premature tyre wear

Detailing & Bodywork
jmk1
New

premature tyre wear

Post by jmk1 »

Premature wear on Front tyres

I have just acquired a VW polo.I am really happy with it. Unfortunately it failed its MOT the 2 front tyres inside edges were badly worn but 2/thirds of each tyre had loads of thread on them.I had 2 new front tyres fitted . The tyre fitter tells this is a common fault with all polos.He also said I should expect to lose 25 per cent of tyre life on the new tyres.Balance was ok and tracking was spot on. It looks like i am going to paying out on tyres on a regular basis
VW polo N REG. 1995.52000 miles. Immaculate condition.
Anyone else having these tyre problems with VW POLOs. Any comments would be appreciated jmk1

jmk1
PoloCornwall
Bronze Member

Post by PoloCornwall »

haha was he smoking crack?
Did he check the bottom arms?
did he check the caster and camber?
did you get a second opinion on the tracking?

I spent alot of time working with tyres exhaust and brakes, i never heard such a story about polos being prone to uneven tyre wear, get a second oppinion mate
jmk1
New

premature tyre wear

Post by jmk1 »

polo thank you for your comments.Tyre fitter did'nt spot the front off side bonded suspension (lower arm, track control arm)unit needed replacing.
Ihad it done(£77) The nearside front bonded suspension has deterioratedbut but is functioning properly.Should i have this done as well or can i leave it until later on.Could these have been responsible for the premature tyre wear. Thank you for your help

JMK1 :?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

To be honest I'd be worried if your mechanic is telling you such rubbish.. polos are a bit prone to suspension issues as the suspension is set up in such a way that the bushes deteriorate quickly, but if this is the case he should have picked up on it. If your tyres are wearing unevenly then some element of the suspension alignment is out or your suspension is excessively worn, it should be perfectly fixable, and you certainly needn't worry about buying tyres as regularly as that.
jmk1
New

Premature tyre weae

Post by jmk1 »

Thanks Groovy.

I will act on all suggestions

jmk1 :)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

also i think the tracking adjuster (something like that, its been awhile) can get seized up by dirt, rust, time etc and be a pig to shift... i had to leave mine in for a lot longer than expected for a tracking and camber fettle whilst they steam cleaned the damn control so they could shift and adjust it! Maybe he just didnt feel like arsing around with that on the day you were in and made up some BS to have you go away satisfied.

(it was an AA service centre though, so who knows what the real reason was - they could have been tearing up and down the muddy welsh hill behind the place in it for a couple hours for all i knew)