Small plugs at the tailgate.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Small plugs at the tailgate.

Post by ho8882000 »

Hello all,

I found these small plastic plugs plugged into the left and right hand side holes of the tailgate.

From my understanding, those two holes are for water to leave the tailgate, and if they are blocked by a plug how would water leave the tailgate...

My question is, are those plugs suppose to be there or the production line forgot to removal them before shipping the car out?

Can you please kindly help and check if your Polo also have those plugs at the tailgate or not. :oops: Thanks.
20190920_070230.jpg
20190920_070042.jpg
20190920_070026.jpg
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Small plugs at the tailgate.

Post by Adam_013 »

I've also got the bungs in my tailgate too. Image

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Like yourselves, my first reaction was that these rubber or plastic grommets are covering holes that are probably water-drainage holes. But could the holes more likely be for wax-injection, performed during the final stages of the production of the vehicle? It would then make sense to thereafter block them off with grommets.

Blanking off holes in car bodywork is often done to prevent wax that has been injected into various cavities, cills, and box-sections from later running out through the holes. Such waxes normally set fairly hard but have the potential for melting, and therefore running out, in very hot weather.

I'm not saying this is the answer to your observation but am suggesting it as a possibility.
Rocky5
New
Drives: POLO GTI Plus (2019)

Post by Rocky5 »

My car also have three rubber Gromets except the middle one near the " locking badge" has a hole and the one's either side are Covered.
Not sure whether this is normal?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Rocky5 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:27 pm My car also have three rubber Gromets except the middle one near the " locking badge" has a hole and the one's either side are Covered.
I think the centre grommet with the hole is meant to be like that, assuming this design is the same as the mk7 Golf which also has this centre grommet with a hole in it.

On the Golf, there’s a thin hollow tube inside the tailgate that’s attached to this grommet - the other end of the tube is (I think) attached to the bottom / underside of the tailgate badge/ handle inside the tailgate cavity. The tube is there to drain any water that can collect in the recess behind the badge on the tailgate handle when it rains or from washing the car - the water runs down the tube and out through the grommet.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:48 pm
Rocky5 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:27 pm My car also have three rubber Gromets except the middle one near the " locking badge" has a hole and the one's either side are Covered.
I think the centre grommet with the hole is meant to be like that, assuming this design is the same as the mk7 Golf which also has this centre grommet with a hole in it.

On the Golf, there’s a thin hollow tube inside the tailgate that’s attached to this grommet - the other end of the tube is (I think) attached to the bottom / underside of the tailgate badge/ handle inside the tailgate cavity. The tube is there to drain any water that can collect in the recess behind the badge on the tailgate handle when it rains or from washing the car - the water runs down the tube and out through the grommet.
You are correct :-) also my polo build at spain have both of gromets on sides. Guess it is normal
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Got a reply from VW, they say those two holes are for liquid drainage during the Anti-Corrosion Galvanizing process in the production line.

So, in a normal day to day operation we only need the middle hole for water drainage. :?
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

"......they say those two holes are for liquid drainage during the Anti-Corrosion Galvanizing process in the production line".

As I said in my own response to this topic, I suspected there being a strong possibility that the holes were for wax-injection or similar, at time of production. So it seems that my hunch about that was correct. The tailgate is, I believe, fairly well protected against the weather, maybe the only likely entry of water being via the badge, so I guess that's why they leave one of the holes unbunged, just to let the water or moisture out in the event of it getting inside.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Over on some of the Golf forums, there have been a few instances of the rubber drain grommet perishing with age and the drain tube becoming detached, resulting in water draining into the tailgate cavity. Replacement grommet and fitting a new tube is cheap but the cost of getting this fixed at the dealers if it happens outside the warranty period can be expensive. Apparently it’s a cheap and fairly easy DIY fix though.