1.6 8v AEE tuning parts

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
Ross Clarke
Bronze Member

1.6 8v AEE tuning parts

Post by Ross Clarke »

Anyone come across anything like a uprated cam for this engine?

Thinking of some easy interim mods for my engine, i think its got a little potential to sound a little meaty.

Cheers

Ross
rameshsingh
New

Post by rameshsingh »

i think piper will do you a one off cam but its ££££.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

A cam can be sourced from Schrick in Germany, not too expensive IIRC. Match it with a manifold + free flow exhaust (Supersprint, for instance) and you'll win a few hp. Nothing major though.
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Speedlaw wrote:A cam can be sourced from Schrick in Germany, not too expensive IIRC. Match it with a manifold + free flow exhaust (Supersprint, for instance) and you'll win a few hp. Nothing major though.
He, een mede hollander! Lachen, benk niet meer de enigste Nederlander hier.

But on-topic, I've just scored myslef a camshaft from a Polo 2F GT, from the 3F engine to be precise.

My 1300SPI 6N has a standard 188 degrees cam in it, which isn't that smashin'. But a 3F engine is runned by a 219 degree cam, and guess what, it fits in any Polo engine! :D

The positive thing about a 219 degree cam is that it will provide more power and torque to my SPI, but it isn't to 'sharp' (like a 276 degrees cam from ABT or Schrick or Crane) for my SPI (cause of the single injector in an SPI, a to sharp cam will decrease the drivability and reliability of the car).

This in combination with a exhaustmanifold and a katalyst convertor replacement will provide a serious increas in enginepower.

And the most positive aspect of a 3F cam in comparisson with for instance one from Schrick is that it's a whole lot cheaper (got mine for 70 euro from Ebay, where I also found a ABT cam, for "just" 250 euro, :lol: )