mk5 rear lights on a mk4

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
wils0n86
Bronze Member

mk5 rear lights on a mk4

Post by wils0n86 »

right, i fitted mk5 red rears a few weeks back, changed all the wiring etc so they work properly, got them sitting flush with my boot, replaced the old seals with new ones and sealed the inside too with 'dum dum' .

After coming back from the central park meet today, ive discovered a pond in my boot, or as good as, that originates from the n/s rear light, the o/s light is bone dry.

ive removed the light and checked the seals etc, and there appears to be no splits or cracks etc, although im going to change them again tomorrow to be 100% sure.

Assuming it is not the seal, which im pretty sure its not, does anyone have any idea of where the water may be coming from?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

If the water is in the boot since the replacement of the lights, I'm still pretty confident it's the seal. I was convinced (once) that I'd done everything right when replacing the lights, the I noticed some leakage. Turned out to be the seal; I'd fitted it upside down. Silly me.

:D

Either that, or it's a coincidence - maybe the regular boot seal has gone bad.
wils0n86
Bronze Member

Post by wils0n86 »

ive changed the n/s seal again, and have siliconed where the rear of the light unit sits inside the car (just ran some along the rubber seal with the tip of my finger), allowed it to set and have soaked the rear of the car with a hose pipe for about an hour, and it is not leaking any more, so i hope it has done the trick. I will check it again in the morning though to make sure no water has seeped through any of the seal etc.

I dont think it is the boot seal as the water is originating only on the n/s of the car, although i will bear it in mind if it continues to leak.

I will keep you posted though :roll: