replacement panels

Detailing & Bodywork
nickpolo
Gold Member

replacement panels

Post by nickpolo »

hi guys,

my polo is going into a crash repairers for some work, can you tell me will the replacement parts (ie bonnet, front drivers wing, lower fron bumper etc) will they be as resistant to chips as and rust as the panels that were installed when it was built at the factory, or is there a process it goes through when they cars were built that these replacements wont be subject to?

thanks guys

nick
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

the pannels will be good quality if there OEM VAG parts. so they will be asrustproof as the old pannels. but it depends on the paint they use at the bodyshop if there gonna be chip/stone resitsant.

the paint on german cars is as tough as old boots. as they have to be resitsant to chips at autobhan speeds. 100mph+
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

cool - so if they are using vw parts (which they should do) and vw paint (i think they do) - there shouldnt be any difference?
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

none what so ever.

a few tips tho. before it goes in dont use any silicone type products ( tyre gel ect)

when it comes back dont use tyre gel or anything that has silicone in it for atleast 90-120 days.
dont polish/wax your car for 90-120 days.

the silicone will ruin fresh paint and also makes the painters job 100 times harder as its proper hard to get off.

paint needs time to degass and fully cure this can take upto 120 days so if you were to seal the paint with a wax then the paint cant degass and wont be as tough.

during the degassing stage the paint is not as hard as OEM paint so treat it gently.
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

i've been told they use vw parts, but the paint is ici paint (whatever that is) will this be good quality etc?

thanks
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

all i can tell you abut ICI is they make househoId paint like dulux i know thats not much help but hey
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

ICI is a huge paint manufacturer :)