test drive

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
dubpolo
Sponsor

test drive

Post by dubpolo »

Hey guys

Just tort I’d tell you I’m driving the ford fiesta ST150 on Friday, lets see what its like!
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

Try and enjoy! :roll:

I do quite like the shape of the Fiesta but its a ford and the performance isn't too special. Only an extra 25bhp from a 2.0 litre compared with the 125bhp from a 1.6 for the Polo GTi.

Anyway, i wish i could see the salesman's face when you turn up and give the ST150 a bit of a thrash.

Let us know how it goes.

P.S £1100 for a watch. :shock: Gangsta Baby. 8) :lol:
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

im goign to kill it!!!! :lol: i want to make him SH@T himself!! :lol:

i don't want one, just i want to see how it drives
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

M@Turner wrote:P.S £1100 for a watch. :shock: Gangsta Baby. 8) :lol:

:lol:

Ford Fiesta ST150: 0-60 in 7.9 secs and tops out at 129mph. I left today's Auto Express at work :roll: but IIRC it was quite highly rated. It came top ina test against the SEAT Ibiza FR, Skoda Fabia vRS and Renault Clio 182. Be interesting to see how it compares to the Polo eh dubpolo?
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

we will see ay!

:D
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

I drove a Ford StreetKa last week and it was s*%t. No performance at all, heavy steering and i couldn't see anything in the driving position.

Kill the car though, and not yourself. God, i sound like a mother. :oops:
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

well the tyers will be WELL scrubed in anyway.

i went in on my lunch break in my overalls, and said i wanted a test drive.

the sales man looked at me and said

"will you be looking for part ex?" in a look down my noise way :evil:

when i pointed my car out he turned into a really nice chap :roll:

typical!
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

dubpolo wrote:i went in on my lunch break in my overalls, and said i wanted a test drive.

the sales man looked at me and said

"will you be looking for part ex?" in a look down my noise way :evil:

when i pointed my car out he turned into a really nice chap :roll:

typical!
It doesn't just happen to young drivers - this may turn into a Tahrey syle post!!!

My dad and I had a long discussion about changing his car when he semi-retired a few years back - I get a bit upset at this point cos it's the only time he asks for my input and then he does exactly the same thing so I feel like I'm wasting my time - he always buys cars he can "justify" normally F*rd, diesel and horrid (not that diesels are horrid :oops: )

Anyway I throw a comment in along the lines of what do you want my input for - it'll be another s**t F*rd mundaneo with a wheezy asmatic engine and only the colour and reg plate will change :shock:

Anyway he reacts and says well I can't justify anything else

I reply

- you do 4,000 miles a year max
- you have a bad back so need good adjustable seats
- your legs aren't as good as they used to be so auto would be handy
- when you do use the car it's always to go somewhere for a function or meeting and you turn up in a crappy F*rd that chucks black smoke out when you start it!!!

Bottom line it's a bloody reps car isn't it about time you treated yourself to a bit of luxury!!! or at least bought something you wanted rather than something you felt you had to justify - what car would you really like - you know money no object - never been able to afford (or justify) for christs sake treat yourself cos you can afford it......

His reply astounded me

"well I've always hankered after a Jag"

"Do it I said - no pockets in shrouds and I don't want it (long story) but I'll expect to see another s**t F*rd mundaneo with a wheezy asmatic engine and only the colour and reg plate will change next time I see you......"

Anyway 2 months later I'm visiting and Mum says your dad would like your opinion on his new car - yeah I say another F*rd oil burner - but I'll humour him and say nice colour compared to the last one

He flips the garage door open and whats in there but a Dark Green Jag 3.6 1999 6 mths old and with just 5K on the clock - it's flippin loaded with leather and toys and drives superb.

Anyway I digressed

He tells me he went to this Jag dealership in his gardening gear - in the last mundaneo which hadn't seen a wash in the three years he'd owned it - having dropped a load of garden rubbish at the tip - it was persisting down with rain so he must of looked like a tramp at best

Walks into the showroom (paddles about a bit in the water dropping of his coat) and starts looking at this 6 mth old Jag - he looks in the bonnet and boot - looks in all the windows and no-one comes near him

He looks down all the flanks and peers into the arches - kicks all the tyres inspects all the wheels for kerbing and still no-one comes near him although he knows he is being watched

He goes in the boot again and checks the spare and toolkit is there

leans in and puts radio five on so he can listen to the football

Still he is ignored

He makes a detailed examination of all the bodywork and headlights and despite the fact he has caught the eye of at least two of the staff - in his viewpoint indicating that he would like some dialogue he is still ignored

At this point he was about to leave but decided to try the seat for comfort

He and opens the door and slumps down into the leather seat - salesman walks across (obviously worried about the dirt marking the imaculate ivory hide and says in a very condescending manner "is sir interested in the car?"
"Yes always fancied a Jag but never been able to afford one" the old chap says "but I think this one is rather overpriced - how much for cash no finance and no car to trade in" - (the salesman probably breathed a huge sigh of relief on the part ex bit) and said "if sir could afford it then the price with no trade and if you paid £25,000 today the car would be yours" - (£2,500 of the window sticker price)

"Hmm - I am tempted it is a very nice car would it be serviced and valet'd properly have decent carpet mats in it instead of these paper things"

By this point the salesman is convinced he has someone in the showroom who is bored on a Saturday afternoon and says yes all those things would be done

Dad got his cheque book out and wrote a cheque out for the full amount and said I'll pick it up next week - the salesman didn't know what to say except "right sir" It wasn't condescending then

BTW they still collect the car on a low loader for a service and leave him a replacement even if he has no plans to use a car that day and it's cheaper a year to service than his last Monduneo.....

Last time we spoke he said "I cannot understand why I didn't do it earlier"

He washes it if it's dirty and waxes it as often as he washes it I have never ever known him cherish a car before this one - if it so much as coughs out of place he's on the phone to me - he had three stone chips on his bonnet one time when I looked at the car - the next time I saw the car he had none - "was looking a bit tatty on the front so I had the bonnet and wings resprayed"

He vets people trousers for studs before they are allowed in the car.....

What a transformation!!!!!
tainmrk3polo
Bronze Member

Post by tainmrk3polo »

i gave a st a run off the lights the other day.... and by the osund of the engine note coming from him, i think he was trying! i had him up to 50 then he did me
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

That's a great story, I would have loved to see the salesmans face when your dad wrote out the cheque :lol: :lol:

I was totally ignored when I went into a showroom and told them I wanted a Civic Type-R. Then when they finally realised I would be buying it straight off the were all over me. Although when they said there was a 6 month waiting list I told them I would be taking my business else where.

I played about 4 dealers against each other and got an amazing price for it. In fact the trade in price I've been offered on a new GTi is MORE than what I bought the car for last summer. And that's if I wait until March.

Although I must admit I use it as an excuse to test dive some nice cars. :P

James.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

wicked............. big up your dad.... and yourself for prodding him :D

mondeos, ugh! behave!

How much weight does the st150 carry, thats the question.. have they stripped it back to shave a few kilos and make it more perky?
Or tossed a load of toys in (PAS, aircon, lecky windows, stuff like that) making it a bit of a whale, killing drivability at low rpms and holding it back when racing.
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

its a fat B@stard! 1800KG!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: thats alot of tin and plastic! :lol:
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Kerb weight is 1137kg according to the website. Which is still more than my CTR (according to a weigh bridge)

Anyone know the weight of the new golf gti? and the r32?
Neimad
Getting There!

Post by Neimad »

Petrified wrote:Anyone know the weight of the new golf gti? and the r32?
Kerb weight (according to WhatCar.co.uk) is:

Golf Mk5 GTI: 1392Kg
Golf Mk4 R32: 1512Kg
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

hopefully test driving a mk5 golf GTI on the weekend! this could be interesting! :lol: