 budget.

Here is a 71' plate with 18,000 miles

I have also seen one in Limestone Grey (metallic). Do you think that colour is a good choice or a bit gaudy? I suppose it is less marketable than a silver or blue or red. I know that the urano gray (solid) is the free basic colour.

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

From the pictures, all three look OK. I’m a bit ‘old school’ though, and would always want to see a car ‘in the metal’ before committing to buy it as it’s not possible to see all potential imperfections from pictures however good the picture resolution - I’d be prepared to travel to view what I thought was the right car and wouldn’t just settle for the first car I viewed. It’s also worth taking someone with you to give a second opinion as they may spot a potential issue(s) that you don’t.

You mentioned you had a list of things to check, so presumably you have the undernoted items on that list (you probably have other items too). You could also ask the dealer for a copy of the completed multipoint checklist that should be completed prior to a vehicle being eligible to be sold under VW’s Approved Used scheme. I don’t know if they’d provide this, but there’s no harm in asking.
  • bodywork; panels are all undamaged, no signs scratches, parking dings / dents or stone chips, or evidence of poor repairs, all shut lines and panel gaps are uniform and even. Check windscreen and headlamps for damage.
  • check interior trim and upholstery for damage.
  • wheels and tyres; no kerb damage to the alloys, all tyres are matching and are a good, known brand (could be an indication of good maintenance by previous owner(s)) and decent tread depth. Also check for the presence of a spare wheel; VW used to fit a spare as part of the car’s standard spec, but a few years ago a spare wheel became and extra cost option. If a car you’re considering doesn’t have a spare and it’s important to you, try and negotiate getting one included as part of the deal.
  • does the car have the optional smoker pack, which would be an indication of a previous owner being a smoker? Tell tale signs could be a discoloured headlining and stale smoke smell from the interior. The smell can be temporarily ‘hidden’ by a dealer by the use of air freshener / deodoriser products, but once the effect of those products has worn off, it’s very difficult - if not impossible - to get rid of the stale smoking smell. Having said that, I can’t see the optional ashtray in the pictures of any of the three cars you’re considering.
  • MOT history - if car is more than three years old; check government website for passes, fails and advisories. No fails and no advisories could be an indication - but not necessarily a guarantee - of a well maintained car.
  • both keys are present, as it is quite expensive to get a replacement.
  • check all electrical equipment and accessories work, if they don’t, it’s better - and easier- to get issues rectified before buying, especially if you’re not buying locally.
  • test drive; try and get a decent length test drive and listen for any ‘strange’ noises, ensure the operation of clutch, brakes, gear change, steering are all OK and there are no vibrations through the steering, brakes or pedals.
As for colour - we all like different things. Limestone Grey is a bit of a Marmite colour IMHO. In certain lighting conditions, it can look a bit ‘mushroomy brown’ which won’t be to everyone’s taste, but in other lighting conditions it looks good. Of the three, if colour was the sole deciding factor, I’d probably go for Energetic Orange as I think it looks good in all lighting conditions and it isn’t one of the typical, more dull colours that VW have a tendency to use.

If budget isn’t too much of an issue, I’d be inclined to go for one of the two newer cars. I’d want to see the service history; my preference would be to go for a car that’s on VW’s annual / time and distance service regime, so it would have been serviced every year rather than a car that’s on the flexible / long life service regime, where cars can go up to two years between services. I know oil technology has advanced over the years, but I don’t like the idea of a car not having an oil and filter change for up to two years. Be aware that VW service records are digital and have been for a years now (I think from around 2017/2018), so there won’t be a stamped service history book for newer cars. Dealers can print out the service history from VW’s system, provided the car’s been serviced by VW which it should have been if it’s being sold under the VW Approved Used scheme (some independent non-VW garages have access to VW’s online service history database to update a car’s service history).

Of the three, I’d probably favour the Reef Blue car. I did notice from the pictures that one of the plastic wheel bolt covers (usually the one on the locking wheel bolt) on each of the wheels that you can see in the pictures has discoloured; often happens if harsh or unsuitable (strong or non-ph neutral) cleaning products have been used, and could be an indication of regular trips to one of the local hand car wash places, so I’d be checking the paintwork over carefully for signs of poor washing (e.g. light scratching and / or swirl marks). If it checked out OK or any issues were just minor that I could polish out with my machine polisher then I think I go for the blue car. I’d get the dealer to replace the discoloured wheel bolt covers though (would only cost them a few pence as the covers are cheap).

Good luck. Hope you find a car that ticks all the boxes for you 🤞.