scratches scratches scratches

Detailing & Bodywork
nickpolo
Gold Member

scratches scratches scratches

Post by nickpolo »

hi guys, got my red gti last week - the previous owner has evidently put it through a car awash or two as areas of the car are covered in lots of fine scratches, and then swirl marks.

whats the best way to get the paintwork up to standard, i must be able to get rid of them. am not eager to start using t-cut though, any ideas?

thanks

nick
Jillwilson
Silver Member

Post by Jillwilson »

seriously get t-cutting. lol sorry but it works
x
GTiPunk
New

Post by GTiPunk »

I had a similar problem with my Black GTI and found using a Clay bar and then glazing and waxing took all of the swirl marks out. Also worked for the bird droppings that had 'burnt' into the paint. I used meguiars claybar and then their deep Cyrstal system paint cleaner. The paint cleaner comes in 3 stages.
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Meguiars 3step system is very good indeed.

Clay bar will help clean off surface contaminents and will not remove scratches. the 3 step system is very good at this. Meguiars Scratch-X is a good product too.

Heres a write up i did for someone else on here -

I find it works best in circular overlapping motions. Work a small section at a time and remove before it has chance to dry. Be prepared to go over the area a couple of times. 3 light coats are better than 1 heavy.

Scratch - x generally needs 3-6 applications for light scratches so I would imagine 10 + applications needed for swirl removal, best to concentrate in one panel at a time, maybe even one panel a day or week and expect a sore arm!

Scratch X needs heat to work it properly. This causes the abrasives to break down while polishing to leave a smooth glossy finish. Heat is generated through motion and pressure.