no accelleration

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
franvw
New

no accelleration

Post by franvw »

I tried one of those magnet things on the fuel line. (99/00 SDI) now my accellerator is dead.
When it first starts after standing a while it will rev, but after it drops below about 1000 it won't pick up again, just ticks over. :cry:
Preheater light flashes on and off and ECU says throttle potensiometer faulty - tried that. Anyone got any ideas? I assume something near injectors has been damaged by magnetism.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

magnet "things"??
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Yeah, elaborate on this magnet thing.

To me it just sounds like coincidence...more like the throttle switch or the wiring around it. I hope VW sell the switches separately!
franvw
New

Post by franvw »

(Forget magnets you clip on fuel line - supposed to clean off laquering from inside heads.)
VW main dealer traced trouble. ECU gave an 'impossible reading'. Failure of throttle position sender. Changed throttle posion sender transducer- no joy.
Failure of ECU. Water drain channel overflowed onto ECU because of blocked by leaves. (regular problem. Why don't they move it?)
Water in ECU - changed and problem solved - minus £1080 :cry:
What a rip off.
Thanks for replies and interest.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Eesh.. that's one pricey chip :(

Btw, for those wondering, magnet things:
http://uk-polos.groovycarrot.co.uk/groo ... engine.jpg
the two green blocks clamped either side of my fuel filter in the fuel line right of the air box. Meant to perform witchcraft on the fuel and make the engine run more efficiently, improve economy and all the rest of that standard sales pitch. In reality, I don't think they do anything, I've certainly never noticed a difference. No idea how magnetism is meant to affect uncharged molecules like petrol is made up of anyway :roll: