Scraping/rubbing noise when turning the sterring wheel

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
BLACK6N_POLO
Silver Member

Scraping/rubbing noise when turning the sterring wheel

Post by BLACK6N_POLO »

My uncle has just bought a purple 1.4L 6n -- and occasionally when u turn the steering wheel there is a scrapping noise (inside the car) -- plastic against plastic i think --- a mate told me he knew some one with this problem and he had to remove the steering wheel and rub some thing dwn-- has any one gt/had this prob??? how do u fix it ?? step by step if possible plz

thanks if u can help!
polo_mf
Bronze Member

Post by polo_mf »

jason my car had this problem not someone i know!! ill find out for u tonite
waseem0000
New

Post by waseem0000 »

i has faced a problem as this and it was in the suspinions and some stuffz there witch tied with the tyres
sorry i cant explan really cuz of ma weak english :?
13twelve
Gold Member

Post by 13twelve »

i had it to

every few months it would happen

and then dissapear real quick

how ever, the supporting bracket that held the wheel height locking thing in place, broke.
James0121
Bronze Member

Post by James0121 »

i had this problem and posted it a while back this is quoted from the post i put it has solved it and never had the noise back.

"The scrapping noise is probably and more than likely the horn connection! these is a ring of brass on the steering collum, and on the back of ur steering wheel is a sorta springy pin! its those rubbing together as u turn the wheel!

remember i have been in ur car and i know the sound that u are talking about and i'm sure i told u this before!

u need to remove the steering wheel (not sure how), clean up the surfaces with some rag or summit and i used a bit of silicone grease to stop mine making noise! when i did that it got quieter and quieter as time went on and it has now gone i believe! "
AshBlueMk4
New

Post by AshBlueMk4 »

On some models there is a rubber boot if the recall has not been done. The boot should be removed because it squeeks against the bulkhead

ash
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

could be something to do with wheel alignement.... (dont take my word for it just a possibility)