HID problems - EPC&Engine Warning Lights - SOLVED!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Wai_Mak
Bronze Member

HID problems - EPC&Engine Warning Lights - SOLVED!

Post by Wai_Mak »

Has any of you guys that have installed aftermarket HID's on your 9N's had this problem come up??

Im using 8000kelvin colour bulbs - are they more power draining? any idea's?
Last edited by Wai_Mak on Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

What's a HID? :oops:
Wai_Mak
Bronze Member

Post by Wai_Mak »

sylonien wrote:What's a HID? :oops:
High Intensity Discharge - Xenons
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Oh right. Should of said! :P

Me dunno then. I use standard halogen ones. Didn't know you can get HID/xenons for the Polo.
Wai_Mak
Bronze Member

Post by Wai_Mak »

sylonien wrote:Oh right. Should of said! :P

Me dunno then. I use standard halogen ones. Didn't know you can get HID/xenons for the Polo.
Sorry! I assumed everyone knew!!

You can just about fit them on any car that has a 12V battery and uses a standard bulb fitment.
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Oh right. Interesting. :P Cool. Bet they're expensive....
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Right, after 5 useless posts, let me ask the first (obvious) question:

Are you sure it has to do with the HID's? Does the error go away when you unplug the hid's and perhaps reset the fault code?

HID's use less power than regular bulbs. If you've wired them right, they should not cause any problems.

I think it's something else going on...
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Speedlaw wrote:Right, after 5 useless posts, let me ask the first (obvious) question:

well thanks. :twisted:
Wai_Mak
Bronze Member

Post by Wai_Mak »

Speedlaw wrote:Right, after 5 useless posts, let me ask the first (obvious) question:
I agree!! defeats the whole point of the query!! LOL
Speedlaw wrote:Are you sure it has to do with the HID's? Does the error go away when you unplug the hid's and perhaps reset the fault code?

HID's use less power than regular bulbs. If you've wired them right, they should not cause any problems.

Okay! This problem has occur every since ive installed 8000k colour bulbs. Before when I was using the 5600k colour, I think it was fine then but i am not 100% sure.

In the day light its fine because I dont need to turn on the lights but during at night... sometimes once i turn the HIDs on, the EPC and Engine lights come on... and whats worse if I do not rev the engine above 500rpm, the engine cuts out. I have to keep driving and revving making sure it does not drop below 500rpm otherwise i have to start the car up again!!!

I've resetted the fault code from my dealer and it still comes up. :cry:

What Ive also done is have a direct 12v feed from car battery to a 30AMP relay switch(the switch is in my console) and then to the ballasts. So I am not going thru the normal head lamps power but direct from the battery. The problem still occurs. :cry:

I know HIDs are meant to be less power but they do drain more current than normal halogens. :!:

What else do u think it is?? :?:
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Why don't you revert back to the 5600k bulbs to see if this issue occurs, as you said you could not be 100%.

If it doesn't then the 8000k bulbs could be faulty, you could then go back to the provider see if they can replace them or ask them what could be the cause. It can be dangerous involving a dealer as they may turn round and try to invalidate your warranty.

Des
Wai_Mak
Bronze Member

Post by Wai_Mak »

des_pd_ tdi wrote:Why don't you revert back to the 5600k bulbs to see if this issue occurs, as you said you could not be 100%.

If it doesn't then the 8000k bulbs could be faulty, you could then go back to the provider see if they can replace them or ask them what could be the cause. It can be dangerous involving a dealer as they may turn round and try to invalidate your warranty.

Des
I Spoke to Alan from VAGPARTS today and he gave me some great information. What he told me was that the 5600k and 8000k bulbs both consume the same amount of power. Only difference is the colour.

Now, he said I ought to take my car to an auto electrician and get my electronic system diagnosed.

Does anyknow know how much it cost per hour for an auto electrician??

But im pretty sure its the HIDs affecting it.... because it doesnt occur unless I turn them on.

ITs very odd because 35 Watts is actually less power consuming that the 55W standard halogens..
Joy
Bronze Member

Post by Joy »

Wai Mak,

I think you are having a ground problem. Did you connect your ground-wire to the car or to the negative wire of your headlight ?

The ground should be connected directly to the car. If this aint done properly you are running negative 20000 volts through your dash. That would explain the lights flashing on and off.
Wai_Mak
Bronze Member

Post by Wai_Mak »

Joy wrote:Wai Mak,

I think you are having a ground problem. Did you connect your ground-wire to the car or to the negative wire of your headlight ?

The ground should be connected directly to the car. If this aint done properly you are running negative 20000 volts through your dash. That would explain the lights flashing on and off.
No way!! 20000v will do some serious damage to my car! and probably melt the electrical system!! LOL Its 12V that will connect to the headlight negative wire. and 23000V is what my ballasts charge up to. but its only 23KV going to the HID bulbs, not to the headlight negative wire...

what i've done is connected the ground wire to the negative polarity on the battery. Which is a ground of the car.

It is still really a mystery. I still dunno whats going on with these silly lights!! :roll:
Joy
Bronze Member

Post by Joy »

Hmm I connected my groundwire directly to the car. You should try to use another ground.
Wai_Mak
Bronze Member

Post by Wai_Mak »

There was problem with the speed sensor in the engine causing this to fault and therefore warning lights came it.

After the sensor was repaired. I can turn on my HIDs whenever and have no problems!

They repaired this when I did my service at VW. Got charged £186 and they gave me a courtesy car to drive aswell! Was really pleased compared to my local garage in North London Alan Day - was quoted £349 for the full service.

Going to get my suspension brushes changed aswell before Christmas - Thanks for the forum by Nelson and follow ups.